Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 22, 2024, 05:40:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Books members most read
The High
Conflict Couple
Loving Someone with
Borderline Personality Disorder
Loving the
Self-Absorbed
Borderline Personality
Disorder Demystified

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Have I just initiated final discard  (Read 405 times)
Zenpadwan

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: June 28, 2017, 08:24:18 AM »

Hi, this site has been very helpful in figuring out the best way to progress with suspected BPDwife. I have read walking on eggshells and When hope is not enough, the latter more helpful in my opinion.

I have spent the last few weeks utterly avoiding JADE'ing and validating her every rant/vent by simply reflecting back ie Damn, that must have made you feel really disrespected when I/he/she did what not... .I can see that would be hurtful to you... .type of responses. A little contrived at first but the remarkable thing it seems to reduce or stop the one sided loop arguments that have almost destroyed our marriage over the last 2 years.

I have consciously stopped soaking up the blame and accusations and validated the feelings behind it without apologising or saying sorry... .for anything unwarrented, which I have suspected previously gave her what she needed in terms of me accepting responsibility for her inability to deal with her own feelings at the triggered time.

That has made a tremendous difference to how I feel and wellbeing. Yes, it's lovingly detaching... .doesn't feel good to do that to someone you care and love so much.

I had a suspected extinction burst after doing the above for the 3rd time during a conversation where I didn't take the bait resulting in... .'Your going to put me in hospital the way you treat me, your determined. When I'm lying in hospital you can just watch me suffer and realise what you've done'

I said, 'That would be very sad, nobody wants you to be in hospital, I care for you very much'... .and left it at that... .avoiding 'what do you mean?' Why? etc which is a recipe for an hour of hell.

Since then, silence... .will not engage with me other than 'hello' in return to my 'Hi'

Have I pushed it too far? I know from history if I start a probing 'relationship' type conversation it will turn ugly again within 30 seconds. I'm non existent for 3 days now. Learned to avoid self guilt and look after myself and hit the gym etc which on the plus side avoids conflict.

I am hoping that if this can be maintained for several weeks that maybe she can become more emotionally regulated... .worse case she completely permanently discards me for not being able to transfer feelings and ownership of these to me... .something has to change... .worried and confused.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Tattered Heart
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 09:06:36 AM »

I can imagine how eerie that feeling must be. It's hard to know whether this is a behavior change or a discard. It may be that your wife just doesn't know how to handle things now that you've set some boundaries. All of her arguments and previous triggers for you are not working. I hope that things mellow out. Just don't forget to continue practicing skills even during the times of calmness.

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life Proverbs 13:12

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest