Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 29, 2024, 05:53:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I left him two years ago but can't let go and feel horrible about it  (Read 310 times)
an-cat-dubh

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: April 22, 2023, 05:52:06 AM »

sorry about overly long post...

I left my ex who had undiagnosed BPD after a four year relationship. The first couple of years of our relationship were really tough as he was going through difficulties in his life and his symptoms were high. I put my life on hold to be there for him 24/7. My work suffered. I had no boundaries, was his emotional dumping ground. He was angry at everyone and a victim of everything. Didn't have any life direction. I was his savior. All the distress and negativity took a toll on me. I had a nagging feeling that something was wrong and a lot of anxiety but was so in love I ignored this. He was a brilliant artist, a free spirit, brought so much adventure and creativity into my life - everything I had been craving. I have never experienced anything else like it. We were so in love.

We moved to the country, he got a lot better. He told me he'd never felt this stable in his life. We were happy. But one day a visiting friend of mine triggered him and he was rude to her, and I realised he had not changed, only the environment. The only way for him to be stable was if he was not around people. We had talked about therapy before but nothing ever came of it. I had taken too much upon myself over the years and didn't speak up enough because of my fear of conflict. I had talked to him about my distress at some point and he had made some changes but his underlying problems stood unaddressed. When I realised there were still there I got scared of the future.
I got angry at him for being triggered by my friend and he freaked out and didn't recognise me as I generally refrained from any criticism and just listened when he ranted about people, even when I disagreed. It was my fault for bottling things up for so long. He got really hurt.

I started therapy myself. I started trying to assert my needs but I did it by telling him what I needed him to do (go to therapy) instead of changing the way I acted. After extra therapy I know this was not the right way to act. At times my anger took over. This triggered a cycle of conflict with him feeling attacked/abandonned and too focused on his own hurt to hear me, me being distant because I felt unheard. After 6 months of this and him moving unexpectedly away to another city (fleeing conflict), trying to work it out long distance, I broke up with him because he still would not start therapy. He said if he went to therapy it would be to heal from the hurt I was putting him through. I realised I could not control someone else, only me, so I left although I was still madly in love.

It's been over two years and neither of us have got over it. He has lost all trust in himself and what little self confidence he had gained. In his mind my wanting him to get help=he's a horrible worthless human being (black & white thinking.) He can't bear it. Says I've broken him. He's in deep depression and unable to function. He sees getting back together as the only way he can move forward with his life. At the same time I think he hates me because of what I've put him through. Says he won't be able to trust anyone or himself ever again and he's scared he's a monster and will get rejected again, because the way I did a 180 on him when he thought everything was going great and he was nice to me.

I reached out to him several times after the breakup to plead with him to get help so I could give him another chance, but only if he did so. I know I should have left him alone as this is his decision to make or not make and I prevented him from moving on because I held on to my fantasy and couldn't control my own impulses.

I can't move on with my life because I feel directly responsible for him, and extremely guilty after realising I was just as dysfonctional as him, and probably more abusive and extremely controlling. I cyclically go back to the idea that getting back together is the only way to fix things, that if I had done things differently it would have worked out, because there were times when I was vulnerable instead of controling he apologised and recognised I was hurt too, and that made him want to get better. I hold on to the hope that if we got back together now that we've had talks about this, he would get help.
He has told me he will go to therapy if we get back together, but doesn't do it on his own. I think he's too depressed to be able to do anything on his own.

I feel so ashamed about the way I acted. I feel I've ruined his life and I'm scared he will hurt himself as he acts recklessly sometimes, dissociates, drinks and drive when he's too distressed. He has told me he wanted to off himself. I wish I could ask a friend of his to look after him but he has no one close.

For two years the cycle in my head has been going like this: I can't be with someone who's so dysfunctional, I've made the right decision -> yes but he was the love of my life and if I had done things differently, I would still be together, and he would be healing, now he's in danger because of me -> I should get back together with him -> back to the beginning.

If you have any suggestions as to how I can break this cycle, they would be welcome. I am stuck. I think it's mostly due to extreme guilt, feeling of being responsible for him, and what ifs - hope that maybe we could work things out. So much hurt between us now though that I'm not sure he can ever forgive me, and his problems are still there and would still take a toll on me in a day to day together.
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2023, 09:53:03 AM »

He was angry at everyone and a victim of everything. Didn't have any life direction. I was his savior... But one day a visiting friend of mine triggered him and he was rude to her, and I realised he had not changed, only the environment. The only way for him to be stable was if he was not around people... It was my fault for bottling things up for so long.

It's tough.  He's very dysfunctional around people.  And you are exposed to it more than others because BPD is a disorder that impacts most the people closest to the person.  Likely that friend, after she left, was not nearly so impacted as you were because she was only an incidental encounter on the periphery of your close relationship.

I started therapy myself... I broke up with him because he still would not start therapy. He said if he went to therapy it would be to heal from the hurt I was putting him through. I realised I could not control someone else, only me, so I left although I was still madly in love.

BPD has often in the past been called a Blamer's Disorder.  His blame shifting from himself onto you puts you into a blamed or obligated position where his solution is that you have to fix him.  You can't.

It's been over two years and neither of us have got over it. He has lost all trust in himself and what little self confidence he had gained... Says I've broken him... He sees getting back together as the only way he can move forward with his life...

In my younger years I worked at reception desk in large building in a large city.  I would train new workers and give them perspective to realize they couldn't help every person who walked in the door.  People would enter and try morph their problems into our problems.

I recall when we were undergoing a  renovation.  People would enter seeking a restroom but there was none.  I would point them to restaurants down the street but they'd respond they'd have to buy something there.  See?  Their problem but I was blamed for it.  Once someone asked where I used a restroom.  I answered I had to go through a locked door and construction area into the basement.  Even for something as simple as that I was guilted.  One of my coworkers felt so pressured — his job was to be helpful, after all — that he let someone in. The cleaning staff complained our workers' restroom was trashed.

Life isn't simple.  And too often there's nothing we can do to fix things.  It is what it is.  Your ex is an adult, yes to some extent dysfunctional but he is still an adult.  If he needs support, there are agencies who can provide support.  But he doesn't "want to go down the street" for meaningful therapy, he wants you to fix his internal problems and the reality is you can't do it for him.

I can't move on with my life because I feel directly responsible for him, and extremely guilty after realising I was just as dysfunctional as him, and probably more abusive and extremely controlling... He has told me he will go to therapy if we get back together, but doesn't do it on his own. I think he's too depressed to be able to do anything on his own... I feel I've ruined his life and I'm scared he will hurt himself as he acts recklessly sometimes, dissociates, drinks and drive when he's too distressed. He has told me he wanted to off himself.

I sometimes make this observation... If you had to categorize his actions versus your reactions, how would it look?  Wouldn't it be somewhat along the lines of his 'sins' of commission versus your 'sins' of omission?  Maybe there's a better way to describe it but all you're tying to do is help but have reached your limits.  We understand.  Listen to yourself.  Hey, forgive yourself that feeling of obligation.  You did try, more than most.  Sadly it was a virtually impossible task, remember the myth of Sisyphus who each day had to roll a boulder up a mountain and each night it rolled right back down?

Here's a member's post which I copied to The Bridge thread.  (If you haven't read The Bridge, then please read it here too.

The Bridge
The Backyard Black Hole

an-cat-dubh

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2023, 04:32:32 PM »

Thank you ForeverDad.
I feel I know these things intellectually but my love+guilt+attachment issues and lack of trust in my own judgement get in the way. So it helps a lot to get external validation. Those metaphors were useful too. He does feel like a black hole. One that at times seemed to dwindle and get smaller, but that was still there and unpredictable. I think with time he might have taken care of it. I do think he was slowly healing while we were together. But superficially, probably. Might be me projecting.

It's tough.  He's very dysfunctional around people.  And you are exposed to it more than others because BPD is a disorder that impacts most the people closest to the person.  Likely that friend, after she left, was not nearly so impacted as you were because she was only an incidental encounter on the periphery of your close relationship.

this is true. She said she knew that's how he was. She didn't like him that much but didn't care. So, you mean it impacts the people closest to the person because they spend more time living through the disregulated phases? Because they let their guard down with their closest ones? Or something else?

I sometimes make this observation... If you had to categorize his actions versus your reactions, how would it look?  Wouldn't it be somewhat along the lines of his 'sins' of commission versus your 'sins' of omission?  Maybe there's a better way to describe it but all you're tying to do is help but have reached your limits.
I feel I was quite active too. I repeatedly shoved his head into the bucket of trauma he could not bear to look at and now I've made his situation way worse. He was not ready to look. But I thought I could force him to because I thought I knew what was good for him better than he knew himself, even after I had left him, which is abuse in my mind. I just wanted him to be something other than who he was because that was the only way I could allow myself to stay with him. I've definitely learned my lesson that trying to force people to change only sets them back further.

So far my intellect is what has guided me, I would never have ended it without therapy, but my emotions don't follow. I can't trust my emotions and it's very confusing. Well, I can trust some of them as I have felt anxiety the few times I seriously felt I was going to get back together with him.

I suppose I need to go through a new period of grief, as holding on to hope has kept me away from the despair that being truly apart from him brings. I know even if I find someone who's good for me and stable in the future I will never feel connected to someone the way I was to him, and it's partly trauma bonding but there were also so many true and beautiful things between us, we were on the same weird page about so many things. The misplaced guilt I can work on but losing him is the truly hard part. But I can't save him.

I went to a CoDa meeting today. I think I might attend these for a while to help grieving.

thank you again for your helpful post, it makes me feel less inadequate and alone.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest