Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 25, 2024, 04:33:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: She's spent the past month gaslighting & insulting me. Now she needs "help."  (Read 365 times)
RJ2018

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« on: November 27, 2020, 01:41:59 PM »

Hello...

(I apologize in advance for the length. I really started off intending to make this no longer than a paragraph or two. I even cut out a significant portion of backstory (I cut from here and pasted it into a notepad app, to pull back up in case anyone is interested)! And yet still... So please, bear with me...)

So, this is my first time posting in a few years. I was last here and posted a few times back in 2018. Here's the latest...

Such a lonnnnnnnng backstory, but very long story short, I've for some years now suspected that my mom suffers from BPD. As far as I know, and very likely, she isn't diagnosed.

After what seemed like months of seemingly unprecedented progress -- for both her and our relationship -- about a month and a half ago, she got into a verbal altercation with my brother which I'm almost certain was mostly her fault. He'd been staying with her for a while and was soon moving back to his own place (as in literally within a few days), and she knew this. Conveniently, the altercation happens and she makes him leave without getting many of his things. She made it seem like it was temporary (we're thinking a few hours..or a day at the most), long enough for them to both "cool off" and then he could come back to retrieve them. A month and a half later, she still hasn't let him get those things.. including his wallet with his ID, debit/credit cards, the only TV he owns, AND his bed (which she's been sleeping on since she basically stole it a few years ago after a very similar incident..with her bed having been in storage this whole time -- I know. Madness).

I was furious about this, especially as my brother has been going through his own issues this year and trying to get himself and his life back on track, and my mom has known this. She started off claiming to support him through this... but then she goes and does this, right when he's trying to go back out on his own and had been doing pretty well up until then.

Anyway, that caused a major rift between her and I, and I couldn't let it go or have things be normal between us until she made that right. She still hasn't made it right, but what's more... in her feeling like I should've "taken her side" or just "not let that affect her and my relationship," she's gone back to saying the most horrible, irrational, and cruel things. So it's now been about more than just her treatment of my brother... but again also her treatment of me.

JUST earlier this week, she randomly sent me a text calling me a "dumb ass" and cussing me out in all kinds of other ways after an altercation between her and another family member, where the other family member referenced her (my mom's) seeming mental illness and our troubled relationship over the years -- information she suggested came from me.. which is technically true, but it was only a few times, and the last time was earlier this year. But of course all my mom focused on was her already paranoia that everyone is always talking bad about her and is basically out to get her.). My mom pretty much said to not deal with any of her side of the family and instead worry more about having a relationship with my dad's side. And all of this littered with all caps and the most colorful language possible. She also posted several long rants on Facebook, essentially insulting and cussing out that entire side of the family (and even specifically tagging that one she'd just got into it with), referencing (for the 597268491947th time to anyone who will listen) all of the family members she's lost over the years, and accusing everyone of being fake and also stupid for believing everything they hear.

*Literally* the next day, she sent what appeared to be forwarded texts she sent to my brother asking for money ($200) to pay her internet bill..saying she needs it for her job, and she needs her job to keep where she lives. She of course now throws in his face the several months he'd stayed with her earlier this year and had adamantly INSISTED she didn't want or need anything from him during that period, even after multiple times he'd insisted (in addition to doing things like buying groceries for the house), instead wanting him to just focus on getting better mentally and not worrying about feeling pressured to get another job (which he'd loss earlier this year) or having to pay rent anytime soon before doing so. She knows he still isn't working and yet is like "I let you stay in my home for three months rent-free. And I now need that $200 you wanted to give me then." AND still hasn't even given him/let him get his things INCLUDING HIS WALLET WITH HIS ID AND BANK CARDS!

I guess he ignored the message and so she followed up with several berating and belittling him for ignoring and not being willing to help her. Then she sent some messages, I guess to each of us, basically threatening to end her life. Even threw in a few pictures of a gun and a bullet. And she told us to "live with it".

We've been through quite a few suicide threats from her over the years (a few times even getting the police involved), and after everything we've been through related to that and her in general...we just both ignored even those messages. And I blocked her, for the first time since early this year, again.

With all of this, including her "dumb ass" and other such messages to me, as well as Thanksgiving, my birthday, and Christmas coming up -- all which I had been GREATLY looking forward to finally being able to spend with her for the first time in many years after we'd been doing so well for a lot of this year.. and now knowing it'll instead be another lonely, depressing, frustrating holiday season without her..I kind of had my own major emotional breakdown that night. It was really bad -- so much that I called two of my closest, longtime friends on three-way, which I haven't done with them in over a decade. And they know I'm not usually much of a phone person in general. Thank God, they helped talk me off of the metaphorical (and truthfully in some ways, almost literal) cliff. The general gist from both of them is that it's time I stop worrying about my mom, brother, and anyone else. I need to really start prioritizing and focusing on me. Making me whole again. Determining some new norms for being happy and okay without my mom consistently in my life, and especially through the holidays. And also to try my best to be indifferent to my mom when she's like this, since I know I can't ever see cutting her off indefinitely. Everything they said I felt was true, and it certainly helped...BIG time.

So, back to my mom...

Needless to say, she's still alive. And today, a few days later, she's called me a few times from her house phone (which I forgot to block) and left multiple voice messages which I haven't listened to. I'm able to go into the settings of my phone to access blocked messages if/when I choose, so I went ahead and looked to see what exactly she's talking about -- esp in case she's maybe calmed down and is again talking more reasonably. Or, if not, as a reminder to keep her blocked and go a longer time without looking at the messages.

So I see that she's sent a few messages with a picture of one of her aunts who apparently just passed away last night. This was the last of my mom's living aunts, and she thought very highly of her, although they didn't speak or visit regularly. She lived in, and her funeral services will be in, another state. My mom is basically now expressing how devastated she is at the loss and how she would really like to be able to attend my great aunt's services, so she's essentially asking us to help her (financially) go.

Sigh.

A very small part of me wants to reach out and console her... and help her to be able to go. Most of me just wants to pretend I didn't learn that, just let her deal with and figure it all out on her own, and get back to focusing on me, as my friends advised.

Thoughts?

(And thank you so much for making it this far. ❤)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 01:50:23 PM by RJ2018 » Logged
pursuingJoy
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Inlaw

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 04:03:13 PM »

RJ2018, it's been a few days since you posted this? What did you decide about helping your mom get to the funeral?

I can completely understand your desire to maintain distance after all that's happened. Space after a bad encounter is a great way for me to find some equilibrium again.

My gosh holidays can be the worst, most lonely season, can't they? I'm so glad your friends advised you to focus on you for a while. How are you taking care of yourself?

pj

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? ~CS Lewis
PearlsBefore

What is your sexual orientation: Confidential
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 12:10:14 AM »

I haven't read your 2018 backstory, but is it fair to assume that your mother typically treats you like "the bad child" and your brother as "the good child", or have I interpreted her incorrectly on that front? Either way it seems obvious that her common-to-BPD fear of rejection was causing her to panic about your brother moving out so she wanted to convince herself she was "throwing him out" on some manufactured pretense. 

Since BPDs often have higher than usual amounts of intra-family stressors though, I'd say you should consider her advice about dealing a little less with the relatives on Side A this year. If you're really close to one or two, not a concern, but boast to your mother that you haven't spoken to a few of the minor relatives on that side at all "since she asked you to stop" (not that it matters, you probably hadn't spoken to that cousin in years anyways, right?)

Regarding your desire to help your mother and brother, one of them, or neither...I'd say it sounds like "helping/enabling your mother" would likely have a negative effect on your brother's quality of life where she lashes out at him, whereas "helping/enabling your brother" isn't likely to result in him lashing out at her...so personally I'd choose brother in that circumstance. But you know them best.

Cast not your pearls before swine, lest they trample them, and turn and rend you. --- I live in libraries; if you find an academic article online that you can't access but might help you - send me a Private Message.
wmm

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 10:14:00 AM »

I just so happened to watch this video right before reading your post. Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4P2Qwh1QCU

Many family members take on different roles in the family. Would you see yourself as a "fixer"? I used to be it before I went through years of therapy. Now my sister is.

I think what your friends said about looking after yourself first is best. If your brother is trying to stay out of the drama too I don't see why you can't stay in touch with your brother. It is important to look after yourself first. It's sad that your mother is having to deal with this loss in her family but it's not your responsibility to take care of her, especially after everything you have done for her. I don't think that helping her will make things better for you. It'll give her a sense of power that she's able to get you to do what she wants with a certain amount of manipulation. My mother has threatened suicide many times in her life before as well and the police have been involved. My decision now is to call the police if she threatens to do it but not to contact her myself or do anything beyond that. Let the police deal with it. That being said, my mom did genuinely try to kill herself once and I saved her life. If it's always empty threats then maybe just do what you did and ignore it. I personally let the police deal with it because then it helps me to not worry about it anymore. I find blocking my mom to be very helpful. If she's still being dramatic or if you're finding it hard to resist contacting her, I would suggest keeping both of her numbers blocked for now. You need to take care of yourself first for your own sanity.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest