Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 09:05:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Exiting a 5 year relationship with a diagnosed BPD  (Read 1736 times)
Schlaff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Breaking up

« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2021, 01:02:00 PM »

@khibomsis

Thanks for that link!

Man, this is something I used to just instinctively know. I was once the most calm, laidback, patient person I knew. This relationship has really damaged that. The time leading up to the break up, and a few months afterwards, I worried I’d never get it back. Kinda realizing right this second, that that’s a silly idea.

I get to choose if I can regain my prior mindset, of old laid back, patient, tolerant, empathetic me. Might be hard, might need some help, like that link. But I can get there.
khibomsis

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Grieving

« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2021, 01:53:02 AM »

OR, I hear you too. I realize that it is much easier for me to do the friends while breaking up thing long distance, it resolves itself into one, maybe a couple of calls a day. Which is far from the stresses and tensions of having to live with her. It leaves me plenty of time to deal with the reality of my CPTSD and examine the deep baggage I brought with me into the relationship. This is working that way, from the only point of view that really matters to me: 1 week no dysregulation  Way to go! (click to insert in post) Talked her off the ledge a couple of times, but getting better at that too. Each time she invokes her self-awareness and with time I am hoping that she will learn to de-regulate herself. For me, the important thing is that she gets healthy. I can't possibly see the relationship as being more important than that. In fact, I wonder if we had reached the point of becoming each other's triggers.  
Those tools really work Schaff. They may take years and lots of pain to acquire but they do.  Keep us posted on how it is going. Are you managing to implement them?

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest