Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 11:18:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this Real?  (Read 397 times)
RSAJHB
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: April 07, 2020, 07:14:42 AM »

We had been together for 5 years when my wife gave birth to our first child. We had a perfect marriage and this was the next step. It was supposed to be such a magical time, but it wasn't. I was all of a sudden criticized and made to feel useless. I am hardly allowed to look after my daughter, especially without supervision. It feels like I don't know my wife anymore. She is nasty, short tempered, picks fights and holds grudges. all our family and friends are scared to come near her. She has quit her job and hardly leaves the house. We never have people over anymore. It has been 10 months of this and I am tired. Did giving birth trigger her BPD or was it dormant? I feel like I am living in a nightmare
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Naughty Nibbler

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 04:12:58 PM »

Hi RSAJHB:
I'm sorry about your situation.  It has to be very difficult for you. 

Excerpt
   Did giving birth trigger her BPD or was it dormant? I feel like I am living in a nightmare
Certain stressful life events can trigger BPD behaviors in some people.  Usually, it is with people who are already on the edge and have had issues with anxiety, depression or other mental health issues in their life.  They may not have ever had treatment for anything in the past, but perhaps their brain chemistry or wiring has put them close to not having the right balance at times.

A pregnancy changes hormonal levels and it's common for some women to have post-partum depression.  Can you convince her visit her doctor?  Some women may need to take an antidepressant for awhile.

How are things going?

Las1604

Relationship status: Broken Up

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 06:32:44 PM »

Like above, I'd be concerned about post partum depression. 5 years is a long time to go without showing any BPD signs. Maybe suggest that she talks to her doctor... it could seriously be post partum.
Face of Melinda

Relationship status: Married with kiddos

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 09:49:59 PM »

Hello! I'm sorry to hear. The first year of parenting is hard for most couples. But my best guess is that the BPD was there all along... I think there's a honeymoon period in the beginning where you just see brief glimpses of the issues but then it becomes really blatant after a stressor. And parenting is a stressor, pretty much from babies to toddlers to school stuff to middle school and teen years. Not to sound negative... Kids are wonderful ❤️ ... Don't be kept away from your baby no matter what kind of fit she has! If she criticizes you just say, you hear her point or she may be right and you want to have your Dad time.
Las1604

Relationship status: Broken Up

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2020, 12:04:30 AM »

Hello! I'm sorry to hear. The first year of parenting is hard for most couples. But my best guess is that the BPD was there all along... I think there's a honeymoon period in the beginning where you just see brief glimpses of the issues but then it becomes really blatant after a stressor. And parenting is a stressor, pretty much from babies to toddlers to school stuff to middle school and teen years. Not to sound negative... Kids are wonderful ❤️ ... Don't be kept away from your baby no matter what kind of fit she has! If she criticizes you just say, you hear her point or she may be right and you want to have your Dad time.

I think that's very vague and we're not doctors we and can't diagnose. Honestly I'm a little upset, that's irresponsible. She should be checked for post-partum first. BPD does not have a honeymoon phase of years. You're warned, or see symptoms, etc well sooner before that.

This post really bothers me.
Face of Melinda

Relationship status: Married with kiddos

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2020, 01:23:32 AM »

My apologies, perhaps I was jumping to conclusions and not thoughtful enough in my wording. I wouldn't want to suggest I could diagnose her or imply you need not  seek an evaluation for PPD or anything else.  By 'honeymoon' I meant that people can be in a relationship for years without really seeing the patterns and with circumstances just going fairly smoothly, but that may not be your case. I also think people can have PPD with or without BPD but I didn't really articulate that. Thank you I'm learning too! At any rate, best wishes for you and your family.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest