Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
April 24, 2024, 09:01:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stepdad gave me a present  (Read 65 times)
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« on: April 23, 2024, 10:19:53 AM »

Last update here: https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=357905.0

I've worked a little bit in therapy on differentiating between real crises/real red flags, and me artificially elevating a generally normal occurrence to feel like a real crisis. The best description I can come up with is that a real crisis is something that actually shows up on my "BPD radar" -- it's a real signal -- whereas when I artificially raise the intensity level of a normal situation up to a crisis situation, that's me layering my "filter" over it. I talk a bit about that idea here if that helps.

Anyway, the idea is that sometimes, based on real experiences and Mom and Stepdad's historical choices and actions, I do have a pretty good sense of what "normal looking" things are actually weird and might point to a conflict coming up. However, because I've been operating so far above emotional baseline for so long, I do have a knee-jerk reflex to put a "BPD filter" on normal events, "just in case", so that I can be prepared if it turns into A Thing.

It is not good for my nervous system to operate at a 10/10 vigilance 24/7, so my T has suggested that I work on differentiating between real signals and ones that I put my filter over.

I got an opportunity to practice that on Sunday.

Brief background; we are not a "Hallmark holidays together for the kids" two-family setup. Occasionally (back when the kids had a counselor working with them and all the four adults) we adults might give each other a birthday gift, a Christmas gift or card, or (only once) Mom texted me to wish me Happy Mothers Day. This stuff was generally always from one pair of adults (i.e., me plus H, or Mom plus Stepdad), not from one individual adult to one other, and on "socially recognized occasions". But I could probably count on one hand how often this happened. There is not like a strong regular record of "every year kells76 & H give Mom a birthday card, and every year Mom and Stepdad give H a Christmas present".

Stepdad was picking up the kids from our place, and pretty much the first thing he did when we opened the door was to tell me that he had something for me. He gave me some stickers he got from his workplace that were sort of related to my occupation, saying he'd already given SD18 a ton of them (both kids really like stickers for their water bottles). I don't remember exactly what I said, but it was pretty polite and noncommittal, like, "wow, thanks, cool".  What H told me later is that he'd happened to be looking at SD18 when Stepdad gave me the stickers, and she rolled her eyes.

I am working on understanding if my radar (accurate perception of PD weirdness) or filter (elevating a "generally normal" occurrence to A Thing) is at work here; or, maybe it's both.

On the "radar" side, Stepdad has a history of actively pursuing unavailable women going back nearly 20 years -- that's not debatable. There has never been gift-giving between the adults beyond socially acceptable occasions, and those were infrequent. And now that he has been with his girlfriend "officially" and publicly for a while, part of me wonders if he wants to pursue someone again.

On the "filter" side, it's stickers, not flowers or wine or jewelry or something big or expensive. He may have given me those for some odd reason having very little to do with me. I don't feel unsafe or outmatched -- I didn't just fall off the turnip truck, as my mom would say -- and me spending time and energy thinking about this interaction is probably much more than it merits.

If I were to put together where I am now, maybe it's 25% "radar" (yeah, it is actually weird, and there's some history giving it context beyond a "normal boring event") and 75% "filter" (spending more mental energy "figuring it out" and "forecasting what it means" than it deserves)?

I am also sorting out if it would help SD18 if I mentioned it to her. I'm wondering if it might be beneficial for her to know that yeah, I see this stuff going on, and she doesn't have to worry about if I'm OK or if I get the dynamics or if I'm taken in by it. Maybe dropping the comment out there: "That was kind of odd when Stepdad gave me the stickers" and see if she does anything with that.

I'm trying to walk the tightrope of not badmouthing Mom or Stepdad, yet at the same time, I don't want to invalidate by essentially responding to her, whenever she bring up something she struggles with about them, "Well, I'm not going to talk about that with you".

She has been receptive to problem-solving approaches where if there is an issue at Mom's house, I provide a solution for her to do, without talking about whose job it should have been to solve it (i.e., there was/is a really bad flea problem, so I bought SD18 a bottle of flea spray and told her that she and SD16 needed to read the instructions and make sure their cat and little brother followed them), but I don't really go into "so what's Mom doing where she's too busy to do that for you?" In those, the focus isn't on "who should have done what, who is bad and who is good", but bypasses that to "here is the issue, I can help you with a solution". This doesn't feel like a "problem solving" conversation.

Anyway -- working on radar vs filter, and wondering if this is a situation where telling SD18 "that was a weird interaction, I definitely have thoughts about it" would be validating her experience or pushing mine on her.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2024, 10:22:36 AM by kells76 » Logged
Notwendy

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2024, 10:56:09 AM »

Being that it's stickers, and he's got strange boundaries- I'd just let it go. It may be that he was cleaning his office and thought maybe you'd want them.

I think you are correct that he's the one to be wary of, not the stickers. As long as it's stickers, I'd not be too concerned. If it continued or the type of gift was not appropriate, that would be off bounds.  Not sure what to make of this other than, he's got odd boundaries anyway.
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2024, 01:03:28 PM »

Thanks Notwendy, that's helpful to get another set of eyes on things.

I can frame it to myself as -- yes, it's odd, and if nothing else happens, then it was just a weird thing that happened. If something else does happen, I will be prepared for it at that future time; I don't need to do or plan for anything else right now.
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2024, 03:20:18 PM »

With SD18 rolling her eyes, during a relaxed - informal - moment you could say you noticed and ask if there was anything substantial you ought to know.

Yeah, I'm an in between kind of guy, sort of stick your toes in to test the water but not jump in.

ThanksForPlaying

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2024, 04:30:09 PM »

On my first reading, without knowing the background you provided, I assumed the eyeroll meant "he's giving these stickers to everyone this week - it's sooo annoying."  You may have more experience on the subtleties of what that exact eyeroll means though.  It's not a purchased gift that he shopped for - more like just giving away advertising.  However, with the background, something to keep an eye on.
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2024, 07:24:19 PM »

From past stories about him, he seems like a guy who works in the shadows and likes to keep drama triangles going. My thought is that he may get something out of tweaking SD18's mom at the moment, and this was a way to mess with her. So not exactly pursuing you, more like publicly being nice to you in order to antagonize mom.

Maybe the new GF situation has caused mom to really bottom out. If she is no longer really giving his new relationship the kind of third-person drama he's seeking, perhaps he's looking for a new way to get something going, even if it's just theater, and you represent a way to rile her up?

I don't think gifts mean nothing when there are PDs involved. When the kids spent Christmas with us, the only year we had all of them, BPD mom and her affair partner (now husband) sent us gifts. H is really health conscious, something BPD mom knows, yet she sent a ton of holiday-themed junk food to me and H.

It felt pretty obvious. She wanted everyone to believe she's generous, she wanted to stick it to H, and she wanted all of us to be thinking about her. This was the year she was secretly co-habitating with her affair partner, which would've nullified spousal support, so it felt doubly twisted. BPD mom's affair partner was living rent free at her condo that H was paying for, and they're sending us gifts?

For your situation, I would probably not say anything to SD18 unless she brought it up. Especially if she is at all enmeshed with mom and likely to share that conversation.

Breathe.
Notwendy

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2024, 06:42:52 AM »

My thought is that he may get something out of tweaking SD18's mom at the moment, and this was a way to mess with her.

I don't think gifts mean nothing when there are PDs involved.

Very good points. My BPD mother sometimes doesn't give gifts that correlate with the relationship. She will give the same impersonal gift to family or someone she doesn't know well or something more expensive to someone not related to her.

Trying to figure out what her reasons are may not be possible. But I agree- there might be a reason but we don't know what that is.

I think that is what raised your question. If it had been a male co-worker- who said "hey someone sent these stickers to me and I don't need them- would you like them? I don't think you'd be wondering. It's that it's someone who you know has different "ideas" about marriage that makes you wonder.

Still, it's just stickers... stickers don't cross a boundary- but maybe that is the intent- to test the waters? I don't think it's possible to know at this time. Maybe it's just stickers, maybe not. You have your own boundaries- and so if someone offered you a gift you didn't feel comfortable accepting, you won't- no matter who that person is.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest