Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 06:23:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: First post  (Read 361 times)
Nancy101
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Married

« on: September 26, 2020, 11:58:45 AM »

Hi. My adult daughter is really struggling with her life right now and I feel grief and guilt. I have set some boundaries and my life has improved because of that. I can't find a way to offer support that isn't rejected. I'm not giving her money or shelter any more, but I still love her. I don't want her to be homeless.
Someone suggested I try joining Al-Anon (she's in AA) but I feel like the mental illness underlies the alcoholism, inability to hold a job, inability to get along with others.
I guess I'm looking for other people who actually understand what I'm going through and can maybe reassure me that I'm not a bad mother.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Huat

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Estranged

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 11:25:01 PM »

Hello Nancy101... Welcome new member (click to insert in post)...Welcome!

So sorry to read about the problems with your daughter.  In reading between the lines I am thinking you share quite a history with her.  Seems, too, that you have taken positive steps in setting boundaries Doing the right thing (click to insert in post) and life has improved for you because of that.   Boundaries are not only important for you but they are for your daughter, too.   

Has your daughter ever been diagnosed as having BPD or, like me with our daughter, do you suspect that being the case because of her BPD-like-behaviours?  Good to read that she is in AA...knows she has a problem and is making attempts at getting better.

You write about the feelings of grief and guilt.  The grieving we feel is for the death of the dreams we had for our future...the different kind of future we were going to share with these troubled loved ones of ours.  The guilt is because we feel we should have done better for our child.  I know that I did the best I could do...did better when I knew better...and I will continue to do so.  Same for you too, right?   What more can be asked of a person than to do his/her best?

You want assurances that you are not a bad mother.  That, Nancy101, is a label you put on yourself and consequently, you have to be the one to take it off.

That suggestion you got from someone to join Al-Anon...why not give it a try?  Nothing to lose, right?  Now that you are here...hope you feel drawn to continue on.  Here you get much needed support...and you reach out to give the same to others.  You wrote that you are looking for other people who actually understand what you are going through.  Well...here we are!

Huat
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest