Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 01:04:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "I don't want to help you because then you'd just expect more."  (Read 811 times)
unicorn2014

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2015, 11:24:44 AM »

My husband has been doing therapy for a short while, but doesn't feel like the therapist is "doing" anything, other than being a good listener. I've built up my "validation" bank and have tried not to say anything that could be interpreted as "criticism". He hasn't dysregulated for quite a while--short outbursts, but no out of control dramas. However, he's been consistently grouchy and irritable.

I chose to have a "real" conversation, like I'd have with a non. I mentioned how challenging it was to be glared at, spoken to in an irritable tone and otherwise treated with displaced anger, when he really wasn't angry at me. I told him that it was really frustrating not to have a partner I could count on to lend me a hand with some of the heavy physical work around here. Such as it would be really nice to have someone help me lift something heavy when I was fixing something, rather than have to get creative about how I could accomplish it on my own. And I mentioned that I quit asking him for assistance after the dirty looks, the sighs, the victim stance.

I really appreciate this post and I'm glad you had the courage to stand up to him. I often talk to my pwBPD about how his facial expression is hard to look at it and can he please be a little more cheerful. (Of course we are in LDR so that makes things harder.) My pwBPD also always talks about how "talk therapy" is not helpful to him and he doesn't like "having someone walking around in his head" and how going every week wouldn't be useful to him. I'm glad your husband is going. I'm really looking forward to the day when my pwBPD does DBT and we do couples counseling.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Notwendy

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2015, 11:53:45 AM »

I have not been able to achieve what I would call intimate talk with my H, that talking about things that are difficult or emotional. We have had some progress with this in MC, where the C acts as a referee. I have come to the point where I don't attempt it on my own. Maybe not the best solution, but trying ends up with me feeling tired and frustrated, not connected. I have just come to accept trying to get to my H's deeper feelings isn't a a good idea for me. The MC can do this much better than I can.

I did read a book that I found helpful, not just withBPD. - for marriages where talking doesn' t seem to help.

www.amazon.com/Improve-Marriage-Without-Talking-About/dp/0767923189

So how did I catch on to any dysfunction in my H's family? Things looked fine when I visited, but they also did in my home when we had guests. Over time, in subsequent generations, it played out in their relationships and marriages. It was then that I started to put the picture together, but even so, it was most helpful to me to learn about why people match up with each other so I could learn my part of it.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest