Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 16, 2024, 05:39:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Supporting a Child in Therapy for Borderline Personality Disorder
Anosognosia and Getting a "Borderline" into Therapy
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1:00 a.m. crisis-I think validation was helpful  (Read 942 times)
PeaceMom

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: September 30, 2019, 12:23:40 PM »

Hope this encourages someone. Yesterday DD19 uBPD came in from being God Knows Where at 7:00 am. She did some college schoolwork, got dressed (looking darling) and left to go meet the friend du jour for lunch. At 8:00 pm I texted to remind her that she has been out all night and sleep was important to be in the right mindset for a big college test today. She said “oh really, I didn’t know”. Sarcasm at its best. And I was bummed that I fell prey to my fear and texted any advice at all.

I went to bed at 11. No sign of DD. At 1:00 am she’s banging on my bedroom door asking me to hurry and come in her room. She was freaking out saying she wanted to kill herself, had zero reason to live, she can no longer tolerate one huge crisis after another...She had just gotten a speeding ticket coming home at midnight.

I witnessed a complete BPD textbook dysregulation unfold in front of my eyes. Black and white thinking, fatalism, victimization, feelings = facts, extreme emotion, screaming, bawling, fear, shame, guilt...

It was extremely triggering to me. I hate loud noises in my ear, especially in the dead of night. So, I was encouraging her to cry and scream more quietly, etc. as we have a household of 6 and a freaked out Labrador.

I sat on her bed and just did deep breathing, occasionally saying “speeding tickets suck” “everyone gets them and everyone hates them” “it’s scary to see police lights” “I’m so sorry”. She finally calmed down around 2 and fell asleep.

During that hour, I was in a zen-type state of extreme calm and I had flashbacks of times in the past (before I knew better) where I would have said “DD, maybe you should have been home studying” “it’s dangerous to drive at night when you haven’t had much sleep”
“Why can’t you simply go to lunch and come back in 2-3 hours instead of 12 hours later?” This absolutely would have exacerbated the situation. I had insight into exactly what “Loving Someone with BPD” says about our ability to make their situation so much worse.

I’m chalking this one down as another lesson in this never ending textbook.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
FaithHopeLove
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Shaky

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 01:01:04 PM »

That is excellent, Peacemom. You did a great job.
Bluemoon23

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: living apart

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 02:43:16 PM »

Thank you for sharing this experience! So inspirational and good to see how you used the best things to help in the situation. So happy for you and to hear this Smiling (click to insert in post)

Normlee

Relationship status: Married

Each day is a gift -

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 06:38:31 PM »

Thanks for sharing a meltdown handled so well! This is perfect for me right now. I go too far "helping" and see I exasperate my DS.  I will practice being there for him gently- validating and letting him work through the emotions as he needs to.
Hugs

Normlee
Rosheger

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 07:24:27 PM »

I am very impressed!  High 5!  I had so many similar things happen years ago, long before I knew anything about emotional dysregulation!  Great example you gave us of best way to handle these situations!
PeaceMom

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 08:56:51 PM »

All’s quiet on the Western Front here tonight as DD hasn’t even mentioned the speeding ticket or horrible night last night. Life’s a continual whiplash w/a BPD kiddo.
secretgirl

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 09:54:14 PM »

Hope this encourages someone. Yesterday DD19 uBPD came in from being God Knows Where at 7:00 am. She did some college schoolwork, got dressed (looking darling) and left to go meet the friend du jour for lunch. At 8:00 pm I texted to remind her that she has been out all night and sleep was important to be in the right mindset for a big college test today. She said “oh really, I didn’t know”. Sarcasm at its best. And I was bummed that I fell prey to my fear and texted any advice at all.

I went to bed at 11. No sign of DD. At 1:00 am she’s banging on my bedroom door asking me to hurry and come in her room. She was freaking out saying she wanted to kill herself, had zero reason to live, she can no longer tolerate one huge crisis after another...She had just gotten a speeding ticket coming home at midnight.

I witnessed a complete BPD textbook dysregulation unfold in front of my eyes. Black and white thinking, fatalism, victimization, feelings = facts, extreme emotion, screaming, bawling, fear, shame, guilt...

It was extremely triggering to me. I hate loud noises in my ear, especially in the dead of night. So, I was encouraging her to cry and scream more quietly, etc. as we have a household of 6 and a freaked out Labrador.

I sat on her bed and just did deep breathing, occasionally saying “speeding tickets suck” “everyone gets them and everyone hates them” “it’s scary to see police lights” “I’m so sorry”. She finally calmed down around 2 and fell asleep.

During that hour, I was in a zen-type state of extreme calm and I had flashbacks of times in the past (before I knew better) where I would have said “DD, maybe you should have been home studying” “it’s dangerous to drive at night when you haven’t had much sleep”
“Why can’t you simply go to lunch and come back in 2-3 hours instead of 12 hours later?” This absolutely would have exacerbated the situation. I had insight into exactly what “Loving Someone with BPD” says about our ability to make their situation so much worse.

I’m chalking this one down as another lesson in this never ending textbook.

WOW soo inspirational... you go girl!
I find teenagers even when they're NOT bpd act super emotional/irrational. I know when I was around that age I was nuts LOL so I can't imagine having BPD on top of that... poor girl. But my mother was never like you... she was very invalidating so your daughter is very lucky to have you as her mother Smiling (click to insert in post)
Lola B

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 12:13:22 PM »

Excellent work! It is hard to bite your tongue and parent when they get older. Having pain from the emotional demonstration is very hard. When I was recovering from my brain injury I wore earplugs a lot. It helped. If DD is open to hearing it, tell her it helps you stay calm when she needs you. My DD19 is willing to tolerate me more and more each day because we communicate about it. I have used the term Highly Sensitive Person because BPD triggers her and may be wrong. She likes that and it is very true. There are things she perceives as obvious that are imperceptible to some.

Hang in there and stay awesome!
StressedOutDaily

Relationship status: married

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 12:52:49 PM »

Great job!  Love it! (click to insert in post)
wendydarling
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Mother

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2019, 01:24:00 PM »

Go you Peace, you've worked so hard on your learning, that must have felt so good! I relate to the Zen type state you describe it's powerful and in turn you can teach your DD a valuable skill overtime.

Be kind, always and all ways ~ my BPD daughter
PeaceMom

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2019, 02:42:48 PM »

I appreciate the encouragement, ya’ll. I will use the term Highly Sensitive Person w/DD as she has no idea that her last psych ward wrote down BPD as a preliminary working diagnosis. If she did hear them mention it, she would have had zero frame of reference and it likely was over her head.

I just watched the expert video posted at the top of our home page here by Fruzelli taking to therapists who do BPD Family Therapy. Excellent information. Thanks Skip!
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Rosheger

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2019, 12:09:46 AM »

Just watched it too - very interesting!
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2014; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2019, 12:37:11 AM »

Excerpt
I sat on her bed and just did deep breathing, occasionally saying “speeding tickets suck” “everyone gets them and everyone hates them” “it’s scary to see police lights” “I’m so sorry”. She finally calmed down around 2 and fell asleep

This is great.  You could have judged her, sure, yet that wasn't the issue of the moment.  You may have also built trust in that she might be more open to your advice in the future,  advice which may seem obvious to you or us, but hard to understand during an emotional dysregulation episode, where she might have felt guilty or shamed, but wouldn't admit it.

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest