Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 26, 2024, 05:29:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wife (most likely) has BPD - feel like I'm banging my head against wall  (Read 520 times)
Jay1972

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: August 01, 2020, 08:21:16 AM »

Hello to everyone,
I've been reading about bpd for about a year now. I found out about it after an internet search to find help dealing with my wife's erratic temper tantrums and mood swings. Found a bpd information site and after reading testimony from partners of bpd people I came to realise I could have been reading stories from my own life.

My wife exhibits most of the 'checklist' behaviours except for the more extreme impulsive/destructive ones, so from what I understand she would be described as high functioning. Up to that point I could not understand what was going on with her. After learning about bpd I understand more but it is still very hard to cope. Of course she won't acknowledge her part in anything and it is all my fault...

Not sure what I'm asking. She has many really good qualities and I love her but I'm just having a hard time coping with this monster that lurks under the surface. Lately the monster has been rearing up far more frequently and nothing I do seems to make a difference. Even if I seem to do well with it on one day the next day I'm back to square one.

Appreciate any advice.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Football2000

Relationship status: Broken heart

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 10:40:11 AM »

Can you tell us some examples of interactions? For example, does your wife have triggers? Some specific topics that might make her go into a rage episode?

Those are the types of interactions you will typically have to master, by which I mean learn techniques that will help you minimize escalation of that situation. Sometimes, it means not defending, but rather validating and then simply stating some of your own needs. Validation is important also, but in my experience validation has an easy way of going too far: i.e. agreeing to defuse the situation.

If your wife is getting worse, is there something that recently happened that is making it worse? Some situation that she might resent and consequently hold onto that resentment?
Jay1972

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 08:09:22 AM »

Part of why she is getting worse would be our six year old son - who inhabits his own special world of emotional rollercoasters...
He is actually a pretty special child (in the good future world leader sense), but he is hell-bent on experiencing the widest possible array of emotional states. She has a very hard time dealing with him, gets set off into a mood at the slightest provocation.

With me there are a range of what I suppose are the classic situations. She subjects me to the splitting thing quite a lot. Arguments, or even regular level-headed discussions about a topic, are hard because she sees any subject in black and white and will not accept my point of view. I often simply resort to validating her feelings/thoughts just to get out of the dead-end of constant antagonism.

There are a few specific behaviours that trigger her that I try to avoid, but often the triggers are inconsistent: something will trigger her one day but will be completely overlooked on another. Which seems to point to the trigger being more of an internal thing for her.

Her anger is more of a silent time-bomb (more like atom bomb) type thing, which I think might be worse than violent outbursts. The term 'walking on eggshells' doesn't even begin to describe being subjected to one of her episodes.

Getting her to discuss her own feelings is near impossible. At some point she simply shuts down and puts up a mental wall to me. Even if I seem to make some headway with her the next day she might just (metaphorically) upend whatever we built up onto the floor and we start over... Of course it is all my fault it happened.

I have tried to take the approach of being her 'rock' so to speak. I constantly affirm my love for her and my commitment to the marriage, but of course it never satisfies her own feelings.

and tomorrow we start again etc...
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest