Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 18, 2024, 06:25:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We had our "final" talk today  (Read 1566 times)
cash05458

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: living together/possibly breaking up

« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2021, 10:17:40 AM »

Brighter...thank you for writing that out...it's all interesting...my god ,the things we try to understand for them...I don't expect much understanding via myself...or I don't demand it...but we are always there, the ones trying to deal with their problems...

Yes, her Cousin was about 15 years older...and had adored her father...they had been best friends...and he took over that role over her life...always there for her...even as an adult...this triggered something very very deep when he died in her...I know I am right about this course and how it unfolded...and yeah, his name was Richard...and the new man's name is Richard...

Freud, who I have studied for going on 34 years now...calls this a "primary defense"...we all have defenses but they all break off that primary one like branches on a tree...but the primary one...in her case...the original and total abandonment that defines who she is and became...his dying I think triggered that primary one...and when that is triggered it is a total abandonment of reality...then it swoops into pure fantasy (the man in england...the savoir)...and my destruction here as well...
brighter future

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Broken up

« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2021, 12:59:50 PM »

We studied Freud in one of my Sociology classes in college, but that was 25 years ago. I can recall that some of his theories were interesting, however, I've forgotten them over the years. Maybe I'll read up on those again some evening after my child goes to bed. That would probably be better than surfing social media for a change or watching You Tube videos.  Smiling (click to insert in post)

I believe you mentioned that your ex was abused as a child. Did she ever say who the perpetrator was and the age that it occurred? Did she ever receive any type of treatment for it?  My ex-g/f was abused by her father's brother from the ages of 6-8. This same uncle abused two of her other siblings, and her parents never got the kids professional help for this abuse. That's where they really failed them. My ex-wife was abused by her mother's brother. She never reported any of this abuse to anyone until after our child was born. While we took her accusations seriously, the age ranges that this abuse occurred in changed at least 3-4 times over course of a few years. First, she stated that the abuse occurred when she was 15-17 years old, then it was 15-21 years, and I think her last accounting of the abuse was age 4 - 21. So none of us knew what to believe. Her stories about several things varied over the years in addition to the abuse allegations.

In regards to triggers, there were periods of time when my ex-g/f would just shut down on me, wouldn't want to talk and wanted to be alone. She appeared to be there physically, but mentally she was checked out almost like she was dissociating.   Different things would trigger her when this would happen. When I would ask what was bothering her, she would just say "the abuse when I was a kid and other things from my past. It has nothing to do with you." She leveled with me a few times and said in the past when things like that would come back start haunting her, she'd use alcohol and sex for comfort which allowed her a temporary escape. However, she said "When I was drunk it made me temporarily forget about things. But, the decisions I made when I was drunk were awful." One evening she told me, "Every time I've been intimate with you, it's because I love you and wanted to show you how much I love you. I want to keep it that way because I've used sex as a means for comfort in every relationship I've been in. I don't want our relationship to be like that." She said these types of things on days she was grounded in reality. On the days she wasn't grounded in reality, she was very impulsive, destructive, and irrational. I think our pending engagement also triggered her. She had a fiance before her ex-husband that left her abruptly and devastated her. Based on the stories she told me, it sounded like abruptly broke the engagement because parts of her mental illness were coming out. She kept telling me over and over that she didn't want a repeat of what happened with him and that she hadn't been this in love with anyone since him. I think this is part of why she did what she did with me about 5 weeks later. I also believe her ex-husband's engagement also played a role in our split. That made her spiral out of control even more, then she started blaming him because he deprived her of more children during there marriage. This whole time period was very bizarre and emotionally difficult.

Thanks for allowing me to share my experiences with you. Hope you don't mind.  Like you said, "the things we try to understand for them." It sure is mentally exhausting.
cash05458

« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2021, 06:23:39 PM »

Brighter...god, these heavy things we take on...I am an atheist but I surely know why the Christ on the cross fable exists...and it is very real...

Abuse...well mine certainly had many forms of sexual abuse in the orphanage...and in foster homes...from both other children and parental figures...she told me stories about living in the worst project in boston...cops rolling thru and having her and other girls give them oral sex for booze in the back of squad cars...this was when she was 13 or so...intense and HEAVY stuff...lines being crossed everywhere via authority...via the protectors...

She told me all that and many stories...but there was one...she said weeks before she left..."I have a story about sexual abuse I will never ever tell you...I was guilty of helping...promoting...dont ever ask...it is the most horrible thing..."

and I didn't push of course...but all that happened via words in the run up to the explosion...
cash05458

« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2021, 02:42:57 PM »

Oh Brighter, I see that I forgot to answer a specific question you asked...apologies...No, she never received any sort of treatment via all the childhood sexual abuse...

Was thinking back to a month ago when I arrived here...I think that I didn't want to accept that she is BPD...not at first...that was part of my denial as well...and now it seems so blatantly obvious to me now...and I certainly couldn't see while inside the relationship...think I was just constantly overwhelmed via the infamous rollercoaster stuff...

via Freud...oh yes , there are some great texts if you want to look again... Totem and Taboo is a terrific one...Civilization and its Discontents etc...I think my favorite has to be his last book, Moses and Monotheism...I have a beautiful hardcover set of the 24 volume Collected Works here on a shelf in my kitchen...I reread him often...
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2021, 12:06:37 AM »

Staff only

This thread has reached its post limit and has been locked. The discussion has continued here: https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=348023.0

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest