Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 19, 2024, 08:46:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When parents never acknowledge or seem to even remember their profound cruelty  (Read 442 times)
bethanny

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: September 08, 2020, 06:41:26 AM »

The traumatizing criticisms from my alcoholic father when he was drunk I could accept that he would not remember what he said and did.  The traumatizing words when he wasn't drunk (which I am sure were far fewer times than I realized back then) he never acted accountable for. In fact my father would deliver such a devastating judgment of me and then seconds later start chatting about the weather or something equally inoccuous as I was still doubled over from the proverbial punch in the gut. It felt like a second blow, in fact.

A therapist once told me he was being deliberately cruel.  I defended him saying he didn't seem at all aware of the hurt he was causing me from his affect. Was I just fighting to minimize the cruelty?  My mother always defended his cruelty to his kids as his not knowing any better since he had been orphaned at 5. 

My uBPD mother's terrorizing behavior toward me came more rarely than my dad's, the overt rage, though there was often a patronizing tone to her, or her favorite pronouncement, "Whatever possessed you?" if I ever strayed from the good girl role she had assigned me and had cultivated tapping into my natural grandiosity to achieve a laudable persona for her respect.  it was a pedestal the legs of which became shorter the older I grew.  I was what they call a parentified child at times. then again I would be infantilized, too.  I guess that depended on my mother's need at a moment in time. Being mothered by me or babying me.  Didn't make for a smooth emotional development I am thinking for me.

I often excused my mother's abuse as the obvious result of being so stressed out in an alcoholic marriage. My dad's behavior had her acting not like herself I reasoned. If he would only stop drinking she would not change personalities like he did. She used to beg me to get him to stop drinking. Insisted i was the only one who could.  For a long time i assumed my adulthood could begin only when I fixed their marriage by getting him to stop drinking.

Though fewer times she aimed her annihilating anger at me, for something often i had inadvertently done, but I confess i would rather have 1000 insensitive comments from my drunken or sober angry father than one of my mother's condemning pronouncements of me as having fallen from grace and deserving of exorcism at the very least it would seem for betraying her by not being the person she had trusted so.  By not reading her mind and knowing "how she would feel."  This was a requirement she asserted to me from a very early age.

The other thing with my mother was she never acknowledged even let alone apologized for the tasering things she would say. Never ever. It was like amnesia.

And if I dared broach what happened to that seemingly safer mommy later, suddenly the witch mommy got triggered once again and castigated me again, so I lived in an egg shell walking universe with both her and my father. Being as compliant as possible to avoid being in the line of fire. I could not express the hurt she had caused me.  Trying to would trigger more hurting.

When my mother treated me decently I wondered how she really felt about me, which was the real mother. The one who could explode with so much malice or the mother who seemed decent.

If I ever expressed an unhappy feeling about a situation I was in in the family my mother would say shamingly and sarcastically, "Oh, you are soo abused!" as if this was the colossal opposite of my reality and I was so selfish expressing my feelings. 

I feel like I am still re-raising my inner child after all these years.  And I really have to work at self-comfort and what they call global self-esteem.  That is the self esteem that keeps the self-hate at bay when you make a mistake, fail at something, or someone significant gets angry at you.  It doesn't come readily.  I think my ego often punishes me the way my parents' would.

Decades ago, after being estranged for several years from the family because of my mother, her anger and my terror of her anger, and her making such little effort at conflict resolution, she once I remember wrote me a letter saying she had wracked her brain trying to remember a time she had stressed me unfairly.  She had confided something negative about my father after a trip they had taken. My mouth fell open. That was her moment of accountability? That one thing?

She complained to me about my father non-stop.  They had rip roaring ugly fights whenever he came home drunk especially on the weekends, and the older I got the more i was pulled into them, trying to deflect the danger from my mother though it was my mother who was poking him, like at a tiger with a stick, and my father was physically threatening but my mother had such a mean tongue and was so cruel and stinging to him.

Anyway, if I complained about my father, which I did because she was always getting me worked up about him, she would tell me I was being disrespectful, since he was  good provider and had a tough childhood. This was that Karpman Triangle scenario when the rescuer, persecutor, and victim keep shifting roles.

As I got older and tried to live an independent life I saw that this was impossible since there was often a crisis due to my father's alcoholism that pulled me back into the drama and being available for my mother. 

When I moved away briefly and didn't visit my parents often enough according to my mother after college the witch mommy took over the reins for a good long time when i moved back home and it was clear she would never forgive me for that. Looking back I wonder if I was so colossally insensitive as she perceived me.  I will never know the exact nature of that reality.  I know it was a relief to be away from the chronic tension and explosions between my parents. 

I was terrified of my mother.  But I didn't easily acknowledge that to myself. If I did I chastised myself for fearing her since she was such a good mother, my fear must be something very sick about me and not based on her behavior, on reality, though once I broke through my denial I could acknowledge how cruel and shaming she had actually often been to me especially when I was having intense and uncontrollable crying jags that were terrifying me in their frequency, it was like gasoline on a fire, her rage at me for crying. They of course exacerbated the crying.  A mother who was solicitous of me when I was physically ill was so unbelievably punishing when I was emotionally ill. 

Anyway, my dedication to hovering so closely to the orbit of my parents I rationalized that was me as a good daughter who's pity for her parents, especially her mother, kept her own world so small and never seriously launching a truly adult life.  It was more about my childlike fear at not providing the unreasonable focus she demanded from me than about my own preferably perceived adult compassion.

Thanks for listening.

Best,
Bethanny
 With affection (click to insert in post)
formflier
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 10:53:50 AM »

Hey Bethanny

What is your communications like today with your parents? 

How has how you "see" your parents changed over the past while?  It appears you have been doing lots of work on yourself.

Best,

FF

bethanny

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 04:01:04 PM »

FF,

Thanks for your interest and support.

My parents have both passed on.

I was estranged for 10 years from my entire family network.  My mother had her first stroke and I was contacted by a brother and went to the hospital to give support immediately. My brothers weren't sure she would live.

She lived and I rejoined the family in terms of contact and visiting, but accepted there could not be a healthy communication with either parent.  Tough love does not work especially on an unrecovered borderline personality. Paranoia prevails. I found that out the hard way.

It was a relief to reestablish contact with my brothers whom I had missed ferociously.  They were so very protective of my mother but torn by my estrangement.  But followed her "needs" and trusted her faulty narratives about me it would seem.

I had stronger boundaries in terms of distancing from my parents when I resumed contact.  I was grateful for the resumed affinity.  My decade estrangement was not referred to by my mother.  

My mother was so physically vulnerable by then and another stroke eventually put her into a wheel chair with impaired speech,  and my guilt was enormous since she was dependent on an alcoholic narcissistic husband all the more for daily support.  

I had to save my mental health but I had been raised to take care of my parents and older relatives and had and I still feel guilt and great sorrow.  Her swings to abusiveness in her condition would no longer be formidable for me probably but then there was the chronic stress of living with an alcoholic father and enduring that nightmare which I had spent so much of my life futilely trying to fix. I did not "do the right thing" in terms of society. I visited but did not move in to their home as full time caregiver.  

My dad's hearing was poor.  I did take him to some AA meetings at times but he couldn't hear the speakers and didn't show an interest, even though apparently he had spent time in the rooms long ago.

My parents soon moved to be near my brothers who did pull their weight with them in terms of visiting and support and their morale, and they also could at that time thankfully afford to pay for part-time home care workers for my mother's condition.  

My father did his part but he was an alcoholic and the nightmare of her impaired and so needy and him drunk haunted me and still does.

Apparently there was a time during my estrangement when my father stopped drinking but when I resumed contact with the family he was drinking again.  When I would visit them on vacations, I would go to a morning 12 step program to cope.  It helped enormously in keeping my emotional balance.

In fact, family members would sometimes comment, "You went to a meeting today, didn't you?" when I hung onto my serenity when it was tested.

Before both of my parents died, with each I shared a tender moment in which they both said a heartfelt "I am sorry for what happened" and we embraced and cried.  I had long ago surrendered hope of that ever happening.

I do have those precious moments.  

My mother passed on before my dad.

So much heartbreak for all of us on this precious website and within our respective families.

I am weeping as I type this.

Best,
Bethanny
formflier
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 06:43:25 PM »

Bethanny,

Thank you so much for trusting us with your story.   That's heavy.  How does the burden seem now?  Has that changed over time?

Best,

FF

bethanny

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 01:53:42 PM »

Your simple question in some ways feels overwhelming to answer.

When you are raised without unconditional love your hard-wiring does not include something called "global self esteem".  Instead you have something I have read about called "specific self esteem."

Your sense of okayness was too often whammied growing up.  Your faith in yourself.  Your "willingness to be wrong" was abused.

Your primal safety negotiating with and surviving unfortunate dysfunctional parents was based on their "conditional love" -- specific transactions from you to please them -- and your world sometimes seemed a terrifying roller coaster because of their distorted thinking and intense acting out emotionalism. 

At my ripe age I still have to endure at times ambushes of malice and easily feel totally tasered within by irrational shame and terror when these ambushes occur.  I have complex PTSD I self-diagnose, what POWs get when the despair ultimately takes over that they will never be released. I was a POW of my mother's uBPD and her unhappy marriage.

I am so  much stronger today than when I lived in ignorance of what really happened growing up.  So I have more resources to deal with the terrible anxiety and pathological shame experiences that can still get triggered within me.

I have a counseling session about my uBPD bullying work manager in an hour, free with the firm's EPA program.  I don't know the counselor so I am nervous that maybe she won't be empathetic enough to my scenario.  I can survive that if she is not, and it is likely she will to some decent degree be supportive.

I am getting ready to retire and I am panicking that this manager will try to get me fired out of her long-standing and always confusing malice of me, me as one of the sharpest and most dedicated workers in her department. Though her abuse triggers too much sudden self-doubt, shame and panic in me at times.  That is my PTSD getting triggered once again.

I need to rally myself for this abuse and I am.

Your question again. Hmmmm..."I am a work in progress."  As all of us.

When I entered the 12 step program finally decades ago re my father's alcoholism and its devastating effects on the family and myself I was so earnest in finding recovery and grateful for the new knowledge and support.  But in my heart I knew a huge puzzle piece was still missing.

Maybe just a decade ago a friend pointed out my mother soundled like she was an uBPD person. Six therapists I had visited over the years never ever mentioned this.  My friend recommended a fantastic book by Christina Lawson, "Understanding the Borderline Mother."

Long book I read non-stop until the end, nodding constantly.  It was the big missing puzzle piece. I had always blamed stress of my dad's drinking for causing my mother's malicious abuse of me. And for the alternate dark personality she would slip into and later never acknowledge her cruelty to me.  It was colossally invalidating and demoralizing those ambushes. 

Mother could be so wonderful and nurturing at times. I fought to believe and seemed to prefer believing she was fully okay and there was something terribly wrong with me to inspire her abuse.  I just couldn't see it.  I tried to minimize the abuse.  I gas-lighted myself that my fear of my mother was another horrible example of my emotional illness and she in reality did not harbor malice at me.

Today I wish I were more resilient.  Less avoidant of life situations and opportunities because of the risk of asserting my worth against malicious authorities or malicious narcissistic people in general. I also fear my own proclivity to codependency which gets me over-stretched and enmeshed. I never want to live "enthralled" so to another person's will and narcissism as I was with my mother, but over the years I was a magnet for narcissistic type people and I endured way too much.  I also was crippled by my fear of being more honest with all people, narcissists or decent people.  Of risking trust.

I wish I were a more readily honest and courageous person.  I wish I took more risks.  When I am pushed to the wall, as this bully at work is doing now, I will rally and fight.  I have put up with so much crap already from her but she is really now taking off the gloves. 

Anyway, I am much wiser and sadder. I miss the highs of my grandiose attempts at doing important stuff in life from years past, when I thought I did have real loving support of my mother for my own sake, permission from her to be happy and successful. 

I still choose to do significant life-satisfying things, but I miss the spikes of feeling spikes of very high self esteem, but I assuredly don't miss the plunges into self-hate when my real life human-ness gets put to the test and I can't sustain that sense of toxic "perfectionism" that was demanded of me and I could never achieve. 

I am no longer confused by free floating anxiety and shame.  That doesn't make its immediate and initial pain less sharp when it gets triggered still.  But it gives me the opportunity to "process it" and slowly at first comfort myself and support myself.

Finally, I think I got burned when the crisis of separation and opportunity for real freedom came with the estrangement with my mother, by my loss of faith in my social network.  How vulnerable they were to the uBPD will of my mother and how ruthless she was in destroying my links with them to induce me to stay in my compliant role to her. 

Even in the workplace, dealing with this manager "enemy", my anxiety is intensified by past experiences with family and also here already in past with coworkers that I can't trust their support and their perceptions necessarily.  Character assassination comes easily to narcissists and uBPD personalities and vulnerable victims can get hurt.  Not only their feelings, but their economic circumstances potentially.

Not a full answer to a hard question for me.

Best,
Bethanny
Shenandoahgirl

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2020, 11:11:18 AM »

Bethany
Thank you for this post. In many ways you are describing my life, and my struggles. 
I really appreciate the way you explained global self esteem vs specific self esteem.   That’s a puzzle piece I need.
My mother has not shared her diagnosis, which she rejected 3x previously.  She has shared a bipolar diagnosis
I’ve suspected that she’s borderline for many years.  I’ve sought counsel for myself and questioned if I am also borderline because of some shared behavioral traits.  But I’ve worked through that with counselors.  Just had to force myself to learn better skills
As my mom is aging this is all becoming very difficult.  It’s sad. There were good moments. But I look forward to being done with the games, the meanness and all.
I just want to thank you for sharing this all.  It was a needed answer I didn’t know how to articulate
bethanny

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 11:25:37 AM »

Shenandoahgirl, 

Thanks so much for the validation.  It is so lovely to be back on this site and to appreciate the consciousness raising and support.

I too at times fear and wonder if I am in denial at my own borderline symptoms.  I am so shame-based still and conflict resolution is so hard.  I would prefer to run away than deal with the stress and pain of rejection or punishment for asserting my boundaries or even any negative feelings that were so over-reacted to by my uBPD mother growing up.

I think I have been struggling with complex PTSD most of my life. Survival guilt is a biggie for me.  Also, getting triggered into a child-like state of terror over moments of malice from others, like this manager I am currently contending with.  I am grateful for my enlightenment at this point.  I still need to coax my easily frightened inner child into moving through the fear feelings to get to the other side.

I think of the fight, flight or freeze reaction.  I guess I got adept at freezing most of my life to try to cope with the frightening intensity of my uBPD mother's ambushing wrath or my alcoholic father's rages.

Also at fleeing if that were possible. Too much avoidant behavior as an adult.  I wish I had exercised courage more and risked trusting more often.

I want to assert myself while sustaining my serenity.  I want to live with dignity and self-possession.  Sometimes I can pull it off, other times still very much I am a work in progress.

Best,
Bethanny
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest