Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 03:07:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mom makes me so confused  (Read 774 times)
LittleB

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: recently estranged

« on: June 22, 2021, 09:15:41 AM »

My mother has not spoken to me in 3 weeks. My stepdad told me she said that she will never call me and that she is hurt I have not called her. She is upset because I put up a phone boundary even though she was fine with at first. I was going to her house once a week to help her clean and we would talk then. The emotional roller coaster of guilt, shame, sadness and the  fear of the phone ringing and it is her but also the calm and finally quiet but then the pain in my stomach that is constantly there,  it's all so confusing. How can I go no contact when she is 80 years old and her husband has cancer? How can I leave her now when she needs me most? Why didn't I make a stand 30 years ago when I should have? I kind of feel like she is making the choice for me, if she can not or will not call me , why should I call her? I have struggled the last year with trying to face this but sometimes I wish I had just get my head buried in the sand.
pursuingJoy
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Inlaw

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 11:59:37 AM »

LittleB, I'm so sorry you're going through this. I hear the exhaustion and effort you're putting into this. When it doesn't feel like your hard work is paying off, it just compounds the exhaustion, doesn't it?

pwBPD don't respond well to boundaries. Boundaries make things worse at first. pwBPD get more upset than they were before. They throw curve balls and make things more complicated than they need to be. They struggle and fight and cry. Boundary setting is no fun, at all. 

Meanwhile, it's really common to doubt yourself, question what you're doing, and to feel guilty and genuinely sad. These are all hallmark feelings that we can relate to!

Your phone boundary is a reasonable one. Her negative response doesn't negate that. You will see improvement over time after consistent enforcement. How can you stay consistent? Do you plan to, or do you genuinely feel that no contact is a better choice for you right now?

I also want to validate that it's ok to set boundaries even though she's 80 years old. Many people here are doing it with aging parents.

Big hug. This will eventually be ok. 

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? ~CS Lewis
LittleB

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 10:14:01 AM »

Thank you so much for the reply! I don't know why but it made me cry. I have a loving family who supports me on this which is very helpful, they tell me not to call her. I don't want no contact, I just want the phone calls of yelling, getting mad at me for no reason and  hanging up one me to stop. I don't know if I should just break down and call her or wait for her to call me. I am afraid she will think that she can behave badly but I will always return if I call her. How do I even begin to call her, my brother and sister in law say not to call her and that she is very mad at me. My Aunt told me that she is not mad just very hurt, whatever! Should I write her a letter instead? Do I just wait for her to make the first move, I am afraid she won't but then afraid she will but if I make the first move at least  I'm ready for it. all so confusing but feels good to at least write some of my feelings down, thanks again for the earlier reply!
pursuingJoy
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Inlaw

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 01:17:50 PM »

I've been hung in this limbo before - who's going to make the next move? Spend your energy on managing your emotions. The more calm you are, the more clarity you'll have about how to proceed. Acknowledge the stress and tension you feel, but remind yourself that the panicked urgency is a feeling, it's not reality. You'll know in your gut if you should reach out because you'll feel some peace about it. Ask yourself what you want.

Breathe through this and stretch your boundary 'muscles.'  Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

Your aunt and in-laws are both accurate, I'd guess - she's extremely hurt and isn't managing her emotional response to that hurt. We are all responsible for managing our own emotions, and BPD means she isn't equipped with the tools to do that. It is still her responsibility, it's not something you should do for her.

In the spirit of brainstorming, if you're stilling willing to do some cleaning for her, would it work to organize your next response around her needs, or something you handle for her? If it's time for you to go over and help her, perhaps you could reach out and connect with her over that. If she gets upset, that means she isn't ready for contact and you know to take another step back.

You're stronger than you know. I hear it. You're going to get through this.

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? ~CS Lewis
LittleB

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2021, 09:59:37 PM »

Thanks again, lots to think about!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest