Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 07:24:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Popular books with members
Surviving a
Borderline Parent

Emotional Blackmail
Fear, Obligation, and Guilt
When Parents Make
Children Their Partners
Healing the
Shame That Binds You

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Went better than it would have last year  (Read 370 times)
pursuingJoy
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Inlaw

« on: September 30, 2020, 02:10:49 PM »

H returned from a week-long beach trip with his manipulative BPD mother, and I didn't just survive, I thrived!  Way to go! (click to insert in post)

It helped a lot that he and I had a great week leading up to the trip. He left feeling filled up and happy and loved, so less likely to allow MIL to wedge between us. Also, I was intentional about focusing my energy on plans with my daughters while they were away.

The first day, he seemed ok, but every day after that, he became more and more tired-sounding. He said he was worn out from playing chauffeur. She complains a good deal and I imagine the negativity is draining. I'd listen and ask a question or two, then share how I and my daughters spent our day and what we were up to. (We had a great time.) My sharing seemed to take him off guard. He would get really quiet. In the past, we would both get caught up in MIL's universe. This time, attention was split between my world and theirs. What a relieving change!

When he returned, he shared that he even defended me at two points! To set the stage, MIL's cousin, who I've met once and enjoyed talking to, came after me on Facebook one day about a month ago. It was out of the blue (and out of character, from what I can tell) over a post I made about appreciating people that speak multiple languages. I and two friends responded with kindness and care. While they were at the beach, MIL asked H if I didn't like the cousin. (Huh? lollll) He was careful, maybe more than I wish he'd been, but he said no, it had nothing to do with not liking her, that we didn't agree politically. I'll take it.

I feel stronger than I have in a long time. What we're learning here, works!

My gut tells me that MIL initiated this as a means of wedging, or securing his allegiance, strengthening their bond. He didn't have a particularly great time, and I'm not sure she did either - she looked and sounded absolutely exhausted. He said she really didn't get out much. Who knows - maybe she feels loved enough by the attention that she'll chill for a while?

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? ~CS Lewis
Methuen

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 10:28:38 AM »

Excerpt
H returned from a week-long beach trip with his manipulative BPD mother, and I didn't just survive, I thrived!
PJ, I am celebrating with you! Way to go! (click to insert in post)
Excerpt
It helped a lot that he and I had a great week leading up to the trip. He left feeling filled up and happy and loved, so less likely to allow MIL to wedge between us. Also, I was intentional about focusing my energy on plans with my daughters while they were away.
You played this so well, by allowing him to discover the difference between a week with you, and a week  alone with mother.  You are one determined, smart cookie.
Excerpt
The first day, he seemed ok, but every day after that, he became more and more tired-sounding. He said he was worn out from playing chauffeur.
I remain hopeful that he will be able to connect the dots one day.  I wouldn’t be surprised if the two of them are “quiet “ for a spell after their trip.  But then I also wouldn’t be surprised if they fall back into their old habits again afterwards.  But it also sounds like he was perhaps a wee bit proud of defending you, and since he shared it with you, means he is slowly seeing the problem.  Progress worth celebrating!
pursuingJoy
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Inlaw

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 10:32:03 AM »

PJ, I am celebrating with you!

Means the world, M!

But it also sounds like he was perhaps a wee bit proud of defending you, and since he shared it with you, means he is slowly seeing the problem.  Progress worth celebrating!

I knowwww! I'm pretty happy. Smiling (click to insert in post) Smiling (click to insert in post) Smiling (click to insert in post)

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? ~CS Lewis
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest