Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
June 15, 2024, 05:04:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breakup with partner with BPD - need support  (Read 303 times)
Banana91

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Broken up

« on: November 25, 2023, 12:13:54 PM »

Hello everyone,

This is my first post.

I entered into a relationship with my ex-partner who has BPD about 15 months ago. It went through the typical stages which I have become familiar with reading more online, the honeymoon phase, the heated arguments, rebonding, and cycling that over and over. My personality is that of a care-taker, so I tend to look after other people's needs before my own. That has sort of encapsulated our relationship. Any of her issues, we talked about and I supported her, but when it came to me it could never be provided. She also knows she has BPD, but has never done any work towards it. This was apparent whenever we would try and discuss an issue and it always exploded for her. I always tried to maintain a calm tone and offered times to revisit the conversation, but she would persist and many times she would threaten me saying the relationship is over or turn to name-calling or nitpicking at other things (and expressing huge guilt after its done). Last Monday, I decided to end the relationship because of a final event (my epiphany) which I could explain if people want to hear. The end of this relationship has made me feel like I do not exist to her. I read about it, the disassociation, splitting, etc. but I was not prepared for how it would make me feel. I still love her and breaking up while still in love is the hardest thing I have ever had to do.

I spoke to a therapist yesterday and have friends through the process, but am still seeking support and I would love to share more with others who have similar experiences. Thank you everyone.
alterK
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: separated

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2023, 02:57:18 PM »

Hi Banana, welcome to the board. You will find others here who have gone through experiences similar to yours. It ain't easy.

One thing many of us have discovered is that it's easy to fall in love with a pwBPD (person with BPD). Sex on the first date and then the excitement continues. People with BPD tend to see others as all good or all bad, and when you are in the all good phase you get admiration and affirmation that are wonderful. But eventually the relationship begins to fail, comes apart, and you are then the devil incarnate. You look back and start kicking yourself in the rear end for not having seen the handwriting on the wall. In my case it took the better part of two decades. Maybe people like you are luckier--or smarter--than I was.

My W moved out without notice and filed for divorce a year and a half ago. I think it was easier for me than it might have been, because the relationship had been deteriorating for 2-3 years. I had been struggling to save the marriage, but she was depressed and made it clear she no longer loved me. After I got over the initial shock, which took a couple of months, I actually felt relieved.

The misery is real, but so is the hope for recovery. A thing you have to accept is that a relationship with a person like this is doomed to fail. It is very much the exception for the relationship to continue, or at least continue happily. I hope you have a decent therapist. Feel free to share thoughts, experiences here, anything else.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest