Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
March 28, 2024, 10:41:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Poll
Question: What is your Myers-Briggs personality type. See link for test below. ( ) = percentage in the US population.
ISTJ (11.6%)
ISFJ (13.8%)
INFJ (1.5%)
INTJ (2.1%)
ISTP (5.4%)
ISFP (8.8%)
INFP (4.3%)
INTP (3.3%)
ESTP (4.3%)
ESFP (8.5%)
ENFP (8.1%)
ENTP (3.2%)
ESTJ (8.7%)
ESFJ (12.3%)
ENFJ (2.4%)
ENTJ (1.8%)
---> See first page of thread for data table!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 ... 14  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Self reflection. Take a look. Take the test. What are your results?  (Read 25351 times)
Skip
Site Director

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2008, 10:59:55 AM »

Here is a quick "cheat sheet" on the  profiles!   

ISTJ

Quiet, serious, earn success by thoroughness and dependability. Practical, matter-of-fact, realistic, and responsible. Decide logically what should be done and work toward it steadily, regardless of distractions. Take pleasure in making everything orderly and organized – their work, their home, their life. Value traditions and loyalty.

ISFJ

Quiet, friendly, responsible, and conscientious. Committed and steady in meeting their obligations. Thorough, painstaking, and accurate. Loyal, considerate, notice and remember specifics about people who are important to them, concerned with how others feel. Strive to create an orderly and harmonious environment at work and at home.

INFJ

Seek meaning and connection in ideas, relationships, and material possessions. Want to understand what motivates people and are insightful about others. Conscientious and committed to their firm values. Develop a clear vision about how best to serve the common good. Organized and decisive in implementing their vision.

INTJ

Have original minds and great drive for implementing their ideas and achieving their goals. Quickly see patterns in external events and develop long-range explanatory perspectives. When committed, organize a job and carry it through. Skeptical and independent, have high standards of competence and performance – for themselves and others.

ISTP

Tolerant and flexible, quiet observers until a problem appears, then act quickly to find workable solutions. Analyze what makes things work and readily get through large amounts of data to isolate the core of practical problems. Interested in cause and effect, organize facts using logical principles, value efficiency.

ISFP

Quiet, friendly, sensitive, and kind. Enjoy the present moment, what’s going on around them. Like to have their own space and to work within their own time frame. Loyal and committed to their values and to people who are important to them. Dislike disagreements and conflicts, do not force their opinions or values on others.

INFP

Idealistic, loyal to their values and to people who are important to them. Want an external life that is congruent with their values. Curious, quick to see possibilities, can be catalysts for implementing ideas. Seek to understand people and to help them fulfill their potential. Adaptable, flexible, and accepting unless a value is threatened.

INTP

Seek to develop logical explanations for everything that interests them. Theoretical and abstract, interested more in ideas than in social interaction. Quiet, contained, flexible, and adaptable. Have unusual ability to focus in depth to solve problems in their area of interest. Skeptical, sometimes critical, always analytical.

ESTP

Flexible and tolerant, they take a pragmatic approach focused on immediate results. Theories and conceptual explanations bore them – they want to act energetically to solve the problem. Focus on the here-and-now, spontaneous, enjoy each moment that they can be active with others. Enjoy material comforts and style. Learn best through doing.

ESFP

Outgoing, friendly, and accepting. Exuberant lovers of life, people, and material comforts. Enjoy working with others to make things happen. Bring common sense and a realistic approach to their work, and make work fun. Flexible and spontaneous, adapt readily to new people and environments. Learn best by trying a new skill with other people.

ENFP

Warmly enthusiastic and imaginative. See life as full of possibilities. Make connections between events and information very quickly, and confidently proceed based on the patterns they see. Want a lot of affirmation from others, and readily give appreciation and support. Spontaneous and flexible, often rely on their ability to improvise and their verbal fluency.

ENTP

Quick, ingenious, stimulating, alert, and outspoken. Resourceful in solving new and challenging problems. Adept at generating conceptual possibilities and then analyzing them strategically. Good at reading other people. Bored by routine, will seldom do the same thing the same way, apt to turn to one new interest after another.

ESTJ

Practical, realistic, matter-of-fact. Decisive, quickly move to implement decisions. Organize projects and people to get things done, focus on getting results in the most efficient way possible. Take care of routine details. Have a clear set of logical standards, systematically follow them and want others to also. Forceful in implementing their plans.

ESFJ

Warmhearted, conscientious, and cooperative. Want harmony in their environment, work with determination to establish it. Like to work with others to complete tasks accurately and on time. Loyal, follow through even in small matters. Notice what others need in their day-by-day lives and try to provide it. Want to be appreciated for who they are and for what they contribute.

ENFJ

Warm, empathetic, responsive, and responsible. Highly attuned to the emotions, needs, and motivations of others. Find potential in everyone, want to help others fulfill their potential. May act as catalysts for individual and group growth. Loyal, responsive to praise and criticism. Sociable, facilitate others in a group, and provide inspiring leadership.

ENTJ

Frank, decisive, assume leadership readily. Quickly see illogical and inefficient procedures and policies, develop and implement comprehensive systems to solve organizational problems. Enjoy long-term planning and goal setting. Usually well informed, well read, enjoy expanding their knowledge and passing it on to others. Forceful in presenting their ideas.

Excerpted from Introduction to Type® by Isabel Briggs Myers published by CPP. Inc.

Information Pages in the Thread

Here is the link to the test       

Trait Definitions (Introversion, Extroversions, Sensing, Thinking, etc.) <click here>

Profiles Descriptions (ENTJ, ESTP, etc) <click here>

Compatibility Profiles <click here>

Incompatibility Profiles <click here>

Data Summary <click here>

Moving On

Relationship status: Divorced, 19.9 years married, boys stay home, ex and I alternate weeks with them.

« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2008, 02:47:55 PM »

INTP

Seek to develop logical explanations for everything that interests them. Theoretical and abstract, interested more in ideas than in social interaction. Quiet, contained, flexible, and adaptable. Have unusual ability to focus in depth to solve problems in their area of interest. Skeptical, sometimes critical, always analytical.

I also did some reading on this page for INTP... .

www.mypersonality.info/personality-types/intp/

Excerpt
INTPs live in the world of theoretical possibilities. They see everything in terms of how it could be improved, or what it could be turned into. They live primarily inside their own minds, having the ability to analyze difficult problems, identify patterns, and come up with logical explanations. They seek clarity in everything, and are therefore driven to build knowledge. They are the "absent-minded professors", who highly value intelligence and the ability to apply logic to theories to find solutions. They typically are so strongly driven to turn problems into logical explanations, that they live much of their lives within their own heads, and may not place as much importance or value on the external world. Their natural drive to turn theories into concrete understanding may turn into a feeling of personal responsibility to solve theoretical problems, and help society move towards a higher understanding.

That explains, in a nutshell, why my marriage lasted 19 years  :D
Bair

« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2008, 03:22:55 PM »

INTP here.  P is slightly more dominant.   
OMG ThatIsSoMe

« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2008, 08:52:14 PM »

I come up almost 50-50 INFP and INFJ.
thenextstep

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2008, 11:07:21 AM »

INFP here Smiling (click to insert in post)

GaGrl
Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2008, 11:22:57 AM »

Hi, guys --

I'm Myers-Briggs certified and use it extensively in executive and career counseling.

One aspect of the assessment that we must emphasize in debriefing results is that there are two elements NOT measured by the MBTI -- maturity and mental health.

"...what's past is prologue; what to come,
In yours and my discharge."
onlyscarsremain

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: Single

« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2008, 12:34:26 PM »

Another INTP description link  www.typelogic.com/intp.html (there's also links to all the other types at the top of this page)

Found this quite interesting though:

Excerpt
A major concern for INTPs is the haunting sense of impending failure. They spend considerable time second-guessing themselves. The open-endedness (from Perceiving) conjoined with the need for competence (NT) is expressed in a sense that one's conclusion may well be met by an equally plausible alternative solution, and that, after all, one may very well have overlooked some critical bit of data. An INTP arguing a point may very well be trying to convince himself as much as his opposition. In this way INTPs are markedly different from INTJs, who are much more confident in their competence and willing to act on their convictions.

Maybe that's why I can't seem to give up the idea that I've missed something that would have allowed me to 'fix' it all and make everything ok again. It could also explain why I've had such a difficult time discerning what was FOG and what was real. I spent enormous amounts of time determining whether or not something was a plausible way to view a situation when she'd do something that didn't seem to make sense. Finally I just got overwhelmed with how many of those situations would come up and ended up spending the majority of my thought process trying to find an answer to it all. 

oceanheart
BPD Educator

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other

« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2008, 12:39:46 PM »

I've taken it bunches of times, and it varies - I'm both an I and an E at different times (I like solitude, but I'm also gregarious), I more than E.

100% P all the time

and usually split near 50/50 on the TF, tho feeling usually predominates

So, probably the most at INFP (and I'm not just saying that to fit in with the rest of y'all Smiling (click to insert in post))
merlin96

« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2008, 12:45:07 PM »

Please enter your score in the survey at the top of this thread!

O.k.  I just took it and I scored as a INFJ.  Now I know (and so do you!)
flamingo13
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2008, 12:46:20 PM »

Hi, guys --

I'm Myers-Briggs certified and use it extensively in executive and career counseling.

One aspect of the assessment that we must emphasize in debriefing results is that there are two elements NOT measured by the MBTI -- maturity and mental health.

Good point to note. Thank you for posting it as an important aspect when one ponders types.

'maturity and mental health'

Ain't that the truth. A non-mentally healthy (read mentally ill; read me) INTJ is not a pretty sight. The very strengths in one's personality can become their enemy.

Case in point, me. Once very mentally healthy; I now work with a T to move from 'all logic' to re-integration of emotional thinking back into logical thinking. It appears that most emotional thinking has been supressed to such a point that the brain has and continues to operate almost completely on logic.
Victorious

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2008, 04:02:04 PM »

INTP  - with an average 66/33 split across the board.

Reading the description I wonder if this is who I truly am at the core, or if this is what I've grown to be as coping mechanisms and nurture (or lack thereof)
loki8447

« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2008, 06:25:43 PM »

I now work with a T to move from 'all logic' to re-integration of emotional thinking back into logical thinking. It appears that most emotional thinking has been supressed to such a point that the brain has and continues to operate almost completely on logic.

My husband calls me Spock when I slip into this mode a bit too far.  I understand about the foo being worse than the single BPD you marry.  My exhusband was a lightweight when compared to my family.  Like yours, my family has a high intelligence.  Nuts and smart--not a happy thought.  If you don't mind keeping us posted with the not-too-personal details, I'd be interested to see how counseling is helping.  I've gone but am not currently going.  It takes me so long to warm up to someone that I'm not sure it made a huge dent in the overintellectualizing.  I did like the lady... .
PDQuick
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Happily living with myself

Don't look outside for the answers within.

« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2008, 08:34:20 PM »

ENFP- 1  25  38  56  here. Now what exactly does that mean?

Interposed

« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2008, 11:06:27 PM »

That's weird. I'm very strongly INFP on all four. Maybe we're just more likely to cruise self help message boards?
LavaMeetsSea

« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2008, 01:40:58 AM »

PDQ - I'm not great at linking, but there's already a link for ENTJ's or something that, if followed, will provide more information on ENFP's.  Really it's just taking people's habits and patterning those out to explain certain shared tendencies or characteristics; having said that, as an ENFP married to another ENFP with an ENFP best friend and an INFP therapist, I'm rather fond of most of the people I've met with those patterns, for what it's worth.  

www.personalitypage.com/html/ENFP_rel.html

According to the test, you're an extroverted, intuitive, feeling, probing sort of guy.  I'd agree with that.  You're an idealist in the sense that you strive for or embrace an "ideal" way of living or interacting with people, and I'd agree with that too.  You're a champion in the sense that you're expressive, willing to get involved in matters affecting others, and empathetic enough to give voice to their issues and be their advocate.  Still agreeing, based on what I've seen of you in your posts.  Also you tend to feel confined by too much structure and don't enjoy being a judge - you're much more interested in exploring and learning, in creativity and being present for an experience.  And... .well, again, based on what I know of you... .sounds pretty accurate.  And fairly cool.  As for what it MEANS means... .yes, ENFP's tend to be really philosophical as well, Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)... .anyway... .
loki8447

« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2008, 10:47:43 PM »

This links to an interesting little article about what being an introvert really means:

www.briankim.net/blog/2007/10/top-5-things-every-extrovert-should-know-about-introverts
flamingo13
« Reply #76 on: February 29, 2008, 12:40:04 AM »

Excellent link.

Yep, I am most certainly an eccentric introvert. I would not have attended my undergraduate graduation or even my white coat ceremony had the children not insisted. I rarely attend weddings, funerals, etc. It is not from social fear as I used to do presentations and public speaking (political activist) with little difficulty; rather I loath the time spent (I have to keep from 'clock watching' at purely social events) unless I find some interesting conversation to either listen or engage. Otherwise, I find a quiet corner and take a nap.  8)

Apart from the "small talk" part of the article, I found it to be pretty much dead on... .of course, any generalization will have its exceptions. However, true to the article, "small talk" eventually leads to deeper conversation otherwise I disengage.

Once again, excellent link.
gingie

Relationship status: No longer engaged and trying to remain NC though he hoovers daily

« Reply #77 on: February 29, 2008, 01:19:16 AM »

INFP
futurebright

Relationship status: married 19 years

« Reply #78 on: February 29, 2008, 01:18:17 PM »

INFP also!

FB
leo2000

« Reply #79 on: February 29, 2008, 02:18:54 PM »

INTP as well, and arguing on both sides as well (playing devils advocate, you know).

Though not a psyhologist, I've analysed my WifeBPD to such an extent, that when I've became aware of BPD diagnosis after some 10 years - it hit home.

I have to mention, that "rationalization" (trying to make sense of everything) is also a defense mechanism - somewhat better then BPD's defenses. But hey - their defenses work best for them, so they are at least as good as ours!

Skip
Site Director

« Reply #80 on: February 29, 2008, 10:16:46 PM »

Compatibility Profiles

There are 16 different Myers-Briggs types so there are 136 different type combinations that are compared in the book "Just Your Type" by Paul D. Tieger and Barbara Barron-Tieger (ISBN # 0-316-84569-8).  They also have a website which is:  PersonalityType.com.   The book talks about the joys and frustrations of every type combination.  It also offers advice on how to "reach" your partner.

Here is some topline information on incompatibility based on four preferred ways of social interacting dynamics.

Same Model One of the most reasonable explanation for good compatibility is the similarity of the people involved.

• ENTP most compatible with: ENTP

• ENTJ most compatible with: ENTJ

• ENFP most compatible with: ENFP

• etc.

Opposite Types Compatibility (Kersey)  To add more salt and pepper to the whole relationship thing, some experts have decided to go for the ‘opposites attract’ explanation, which is mainly based on exactly that: attraction.

-------------------------------------------

ENTP most compatible with: ISFJ

ENTJ most compatible with: ISFP

ENFP most compatible with: ISTJ

ENFJ most compatible with: ISTP

ESTP most compatible with: INFJ

ESTJ most compatible with: INFP

ESFP most compatible with: INTJ

ESFJ most compatible with: INTP
-------------------------------------------

INTP most compatible with: ESFJ

INTJ most compatible with: ESFP

INFP most compatible with: ESTJ

INFJ most compatible with: ESTP

ISTP most compatible with: ENFJ

ISTJ most compatible with: ENFP

ISFP most compatible with: ENTJ

ISFJ most compatible with: ENTP

Main Cognitive Function Compatibility Model  One view on Jungian compatibility suggests that types with inverse main cognitive functions are best suited for each other.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

ENTP (main function Ne) most compatible with: INTJ, INFJ

ENTJ (main function Te) most compatible with: INTP, ISTP

ENFP (main function Ne) most compatible with: INFJ, INTJ

ENFJ (main function Fe) most compatible with: INFP, ISFP

ESTP (main function Se) most compatible with: ISTJ, ISFJ

ESTJ (main function Te) most compatible with: ISTP, INTP

ESFP (main function Se) most compatible with: ISFJ, ISTJ

ESFJ (main function Fe) most compatible with: ISFP, INFP
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

INTP (main function Ti) most compatible with: ENTJ, ESTJ

INTJ (main function Ni) most compatible with: ENTP, ENFP

INFP (main function Fi) most compatible with: ENFJ, ESFJ

INFJ (main function Ni) most compatible with: ENFP, ENTP

ISTP (main function Ti) most compatible with: ESTJ, ENTJ

ISTJ (main function Si) most compatible with: ESTP, ESFP

ISFP (main function Fi) most compatible with: ESFJ, ENFJ

ISFJ (main function Si) most compatible with: ESFP, ESTP

Secondary Function Compatibility Model  Lenore Thomson’s ideas from her book “Personality Type: An Owner’s Manual” - without a properly working secondary function, we are trapped, either in our inner subjective worlds (introverted types) or in our outer, objective environment (extroverted types). We need to develop both of these perspectives in order to have a healthy psychological life, and that’s exactly what our second function can help us do.

This compatibility system is focused on how well the 2nd function of each partner’s type is balanced by the relationship.

ENTJ ( 2nd function Ni) most compatible with: INTJ, INFJ, ISTJ

/ least compatible with : ESTP, ESFP, ENFP

ENTP (2nd function Ti) most compatible with: INTP, ISTP, INFP

/ least compatible with : ESFJ, ENFJ, ESTJ

ENFJ (2nd function Ni) most compatible with: INFJ, INTJ, ISFJ

/ least compatible with : ESTP, ESFP, ENTP

ENFP (2nd function Fi) most compatible with: INFP, ISFP, INTP

/ least compatible with : ESTJ, ENTJ,ESFJ

ESTJ (2nd function Si) most compatible with: ISTJ, ISFJ, INTJ

/ least compatible with : ENTP, ENFP, ESFP

ESTP (2nd function Ti) most compatible with: ISTP, INTP, ISFP

/ least compatible with : ESFJ, ENFJ, ENTJ

ESFJ (2nd function Si) most compatible with: ISTJ, ISFJ, INFJ

/ least compatible with : ENTP, ENFP, ESTP

ESFP (2nd function Fi) most compatible with: ISFP, INFP, ISTP

/ least compatible with : ESTJ, ENTJ, ENFJ

INTJ (2nd function Te) most compatible with: ENTJ, ESTJ, ENFJ

/ least compatible with : ISFP, INFP, ISTP

INTP (2nd function Ne) most compatible with: ENTP, ENFP, ESTP

/ least compatible with : ISTJ, ISFJ, INFJ

INFJ (2nd function Fe) most compatible with: ENFJ, ESFJ, ENTJ

/ least compatible with : INTP, ISTP, ISFP

INFP (2nd function Ne) most compatible with: ENFP, ENTP, ESFP

/ least compatible with : ISTJ, ISFJ, INTJ

ISTJ (2nd function Te) most compatible with: ENTJ, ESTJ, ESFJ

/ least compatible with : INFP, ISFP, INTP

ISTP (2nd function Se) most compatible with: ESTP, ESFP, ENTP

/ least compatible with : INTJ, INFJ, ISFJ

ISFJ (2nd function Fe) most compatible with: ENFJ, ESFJ, ESTJ

/ least compatible with : INTP, ISTP, INFP

ISFP (2nd function Se) most compatible with: ESTP, ESFP, ENFP

/ least compatible with : INTJ, INFJ, ISTJ

[/color]

Information Pages in the Thread

Trait Definitions (Introversion, Extroversions, Sensing, Thinking, etc.) <click here>

Profiles Descriptions (ENTJ, ESTP, etc) <click here>

Compatibility Profiles <click here>

Incompatibility Profiles <click here>

Data Summary <click here>

rileydog

« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2008, 12:56:18 AM »

I'm _NFP. Right on the bubble between I & E. FWIW.

Interesting thread.
Moving On

Relationship status: Divorced, 19.9 years married, boys stay home, ex and I alternate weeks with them.

« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2008, 09:51:33 AM »

Great post, Skip.  This thread has evolved a bit over time.  Spousal compatibility based on the results is a good topic. The "opposites attract" thing may be true - they attract, but... . can they get along?   Smiling (click to insert in post)

Of course, this thread will get locked before we can get very far... .we are past four pages. 
Emmy

« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2008, 12:12:22 PM »

I'm an ENFJ as of my last result, may have taken some previously that came out differently but can't remember the results. As for the "E" part, uBPDex liked to say, accusatorily, that I "had an active social life" (I do make a lot of friends but always have a core group of the same people as close friends and am certainly not a "party girl" by any means). I think he just had problems with the fact that I enjoyed and appreciated a lot of people, he said it made him feel like he wasn't special (despite... .well, many, many things I won't go into Smiling (click to insert in post) )

Someone down the thread mentioned E's compared to I's in terms of "gullibility". I'm not sure what I think about that yet but I do remember when I met uBPDex's "ex-gf "(a non) in person and we had been hanging out only for like 3 hours, she looked at me and said "You will get out of this a lot faster than I did or ever will. You're too smart." I don't think "smart" has anything to do with it, but I've always thought she meant "smart" in terms of "less gullible". Hmmm... .?
AKnightInTheMaking

Relationship status: Divorced from uBPDex in 2006, Remarried 11/2008 and loving my life.

« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2008, 08:44:19 AM »

ENFP here... .

I can so relate to the intuitive abilities of reading people.  Actually so much of me runs on intuition.  I notice it the most at those times in my life where it was required (by choice) in order to stay alive but even even in calm relaxed moments.  For example, I grew up on motorcycles and snowmobiles all my life.  I actually love the feeling of letting my conscious thinking go and reach out with my intuition and 'feel' what it is that I need to do.  It's hard to describe I guess.  But when you are doing 150 mph on a CBR929 racing down the highway going 80mph faster than the fastest car driving you don't really have time to reason out what you are going to do.  Picking the right line through the cars or through the woods... .and blessed with guardian angels that can fly 160mph I guess.

It seems like I just know where cars are or where they are going.  Where the tree is and what angle I have to tip the bike at to do what I need.  My brother is even more amazing with machinery.  He can ride wheelies, while shifting gears and passing cars.  Can take a 4x4 at through the woods on a two-track like I have never seen.  Just so happens he is a crane operator too.  Just runs in the family.

My mother is also extremely intuitive.  She actually has had several premonitions of events where loved ones where in extreme danger at the exact time it took place.  Kinda freaky.

Actually, its that global information identifcation/sorting/structuring and a decent IQ (132) that have allowed me to be so successful in management... .even though I went to school for engineering (stupid high school counselor suggestion... .I hate math but I love science and creative arts).  Oh!  You like science?  Well go for engineering they make good money.  Really?  Ok!

But the BP completely flew under my radar.  And I think that is the Idealist getting in the way.  I was so naive.  She was just able to tap into a core hurt of mine and exploit it very well.  Bleh... .codependency crap.

-Knight

tryintogetby

Relationship status: Married to a wonderful man who loves me the way I am. (gasp!)

« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2008, 10:22:43 AM »

Another bpdfamily.com member just PM'd me the most interesting phrase: "BPD is not intuitive." 

Hmmm... .when I do a myers-briggs personality test, I come up as strongly intuitive vs. sensing, which means that I "pay more attention to the patterns and possibilities that (I) see in the information (I) receive" as oppossed to "information that (I) receive through my five senses." 

Hmmm... .if BPD is not intuitive... .if I have to rely more on what facts I see through my senses (she's out of control, she's raging, she's manipulating AGAIN, and she's not going to change, etc) than patterns and possibilites (she only rages when I do things wrong, she says she'll change when THIS happens, etc) then I have a theory:  I may stay in the relationship longer, or justify the things she does to me, or even identify with her and take her side!

Here's a list of intuitive vs sensing traits.  Tell me what you think.

www.myersbriggs.org/my-mbti-personality-type/mbti-basics/sensing-or-intuition.asp

Lots of Love,

TTGB
nevermore

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2008, 10:36:12 AM »

I am intuitive.
Coral

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2008, 05:40:25 PM »

Meyer-Briggs is an outstanding instrument that I use extensively in business.  However, as with any test of its type, (non-therapeutic instruments), the results are not particularly valuable for people with mental illness or mental disorders.  The MMPI is a much better instrument for such individuals.  The MB is a non-judgmental instrument, meaning it applies no right/wrong, good/bad, appropriate/inappropriate judgments in its findings.  What happens is that the mental disorder, such as BPD, narcissism, anti-social, etc.,  overrides the MB results.  The MB language, which was based on the research of Carl Jung, is also very misleading.  As an example, the fourth quadrant, P/J, which stands for Perceptive or Judgment, actually has nothing to do with how those words are commonly used.  My BPD would score off the chart in P - which actually has to do with time, deadlines, non-linear thinking and not perception as we use the word "perception".  If you just looked at her P score, and didn't understand the instrument, you'd erroneously think that my BPD sister was the most "perceptive" person in the world.  In fact, she has less perception than a turnip. 

We all know that the BPD's in our lives are extremely judgmental; it's part of the disorder.  However, "judgment" in the MB refers to time usage, linear thinking, progressive -step-by-step - approach.  A high J (in the MB) is always on time, stairsteps to solutions, and sees time as linear. 

The N in the MB refers to conceptual thinking and the S refers to concrete analysis.  --- frankly, both of those concepts are horribly distorted in BPD. 

justwannagetalong

« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2009, 02:55:46 PM »

I took the myers briggs personality test and wondered if there would be similarities among us people with a similar family background.

We're all sorta searching to understand ourselves and I found this test and reading about my results pretty interesting! I've done it a few times in the past with a different result when I was younger and my perceptions of myself were probably more shaped by what I heard from my FOO

I'm thinking of getting someone who knows me intimately to also fill it out for me to see if the result would be the same.

I'm INFJ

-A
elphaba
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Divorced (thankfully) and NC with EX - single and probably staying that way for a while

No good deed goes unpunished....

« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2009, 03:06:44 PM »

INFJ here as well... .supposedly only 1-2% of population is INFJ

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 ... 14  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Links and Information
CLINICAL INFORMATION
The Big Picture
5 Dimensions of Personality
BPD? How can I know?
Get Someone into Therapy