Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 23, 2024, 11:07:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to reconcile "protective dishonesty" part 9  (Read 1526 times)
babyducks

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2020, 07:24:08 AM »

Okay.  But why after all this time, if it was there all along, has it just gotten worse and worse the last five years?  Losing a big case and never recovered?

That's a good question.     That's why we have talked a couple of times about him seeing his general physician regularly.    From what I understand a yearly physical hasn't turned up any organic cause for his sudden change.    No heart attacks, strokes or traumatic brain injury recently?   No TIA's?    Is there a family history of any neurological disease?     His alcohol intake pretty reasonable?    any reason to suspect recreational drug use?    my mother was diagnosed bipolar but she also had a large arachnoid cyst in the brain.     no one ever figured out how one impacted the other.

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lives within us.
UBPDHelp

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2020, 08:13:39 AM »

That's a good question.     That's why we have talked a couple of times about him seeing his general physician regularly.    From what I understand a yearly physical hasn't turned up any organic cause for his sudden change.    No heart attacks, strokes or traumatic brain injury recently?   No TIA's?    Is there a family history of any neurological disease?     His alcohol intake pretty reasonable?    any reason to suspect recreational drug use?    my mother was diagnosed bipolar but she also had a large arachnoid cyst in the brain.     no one ever figured out how one impacted the other.

Oh, ok, got it. He does go pretty regularly.  It’s been probably 2 years...but prior he was good about going every year to year and a half. He missed last year because we were traveling when he was supposed to go and then he wanted to lose weight before going. This year it got bumped because of pandemic.

Alcohol intake is minimal social level, no drug use (he doesn’t even like OTC).  No family history that I am aware of, no TIAs or heart attacks.

His paternal grandmother was called “crazy” a few times. She was dead before I met him so I can’t provide any observational history. H’s dad had an affair and abandoned the family when H was mid 20s. His dad was super charming and I only really ever saw that side, but heard comments of some questionable behavior, besides the affair.

I put these comments in context of my own experience (my dad is so...) and either wasn’t paying attention or just plain too dang naive that I missed  Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post) after Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post). H also said things about mom and still has a weird “I hate you, but do all this stuff for you” relationship with her. She has some annoying traits and is opinionated, but I don’t see narcissism across the board. My older kids are convinced she is the cause of dad being f’ed up.  It’s possible, but I haven’t put my finger on it exactly.

I feel fairly confident on narcissism and some BPD traits. I’ve spent a lot of time trying to understand. This was something I needed to feel comfortable proceeding. It may be a fault, but I take responsibility. Some may be eroded confidence in my view and just plain confusion. I accept that’s who I am.

But, I’m teetering toward more time on where I go from here, what my values are.

I feel negative physical, emotional and mental impacts. I’m not blaming him — I am responsible for myself. I chose to stick around on some delusion that things would get better or that my want and belief in our family would be enough.

The crazy thing is is that right now I feel how he’s been saying all this time. I don’t want to be here with him. I don’t think it’s good for either of us or the kids.

The question becomes, how much worse will it be if we separate, especially if I initiate?

So, I proceed slowly. I’ve detached about 50% emotionally. Still have to function. He’s finally talking about leaving the house so I can safely schedule a call with the L. Remembering it doesn’t mean we will divorce, but that I’m collecting info and preparing if it ends up there.

I’ve been pulling important docs (physical and electronic) and keepsakes that matter. I found a couple of storage options, just need to make sure billing doesn’t come to house.  I can’t imagine what that would do.

I’m selfish (and borderline mean) that I hope he finds someone on Facebook so he’ll let us go.  I know I can’t know exactly what he’s thinking, but he checks it all day, has told me no less than a thousand times it’s how people hook up with old flames and only ever tells me about what the “girls” he knows are doing/saying. It’s wrong to wish, but I still wish it.

Back to reality...just need to prepare for the worst.

I don’t think I have any way to feel the same or close to him again.  The hurt is too great. Yes, things have been better, but I’ve also had more time to step back and really think about the behavior and make sense of some of it. And a gauge I use is what I would tell someone else in my shoes. What if it were one of my daughters?  If my parents were here, what the f would they say?  Get out. You deserve better. This isn’t love.

And here I am.

formflier
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2020, 08:23:16 AM »

I'll put this out there for you and for others to comment on about the "bossing around thing".

Here is the deal, everyone knows that's no good, yet he has been trained that it's ok for a long time.  It needs to be undone, but it needs to be done carefully and consistently.

So...I'm looking for wisdom/input on if now is a good time to address this...or leave it alone for a better time.

Note:  I took a hard line on this and have mostly gotten it out of my relationship.  My gut tells me it comes from your pwBPD's need to "control".

Bossing around is a "kissing cousin" to insults because it often comes out/across as "you would be nothing if not for me to tell you what to do" or "I can't believe you did it that way...you are such a screw up...aren't you glad I'm here to save you..."   Uggg...double and triple uggg

So...before getting into how to undo this...what are people's thoughts on if now is a good time?

Or perhaps we do this with one issue (like the new job and where the work is done)

Best,

FF

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2020, 10:25:35 AM »

Staff only This thread has reached its maximum length and is now locked. The conversation continues here: https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=344998.0

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest