Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 01, 2024, 09:27:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dealing with your own family members  (Read 495 times)
alleyesonme

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorcing

« on: October 21, 2020, 09:04:27 PM »

I'm currently going through a divorce from a BP. I have clearly and consistently communicated with my family for a long time now that my stbEX very likely has BPD. Several family members have read Stop Walking on Eggshells at my request, and most people in my family realize what I have gone through and are being supportive.

The other day, though, two of my close family members made comments that really bothered me. One was saying that the best advice she'd ever heard was that the best thing a father can do for his kids is to love his wife. She went on to say that, because our marriage has failed, I clearly didn't do a good enough job of this.

The other comment made was basically doubting my judgement, as this relative pointed out that in my vows at my wedding, I said that I wanted to be with my stbEX forever. And if my judgement was that bad then, anything I say or think moving forward needs to be questioned.

These are two obviously absurd comments that can easily be picked apart, and I realize that. But do you all have any tips for dealing with relatives like that? This is already a terrible experience to go through, and then comments like that just make it even worse.
CoherentMoose

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 09:51:08 PM »

Ouch.  Sounds like a judgement coming from someone who has no idea what life is/was like for you.  I like the quote from the Bible "He that is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone at her". In this particular case, perhaps you can disarm the situation by saying something like "I'm sorry I've not measured up to your expectations, but after much reflection and pain I am comfortable with the path I've chosen."  The other approach is to just let it slide off of you like water from a Duck's back.  Those comments say a lot more about them than it does about you.  Best of luck with your path.  CoMo
mart555

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2020, 10:27:26 PM »

Ignore.   Unless people have tried living (and divorcing!) someone with BPD (or NPD), they have NO CLUE what it's like and are not in a position to judge.  They might also say this because they are in a terrible marriage but are too afraid of leaving. 

Focus on yourself, it's what matters.

ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2020, 12:09:35 AM »

It sounds like they're unconsciously acting like marriage counselors.  A marriage counselor typically tries to get the spouses to restore their relationship.  However both spouses would have to work at it.  One pushing and the other pulling, especially over time, is a recipe for failure.  And... an experienced marriage counselor will recognize when a marriage is dysfunctional, unhealthy and not responding positively to counsel.

And mentioning the vows or promises is too simplistic, it doesn't account for subsequent serious problems.  I think it's called "irreconcilable".

The Bible does mention divorce, it doesn't advocate it but it accepts that reality since people since the days of Adam and Eve have all been imperfect.

MeandThee29

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2020, 05:02:05 PM »

I got all that from my ex's family. Not at all from my family, but my family is more informed and aware of mental health issues and how they wreck havoc on individuals.

I had to come to my own moment of clarity where I knew what I experienced and that the relationship had to end because very little effort had been made on the BPD issues (there was also some comorbidity, all documented by a clinical psychologist). I had to stand in my own truth and go forward. That's a lonely, hard place, but it had to be. I was completely at my wit's end and had to save myself. There are people that I am no longer in contact with because of that.

I truly believe that if I hadn't done that, I wouldn't be here. My health was failing, and mentally I wasn't in a good place. I got through the high conflict divorce in 2019 and am still in a periodically stormy closeout, but so much better now. Everything should be completely over in 2021.

Even his attorney told my legal team that he felt very sorry for me and couldn't imagine what I went through.
Peppery

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Partner

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2020, 05:22:23 PM »

I'm currently going through a divorce from a BP. I have clearly and consistently communicated with my family for a long time now that my stbEX very likely has BPD. Several family members have read Stop Walking on Eggshells at my request, and most people in my family realize what I have gone through and are being supportive.

The other day, though, two of my close family members made comments that really bothered me. One was saying that the best advice she'd ever heard was that the best thing a father can do for his kids is to love his wife. She went on to say that, because our marriage has failed, I clearly didn't do a good enough job of this.

Oh dear! Are you from the south? I am cringing with flashbacks of those who want to offer overly-simplistic suggestions and philosophies for very complex psychological illnesses that they know nothing about and are uninterested in learning about.

Do whatever it takes to protect yourself so you can parent in an effective way during this highly charged time.  I, personally, shut down conversations about mental illness unless I am positive the other person is educated about it or, at least, is not a judger. "Thank you so much for your judgments and advice but this is not something I'm willing to discuss". If they have the audacity to offer unsolicited advice and judgments - it is very acceptable to graciously let them know the subject is not open.

The other comment made was basically doubting my judgement, as this relative pointed out that in my vows at my wedding, I said that I wanted to be with my stbEX forever. And if my judgement was that bad then, anything I say or think moving forward needs to be questioned.

These are two obviously absurd comments that can easily be picked apart, and I realize that. But do you all have any tips for dealing with relatives like that? This is already a terrible experience to go through, and then comments like that just make it even worse.
Goosey

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 07:37:24 PM »

My mother in law has been supportive of my deciding to file  for divorce. Better for all.
alleyesonme

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2020, 07:57:08 PM »

Ouch.  Sounds like a judgement coming from someone who has no idea what life is/was like for you.  I like the quote from the Bible "He that is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone at her". In this particular case, perhaps you can disarm the situation by saying something like "I'm sorry I've not measured up to your expectations, but after much reflection and pain I am comfortable with the path I've chosen."  The other approach is to just let it slide off of you like water from a Duck's back.  Those comments say a lot more about them than it does about you.  Best of luck with your path.  CoMo

Thank you. I've been trying your approach, and it's helping for the most part. This is just such a hard process to begin with though, and having to withstand these verbal attacks from loved ones makes it that much worse.
alleyesonme

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2020, 07:59:51 PM »

Ignore.   Unless people have tried living (and divorcing!) someone with BPD (or NPD), they have NO CLUE what it's like and are not in a position to judge.  They might also say this because they are in a terrible marriage but are too afraid of leaving. 

Focus on yourself, it's what matters.

Exactly, and this is what I've tried to keep in mind. Where it gets complicated is that this is such a confusing process, and I need people to go to for advice/support. I've learned to get support from others, but still need advice from some of the people that are making these stupid remarks. Knowing them, if I set too hard of a boundary (ie I want your advice, but zero criticism for what you view as past mistakes that I've made), they'll just stop giving me any advice at all. That's what makes this tricky.
alleyesonme

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2020, 08:01:42 PM »

It sounds like they're unconsciously acting like marriage counselors.  A marriage counselor typically tries to get the spouses to restore their relationship.  However both spouses would have to work at it.  One pushing and the other pulling, especially over time, is a recipe for failure.  And... an experienced marriage counselor will recognize when a marriage is dysfunctional, unhealthy and not responding positively to counsel.

And mentioning the vows or promises is too simplistic, it doesn't account for subsequent serious problems.  I think it's called "irreconcilable".

The Bible does mention divorce, it doesn't advocate it but it accepts that reality since people since the days of Adam and Eve have all been imperfect.

You're definitely onto something here. Another issue is that none of these people have any idea what it's like to live with - and try to raise a child with - a spouse that has BPD. They're trying to give advice as if we were two "normal" people that have flaws but can "work it out" if they really try.
alleyesonme

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2020, 08:03:25 PM »

I got all that from my ex's family. Not at all from my family, but my family is more informed and aware of mental health issues and how they wreck havoc on individuals.

I had to come to my own moment of clarity where I knew what I experienced and that the relationship had to end because very little effort had been made on the BPD issues (there was also some comorbidity, all documented by a clinical psychologist). I had to stand in my own truth and go forward. That's a lonely, hard place, but it had to be. I was completely at my wit's end and had to save myself. There are people that I am no longer in contact with because of that.

I truly believe that if I hadn't done that, I wouldn't be here. My health was failing, and mentally I wasn't in a good place. I got through the high conflict divorce in 2019 and am still in a periodically stormy closeout, but so much better now. Everything should be completely over in 2021.

Even his attorney told my legal team that he felt very sorry for me and couldn't imagine what I went through.

You're such a strong person! I'm currently going through a really hard time, and re-reading your post really helped to inspire me to persevere. Thank you!
alleyesonme

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2020, 08:04:34 PM »

No, I'm from the Northeast. Unfortunately, it seems like this divorce has exposed some of my loved ones as ignorant and judgmental.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest