Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 27, 2024, 04:54:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: aftermath  (Read 167 times)
rayndance

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married

« on: December 11, 2023, 10:12:39 AM »

Can I get some feedback for my man going through the post-outburst self-loathing? It is rough to know how bad he is hurting inside, from the original hurt, and from the response. Hugs, reassurance, forgiveness, are shrugged away. And before the outburst, I have a hard time finding the underlying feelings to validate, when I am the target - some real hurts, and some unintentional, and some that did not occur. I am trying to separate my ego and just listen, but it seems to ramp up if I do not respond and ramp up if I do.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2023, 11:12:17 AM »

Hi rayndance;

it seems to ramp up if I do not respond and ramp up if I do.

Is that his self-loathing that ramps up? or the initial outburst/escalation?

before the outburst, I have a hard time finding the underlying feelings to validate, when I am the target - some real hurts, and some unintentional, and some that did not occur. I am trying to separate my ego and just listen

I'm curious if you (figuratively) "watched videos" of a bunch of his pre-outburst through outburst episodes, if you could pinpoint the moment where he "goes beyond reaching". Kind of like -- as long as the airplane is just taxiing on the runway, it can turn around, but once it revs the engines and accelerates down the runway, there's no stopping it.

My sense is that as long as your pwBPD is "taxiing around the runway", he may be reachable with some structured communication (SET, no JADE-ing, BIFF, validating the feelings). But once he "revs the engines and accelerates", it's not like the communication tools and skills are magic wands to bring him back.

Maybe if you can pinpoint those moments where beforehand he's reachable and afterwards he's not, you can find your moment to disengage and realize that he needs to have his emotional storm and then self-soothe -- your involvement once he's past that point may be too much emotionally and relationally for him. Sometimes it can be more loving to step away and let him have the outburst and then process the self-loathing on his own, even though it may be uncomfortable for you to know he is coping with those feelings.

It might also be interesting to journal and track his process, maybe even draw a graph (could look like a bell curve) and pinpoint on the graph "here is where he can still regulate with me around, here is the inflection point past which my involvement isn't helping and is making things worse, here is the downslope where he's self-loathing, here's the point in the self-loathing where it's too soon for me to get involved, here's the point where he's mostly done with self-loathing where it is helpful for me to rejoin him".

Any thoughts on those ideas?
rayndance

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2023, 08:39:19 AM »

That last paragraph about the bell curve is really helpful. It helps me know that it is a normal flow, because there is a point where my existing makes it worse, and he wants me to "fix it," and at some point, he will come back to me. I worry that there is something in between the two points that I should be doing, even though I don't think so.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest