Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 29, 2024, 03:34:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How would a child understand?
Shame, a Powerful, Painful and Potentially Dangerous Emotion
Was Part of Your Childhood Deprived by Emotional Incest?
Have Your Parents Put You at Risk for Psychopathology
Resentment: Maybe She Was Doing the...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Greetings from new member  (Read 411 times)
Secondsister
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Married

« on: September 07, 2021, 10:23:30 AM »

Hello,
I am here to help navigate my relationship with my mother who seems to have many BPD traits. Recently I tried to have an honest conversation with my mother regarding the secret paternity of my sister and I pushed her too hard trying to get validation for the impact her secret had on my sisters and me. I approached the conversation as being with the mother I want to have rather than the mother that likely suffers from BPD. I triggered her and she said some hurtful things. I am here to process and accept the mother I have rather than the mother I want, and grieve the loss of the mother that could give me what I need emotionally. I also want to continue my relationship with her as lovingly as possible. I am trying to walk the line between being supportive and loving to her while at the same to maintaining my identity and boundaries and not just reacting to her pain and feelings of rejection. I am going to read through some topics. Thank you for being here. I do not need responses, I just wanted to introduce myself with a basic summary of who I am and why I am here.
Woolspinner2000
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 06:16:11 AM »

Welcome SecondSisterWelcome new member (click to insert in post)

We're family here so you're now wrapped in belonging to us.  Virtual hug (click to insert in post)

I commend you on coming to the place of this:

Excerpt
I am here to process and accept the mother I have rather than the mother I want, and grieve the loss of the mother that could give me what I need emotionally. 

Tough stuff accompanied by lots of emotions. We're on the journey with you. My mom was an uBPD, and oh, how well I understand. Have you seen the Survivor's Guide? It's the 3rd post on the list of topics on this board, Survivor to Thriver program.

Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Virtual hug (click to insert in post)
Wools

There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.  -C.S. Lewis
Secondsister
Fewer than 3 Posts

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 02:59:26 PM »

Thank you!
pursuingJoy
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Inlaw

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 09:28:00 AM »

Recently I tried to have an honest conversation with my mother regarding the secret paternity of my sister and I pushed her too hard trying to get validation for the impact her secret had on my sisters and me.

My BPD MIL had an awful mother (either BPD and/or NPD) who refused to divulge the identity of MIL's father, even on her deathbed. It's been a pain point for MIL.

With her permission, I purchased an Ancestry DNA kit and submitted MIL's DNA for testing. They have the most extensive genealogical databases. So far, we've found cousins on her dad's side. Just wanted to share in case you're interested in doing the same for your sister. It gets tricky, you wouldn't want your mom to know, but IMHO your sister is an adult and has the right to know.

Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? ~CS Lewis
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest