Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 18, 2024, 08:54:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Needing advice  (Read 358 times)
Betterlife2021

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Living together 21 years

« on: March 22, 2021, 12:29:11 AM »

This is my first post. My other half was diagnosed with bipolar and bpd two years ago.We have been living together for 21 years.He is seeing a therapist somethings  have improved. Before starting therapy were at the bottom. I felt if I gave him anymore of my heart or soul I would have nothing left. We were in stuck in a extremely dysfunctional cycle for many years.We raised a child in this cycle she has also been seeing a therapist. She is now almost 24 and I finally feel like she will be okay. He has about 4 bipolar cycles per year. The bpd is at its worst when his low happens. To make it short I’ll just say I become the enemy in the blink of a eye. He has to be the king of silent treatment. Before therapy as soon as I said anything to him he was leaving me but within a week he had changed he mind.  He has never left. This happened about 4 times a year for about 12 years. In the last two years it has been less. He did it last year around this same time. This has happened again  a couple days ago. Yesterday he already started to backtrack on if he should leave. By attempting to convince me that I was the one that needed to change.  I really don’t know what to do at this point. I have asked him about a trial separation. Don’t have any idea if this is a good idea or not.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

khibomsis

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Grieving

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 03:34:19 AM »

:hi:Betterlife, and welcome to the family! I am so sorry for what you are going through!  We are here and will support you through this. You are in a good position, your partner has been diagnosed and is in therapy. Those are usually good preconditions for things to get better.
My first relationship of 16 years, my partner regularly broke up every six months, triggering all my abandonment issues. If I had known then what I know now, I would have dealt with it much better. Try to see it as an electrical storm that passes through their brain, they will say anything and it doesn't have to make much sense.
Are you in therapy? For one you will need support since the process of healing is a time of great change. And for two, yes you will have to change too. Not necessarily according to  your pw BPD suggestions, but it does help the relationship if you can become stronger and wiser about how to handle the electrical storms. Here's a good place to start : https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=42176.0

Betterlife2021

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Living together 21 years

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 04:08:42 PM »

I was seeing his therapist for about a year. She has helped me a lot with boundaries cause I had none and tools to deal with his behaviors. I have not seen her in about  a year. I did contact her this morning and have a appointment in a couple weeks. I’m just not sure how to deal with everything till then. He’s mad if I try to talk to him. He’s mad if I don’t talk to him.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest