Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 28, 2024, 02:09:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Depression = 72% of members
Take the test, read about the implications, and check out the remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I am not allowed to have feelings  (Read 786 times)
outhere

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: April 28, 2023, 09:27:34 AM »

It's like my uBPDw has a monopoly on emotions so any time I feel upset by something, I can't express it or else she'll have a total meltdown.  Therapy helps, venting helps, thanks for reading!
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2023, 12:25:25 PM »

So she has a total meltdown. How do you respond?

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
outhere

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2023, 12:31:45 PM »

Hi Cat.  I tell her that I have feelings too.  When she melts down now I tell her that I'm not going to be yelled at and leave the room.  The dynamic of our relationship has changed for the better.
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2023, 12:39:44 PM »

Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)  You can’t control how she behaves, only how you react to her behavior. If she doesn’t get the response she hopes to get, whether positive (complying with her wishes, catering to her emotions, doing what she wants, etc.) or negative (angry outburst, argument, defensiveness, etc.), then over time, her behavioral response will slowly extinguish. (Warning: you have to be consistent and it may take a  Cursing - won't cause site restrictions at Starbucks (click to insert in post) of a long time to observe changes for the better.)

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2023, 01:12:13 PM »

Our thread on Extinction Bursts discusses what Cat Familiar brings up:

Excerpt
Extinction Burst - The term extinction burst describes the phenomena of behavior temporarily getting worse, not better, when the reinforcement stops.

Spontaneous Recovery - Behavior affected by extinction is apt to recur in the future when the trigger is presented again. This is known as spontaneous recovery or the transient increase in behavior. Be aware of this eventuality. It is a part of the extinction process. Don't be discouraged.

This is OK, as long as we anticipate it, understand it, and are prepared for it.  The same is true for spontaneous recovery.

Glad you are able to notice a positive shift in your relationship dynamics.
outhere

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2023, 03:22:55 PM »

Like a crystal ball.  We had a decent conversation this morning where it seemed like she was understanding my boundaries and adjusting accordingly, then moments ago I said "no" in response to her asking me to do something and she totally lost it.  Thanks for the pre-explanations!
waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2023, 10:10:48 PM »

Like a crystal ball.  We had a decent conversation this morning where it seemed like she was understanding my boundaries and adjusting accordingly, then moments ago I said "no" in response to her asking me to do something and she totally lost it.  Thanks for the pre-explanations!

My wife treats denials of her needs as tantamount to personal abuse. No matter how much these can be talked through out of the heat of the moment, her immediate reaction in a situation is always that of victim. If you look closely at any of her claims of being bullied and abused by people, of which there is an endless list, most often these are instances of someone objecting too strongly to her hounding and bullying. She is weaponizing victimhood. It can even convince the person protesting (sometimes me) that they were actually in the wrong for being annoyed

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest