Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 20, 2024, 08:28:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it him or me?  (Read 820 times)
seekonlypeace

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: August 11, 2016, 08:37:38 PM »

I am hoping that someone can give me some objective third-party perspective on whether I am the one being unreasonable, or whether my housemate is the one who is unreasonable.  I am a widow who bought a nice house with my late husband almost 25 years ago.  After he died, I met a man on a dating website.  He moved in with me almost immediately.  I knew it was far too soon, but he had nowhere else to go.  He is completely impoverished, has no assets and hardly any income, but has been working on property I own, to build something.  He has a history of rages, heavy drinking binges, paranoid delusions about neighbors, hallucinations of neighbor voices, and boundary issues.  The rages were terrible, but he had stopped them for almost three months. 

I became hopeful, but then he had another rage a few days ago, and then another one last night.  A few days ago, he told me that he wanted to cut down all the large trees near a building on my property where he is working.  He fears that the trees will fall on the structures he has built, and destroy them.  I greatly value trees, especially large beautiful ones, and so I expressed some concern about that, and suggested bringing in a certified arborist to give us information about which trees might be likely to fall.  That completely enraged him. 

Then yesterday, he started to install some floor covering on the good hardwood floors in my house.  I asked him to install them with the printed side up, which was the manufacturer's suggestion.  He became enraged because the printed side was inside the roll, so that the covering curls up on the ends.  He insisted that he would install them with the printed side down.  I didn't want ink to leach onto my floors, and knew that the covering had been designed to be easily reshaped and flattened on the ends.  So I insisted that they be installed with inked side up, while bending the curls in the opposite direction.  But he would not even try that.  He raged for a long time, and then went on a drinking binge.  I feel that I am in a crisis.

This seems so trivial to me, but he feels that it demonstrates that I am too rigid, that I do not trust in his builder's knowledge, and that I am constantly creating obstacles to his accomplishment.  He wants me always to go along with whatever he decides to do with my property.  If I raise objections, he will rage.

He has lived here for six years, but I feel closer and closer to giving up and asking him to leave.  I fear for my safety, and am concerned about his ability to support himself, and to survive emotionally, since he has stopped communicating with all his friends and family, completely isolating himself except for me.  And he makes me wonder whether I am the one who is  being unreasonable and controlling, making his job impossible, as he claims.  Does anyone have any insight into this that I might be missing?
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other
Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2014; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 09:49:14 PM »

Is this his property? Is this his house? It wouldn't matter if he were Bob Villa.  If you wanted to go Sara  Winchester and install doors to nowhere and windows in the floor, that's your right as the property owner,  no?

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
seekonlypeace

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 10:28:17 PM »

No, it's not his property or his house.  He started claiming the right to do whatever he wanted to my possessions very early.  Only the first or second time that he came to my house, he said that he wanted to completely overhaul my water distiller.  I was in the process of trying to learn how to maintain the distiller, and whatever he planned would have interfered with that.  It was only a short time after my late husband’s death, and I was carefully piecing together messages I found from him about the distiller.  Also, I had never experienced a guest coming into my house trying to take over my appliances.  It felt invasive of my space.  But my new guest never seemed to understand that, no matter how much I tried to explain it to him.  He still mentions that incident with bitterness, even though eventually I gave in. 

He seems to feel that he is a master repairman, builder, engineer, and scientist, who can accomplish everything on his own without consulting anyone from the "outside", completely self-sufficient.  He demands that I not question his absolute expertise, but will not recognize any expertise that I have.  He rages if I consult any other experts.  He claims that I am trying to control him if I tell him I want a different result from what he wants.

He is very difficult to live with, and I often question if I can go on with him.  But I have spent a lot of money on the construction project, and am very entangled.  I care about him, and we had a dream of building a homestead and garden.  But I am so torn about whether to continue or not.  These feelings of conflict have been going on for years.
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Relationship status: "Divorced"/abandoned by SO in Feb 2014; Mother with BPD, PTSD, Depression and Anxiety: RIP in 2021.

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 10:58:02 PM »

This boils down to an issue of boundaries, even if you are doubting your values (which sound reasonable to me). This discussion may help:

This thread is about "examples".  In this thread we will discuss your value, your boundaries and how to defend your boundaries.

For some background information with more depth, there is a great discussion regarding the 3 types of boundaries (mental, emotional, physical) that everyone should read on this thread:

BOUNDARIES: Upholding our values and independence

Value:   Important aspect of life that I commit to live fully.
Boundary:   Defining what falls outside of my value, what is unacceptable.
Action:   One of the options I have when a boundary is threatened.[/url]

Click on the quote link for the entire discussion.  

Not to arm chair diagnose him,  but it sounds like his projects are what he does to soothe his dysregulated emotions.  My BPD mother is a hoarder,  and has all sorts of wacky ideas and projects.  If you challenge her on anything,  then you're being "controlling." It's bad.  Very bad,  like the TV show.  This may be what he does in order to help him control his emotions. When his control is challenged,  he dysregulates into rage and even more dysfunctions coping mechanisms.  Though you can learn how to communicate better in a non triggering manner  (see the lessons to the right of the board,  or Lesson 3 on the Improving Board), ultimately,  you aren't responsible for his feelings.  

Despite his behavior,  it sounds like you care about him,  yes?  The rage and the drinking sound concerning,  though.  :)o you feel safe when he acts up like this?  

“For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.” ― Rudyard Kipling
seekonlypeace

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 12:12:09 AM »

Yes, I do care about him.  He can be very kind.  But when he rages, it's very intimidating.  When he has been drunk during a rage, it sometimes has been particularly bad.  He has shouted, cursed at me, thrown things, and once grabbed me by the wrists and wouldn't let go.  A couple of times he had access to weapons, and didn't directly threaten me, but I was very frightened.  He has never hit me, but I am afraid.  I have read that the most dangerous time of all is during and after a breakup, so that is very scary.

Thanks for the reading material on setting boundaries.  I will study them.
Naughty Nibbler

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 12:54:14 AM »

Hi seekonlypeace:

I'm sorry about your situation.  It sounds unpleasant and perhaps unsafe.

You may need to seek some legal advice. Technically, he is likely considered a tenant. You might need to evict him, if you decides he needs to go.  Have you paid for all the materials related to the work?  Did you have some type of agreement in regard to his labor (room and board for labor?)

It's not likely to get any better, unless your friend decides he has a problem and gets some help.

I've had some experience with abusive men who love to take things apart and rebuild them. I once purchased a house with a friend, as a co-owner (we had a dating relationship for a period of time).  It didn't take long before all the dry wall and fixtures were torn down for remodeling.  I spent over a year living in our garage.  My co-owner liked to restore classic cars.  I ended up with what I affectionately referred to the "car in a box" that resided in our back yard for a few years. There was always some conflict: He wanted to let a friend store their boat in the back yard, one night he bought two homeless people to the house to spend the night.  It got worse when he brought his new girlfriend over to live at the house.

He got physically abusive for a period of time.  He was a mean drunk.  I'll never forget the night we went to a concert together.  He had had a few drinks.  He wanted to torment me, so he drove like a crazy man on the freeway, high rate of speed, weaving in an out traffic with excessive lane changes.  His classic muscle car didn't have seat belts.  I feared for my life.  I left him at the concert, as it wasn't safe to get back in a car with him.  I took a cab home and slept in my car that night.  We were living in the garage at that time.  When I came back into the garage the next morning, he was in a rage and threw a knife at me.  I left and spent the rest of the day at the beach.  When I came back that evening, he had turned the electricity off.  This was all retribution because I wouldn't get back in the car with him, as I feared for my safety.

You can't change your friend.  Only he can decide to quit drinking.  His raging won't likely stop, unless he decides he has a problem and wants to correct it.  You have to decide how much more of this you can take.  Depending on where you live, you may have some problems if you aren't getting a building permit and inspections for the construction.

Do you have a friend or relative that you can lean on for some support?
motherhen

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 01:35:07 AM »

He may have Bipolar type 1 and not just BPD. There is a good sized percentage of those with Bipolar that also have BPD. I am not a mental health professional just married to a comorbid BP/BPD spouse and in my opinion;
Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post) paranoid delusions 
Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post) auditory hallucinations 
Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post) the grandiose delusional behavior of taking on all these "projects" with no regard to the consent of the property owner (you) or willingness to accept input. Belief that he is the sole expert on this matters is a delusion.
Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post) the degree to which he has overtaken these projects is suggestive of mania
Grey Kitty

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 04:19:26 AM »

I am hoping that someone can give me some objective third-party perspective on whether I am the one being unreasonable, or whether my housemate is the one who is unreasonable.

Simple answer: The situation as you describe it is one where your housemate is being unreasonable.

When you are subject to this kind of thing for a long time, it is easy to start doubting yourself. Especially since he is so insistent about it.

Your situation sounds like a friend who was living with a guy she described once as "The man who came to dinner and never left." [Except that he was actually really good at home improvements for her, and as far as I know, not prone to raging or drinking!]

Has the controlling behavior, drinking, and/or raging been slowly escalating over the years?
Notwendy

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 06:36:34 AM »

When I read he has lived with you for six years, I wondered about common law marriage.

I don't know much about these legal matters, but should you ask him to leave, I wonder if he can claim any rights to your property, or tenant rights. I expect this would vary from state to state, but would be worth looking into so you know this aspect of this relationship. In some states, marital property is 50-50. I don't know if this includes common law.
gotbushels

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 08:51:15 AM »

Hi seekonlypeace 

I'd like to offer you some encouragement. You can find support here.

I became hopeful, but then he had another rage a few days ago, and then another one last night.  A few days ago, he told me that he wanted to cut down all the large trees near a building on my property where he is working.  He fears that the trees will fall on the structures he has built, and destroy them.  I greatly value trees, especially large beautiful ones, and so I expressed some concern about that, and suggested bringing in a certified arborist to give us information about which trees might be likely to fall.  That completely enraged him
For this example, while both of your opinions are of importance, I don't think this example shows mutual respect in communication. It might help you to pay specific attention to the chronology of the highlighted parts to see generally how you guys are communicating. I think what Turkish suggested about being aware of and upholding your limits would be valuable to you for situations like this in future. I encourage you to pursue that.

So I insisted that they be installed with inked side up, while bending the curls in the opposite direction.  But he would not even try that.  He raged for a long time, and then went on a drinking binge.  I feel that I am in a crisis.
Here, I think both of your opinions and practical problem solving methods are important. A respectful way to go about this doesn't seem available here. When people rage and binge drink at me from a discussion--me too, I've had both--I would also feel very, very uncomfortable. Again, limits and boundaries will help here. They can have the added effect of clearing things up for you.

This seems so trivial to me, but he feels that it demonstrates that I am too rigid, that I do not trust in his builder's knowledge, and that I am constantly creating obstacles to (... .)
Sometimes things that seem trivial to others, is very real and important to us.

I also support what Grey Kitty said to summarise the general pattern.

Something that may help you is to keep a calendar of the rages and very difficult behaviour. It helped me a lot to see what was going on and when. Please do stay safe and keep such notes in a safe and secure place if you choose to do this. You can write down a quick sentence on what it was about and how difficult it was for you.

I hope you find solutions and peace.  Smiling (click to insert in post)
Naughty Nibbler

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 05:56:10 PM »

seekonlypeace:

You refer to the disordered person in you life as a "housemate".  How is that label defined in your eyes?  Is he a tennent, or is he your romantic partner that you are in love with?  For most people, a housemate would denote a roommate and not a romantic relationship.

If you haven't spoken to a therapist about your situation and possible decisions, it might be worth a few visits.  A professional could offer you support with making some decisions.  Statistically, a 60-year old female may have 1/3 of their life span left.   Is the current situation the way you want to spend the rest of your life?  You are a compassionate woman, but at some point you have to place your well being and safety first.

Being alone and loneliness can be uncomfortable, but is can be resolved a lot easier than trying to resolve the problems with an untreated disordered person.  If this were a situation with your deceased husband, then the advice would be a lot different.  I'm just thinking that this man may have taken advantage of you.  It will get harder to correct as the years pass you by.

seekonlypeace

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2016, 12:24:30 AM »

Thanks to everyone for your observations and suggestions.  This is really helpful.  I feel supported.  Naughty Nibbler, your story about your friend who tore down all the dry wall and fixtures really resonated with me.  My difficult friend continues to talk about tearing out the dry wall in my house to seal up the air ducts (he has an obsession about wood smoke from the neighbors), so your story sounds so familiar.  I often feel as if this situation is so unique that I am breaking new ground in trying to find a solution.  But maybe I am not so alone. 

I agree that I need to get legal advice.  I have thought about that, but just haven't done it yet.  So I just now put it onto my to-do list for next week.  Fortunately, I found out long ago that my state does not have common law marriages, so that I won't end up married to him by default.  But still I need to find out more about how I might be exposing myself and how to protect myself.  He periodically demands that I draw up a contract with him, and that really scares me.  We had an informal agreement in the beginning to trade his labor for living expenses, but nothing in writing.  I know that now he wants a share of my property, not just room and board, but he has produced nothing yet, in all this time, that increases the value of my property.  I have spent a huge sum of money and have very little to show for it, except piles of tools rusting in the rain.  I definitely would consult an attorney before signing any contract.

Grey Kitty, I started to see the controlling behavior and raging very early, just a few weeks after we met.  But his drinking was very moderate at first.  The heavy drinking escalated over time, and made the rages worse.  He promised to stop drinking a few weeks ago, and kept that promise for a while.  But a few nights ago, he started drinking again.

I really appreciate everyone's insights.  I will come back and re-read them again, and the material on boundaries.
seekonlypeace

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2016, 12:51:36 AM »

Naughty Nibbler, I didn't see your last posting until after I had posted my response.  You asked about my relationship with my difficult friend.  At first we were lovers, but the rages and controlling behavior pushed me away.  We have been more distant for some years now, even though we live in the same house.  From what I have read, I think this is a normal response to abusive behavior.  There are times when we hug each other, but that's all.  I care about him, but I can't bring myself to do more with someone who has raged at me and cursed at me.  He is the opposite of my late husband, who was so warm and loving, so healing, and so easy to talk to.

I have been seeing a therapist.  She recently experienced insurance problems, and called me to tell me that she had decided to drop insurance, which amounts to the end of our therapeutic relationship.  This happened just a couple of days ago, and by coincidence her call came right in the middle of my crisis!  So I am now searching for another therapist.

Even with a therapist, I find that I wish for a support group, and some more specific coaching for behaviors to deal with the abuse.  So I am looking for that now.  This group here feels very supportive.  I am also thinking about joining a local NAMI group for friends/family of BPD people.  And I made an appointment today to talk to a counsellor next week at the local women's crisis center.  I hope these things will help.  Thanks for your concern and your suggestions.
Grey Kitty

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2016, 12:54:11 AM »

$.02 on legal advice... .

1. We have a legal board here. It is mostly about divorce/custody issues, which (fortunately) you don't have to deal with, but check in there anyway. The senior folks there are very pragmatic on dealing with lawyers and also legal fights with high conflict people. Figuring out how to pick a good lawyer could be important, and they can help with that too. ... .I'll encourage you to post your legal questions there.

2. You don't sound certain how you want to deal with him. If you just want him out, and to protect your assets, a lawyer can help. If you want to take a different path, a lawyer may help too. If you don't know what outcome you want, I wouldn't count on a lawyer helping you choose.

Grey Kitty

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2016, 01:00:46 AM »

Other thoughts--so sorry you lost your therapist. Good luck finding a new one... .and if you find one that doesn't seem competent or seem to be a good fit, keep looking--I know both good and bad ones are out there.

I'm going to suggest that while you are sorting out what you want to do with him, try to make living with him better. (Note, that doesn't mean always agree with him or give in!)

I'm glad to hear that you found backing away from him when he was controlling and raging "natural". Keep trusting those instincts.

So in the "make things better" department, there is a LOT of material here. It might be easier to describe something specific that you want to improve, and see if we can offer you specific ideas how to deal better.
seekonlypeace

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2016, 01:07:32 AM »

Grey Kitty, thanks for your suggestion.  I will check out the legal board.  That sounds like a good resource.  I want to protect my assets no matter what happens, so I think I have questions that a lawyer can help me with.
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2016, 10:36:22 AM »

I have spent a huge sum of money and have very little to show for it, except piles of tools rusting in the rain. 

This sentence totally resonated with me as it completely described my experience with my ex-husband after we had purchased a parcel with acreage and planned to live in a trailer and then build a house. Until I ended the marriage, nothing was built other than a rudimentary structure that was under 150 square feet, a pump house for the well, and neither of those were ever completed by him.

I was the one who had the money and like you, I watched building materials become unusable after being exposed to the elements and tools rust in the rain. For my ex, acquiring the materials for a future "project" was an end in itself and he lost interest at that point. It was very discouraging to me, because, like your housemate, my ex disparaged my opinions, my assistance, my ideas, my help.

Things didn't get better until I ended the marriage and hired a contractor and began building a little house.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
seekonlypeace

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2016, 08:21:29 PM »

Cat Familiar, wow, that is exactly what has happened to me.  He promised to build me a fairly large house for a particular amount of money that sounded affordable.  I spent about 5 times that amount and then stopped counting about three years ago.  He built a tiny one-room cabin, about 12 ft x 12 ft, and a well house.  He never finished the tiny cottage, never installed the insulation, inside walls, screens, and other materials that I purchased, and the roof has been leaking for a couple of years, damaging what he did build.  He won't fix the roof, and blames me, because I kept reminding him about my budget, so he bought cheap inferior roofing material.  The roof and walls also leak on two storage buildings.  He won't fix them, and instead started work on another structure.  He put a lot of work and materials into this new structure, and then said it was temporary, because he did not put a foundation under the structure.  He spent most of the first two years, and my money, buying tools, two ancient trucks, storage tanks, electrical parts, and on and on, all old things that only he can use because only he knows how to repair them, so I can't just sell them easily.  They are all rusting in the weather.  He told me that rust is good for metal because it protects it.  He considers himself a scientist who knows all about chemistry and physics.  He also took my late husband's tools and put them into a leaking building, so now my late husband's tool box is full of water, just sitting there.  It breaks my heart. 

He spent all my money, and continues to get angry that I had not warned him that the money was running out, which is completely false.  I gave him a detailed accounting of how much was left, but then he got angry that I was giving him that information, so I stopped per his request.  Now he is angry that I don't give him all the money that he wants for construction.  But the money is gone because he spent it all, on the tools he is allowing to rust.  He seems to consider me an infinite fount of money.  Now I can barely cover the monthly bills for the two of us to live on.  He has no money.  That's another thing that makes separating difficult.

He hasn't lost interest, but has indicated that he might have to leave, for health reasons.  But he wants me to go with him.

I fantasize about hiring a contractor to do what I want to do.  At least then I could get done what I want, to my specifications, without rages and changes to what he wants instead of what I want.  He would never stand for my bringing in a contractor to do anything.  He rages if I even ask for information from someone else.  He considers us a completely self-sufficient unit, and everyone else out there has commercial interests that are suspect.  So I don't see that it would be easy for me to do while he is around.

I am curious how you were able to end it, whether you feared violence, and whether you had to help him economically in order to accomplish a separation.  Those are things I've thought about in my own situation.  But if it's too painful to go back over it, I understand, and you don't have to tell me.
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2016, 09:56:28 PM »

I'm so sorry, Seek. I don't mind sharing my story. I've shared it enough times that I'm desensitized to it. At this point, it seems like a weird movie in which I played a bit part, because, as you know, it's all about them.

Some relationships are not fixable and it took me nearly twenty years to figure that out. I told myself that with the next incidence of infidelity or violence, I was done. When that opportunity came, I had to contemplate whether I'd be true to myself or if I was just waiting to die in this relationship. I pulled the plug. It wasn't easy. In fact, he made it far more difficult than it needed to be. Part of our issue was that we shared a business together. So bit by bit, I unraveled our conjoined lives and I've never regretted it for a minute.

Like your pwBPD, mine insisted that he could do things better than building professionals. Well, I spent a lot of money to fix the poorly constructed messes and dangerous electrical hazards that he left.

A friend loaned me a gun, which I kept under my bed for a year. Thankfully I didn't need it. He had a history of being violent with me, but when I told him in no uncertain terms that our marriage was over, I think he realized that I had grown a spine and I wasn't to be trifled with any more. This is a very dangerous time for women, so if you end the relationship, make sure you have some strategies to keep you safe. Best is no contact.

In reading your account, I think I see a potential issue for you. You are concerned about his welfare. He's a grown man and he has chosen to behave the way he has and by doing so has taken advantage of your kind nature. To end this, you'll have to let go of "helping him" because he sounds like a black hole. There will never be enough that you'll ever be able to do for him and it will go on and on forever. Please decide if this is how you want to spend the rest of your life. When I finally looked at my situation without my bleeding heart getting in the way, the answer was obvious.  

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
motherhen

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2016, 11:32:23 PM »

I can't tell how old you are so forgive me if I'm wrong, but if you are a senior citizen you may be able to look into some resources for elder abuse depending on where you live both because he's financially taking advantage and you fear him. I don't know enough about it to know how helpful they will be, but it's worth a try. If at all possible, do not give him any funds and perhaps he will decide that his health reasons plus lack of funds motivate him to mosey on down the road elsewhere.
LilMe

Relationship status: Together 10 years; now living apart since April 2016

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2016, 07:44:44 AM »

I hate that you are in this situation, seekonlypeace!  If there is a domestic violence shelter near you, they may offer services that will help.  Support groups, counseling, phone support, a safe place to stay if you feel you need protection if you end up asking him to leave.  Please do not hesitate to call.  His rages are treatment of you are abusive.  Anyone can use any of their services for any kind of abuse; not only physical abuse.  1−800−799−7233 is the national hotline number you can call for advice and to locate the shelter nearest you.

I think the hardest part of getting out of a situation like this is just taking the first step!  Once you get rolling, it gets easier.  You matter.  Your opinions, especially regarding your property, are important.  Best wishes and keep us posted on what is happening!
Grey Kitty

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2016, 12:25:44 PM »

seekonlypeace, you talk about how he doesn't have any money or resources except what you provide, and that you are afraid of what will happen to him if you kick him out.

This may not be conscious on his part, but in effect what he's doing is taking a hostage and holding a gun to the hostage's head and telling you that if you don't support him, he'll shoot the hostage. The wrinkle is that his hostage is himself... .

Ultimately, it isn't your responsibility to support him, at least morally, and shouldn't be legally, but you have some work to do to make sure you are safe there.
seekonlypeace

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2016, 08:23:39 PM »

Herodias, he has told me that he thinks he might be paranoid schizophrenic.  But I'm not sure that's the right diagnosis.  He is against any medication unless it is something he researches and prescribes for himself.  One time he told me if I called the police he would "kill everything."  I'm not sure what he meant by that. 

How do you change yourself so that you do not fear the difficult one's anger?  The fear allows him to control you.  But the fear might be healthy and realistic.  What if he is dangerous?  How do you keep yourself safe?  What if you are the one who owns the house?  All the advice I read on the web tells me how to "leave".  But it's my house, not his.  I can't leave, and should not have to leave, because it's my house.  The standard advice doesn't make sense for this situation.

Tomorrow I am meeting with a counselor from the local woman's crisis center to talk about safety planning, so maybe that will help me.  But if any of you have advice or stories to tell that could help, let me know.

Motherhen, I am 67 years old.  But I don't know that this would count as senior abuse, because I think all the laws have to do with caretakers abusing those in their care.  That doesn't fit this situation.  And he is also in his 60s.  I'll look into it, though.  I plan to call an attorney sometime this week.  Maybe the crisis center will have some ideas about it also.

Thanks to all of you for your ideas and support.  This is a good place.
Turkish
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Dad to my wolf pack

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2016, 08:28:31 PM »

Elder abuse in California (my state) can be by anyone (including one's self) against someone 65 or older. I'm glad you're meeting with a counselor for support. Leaving (even temporarily) without a plan can result in added danger upon return.

motherhen

« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2016, 11:16:06 PM »

You don't want to stop the fear. The fear is what keeps you safe right now. I am glad you are meeting with someone that can point you towards resources.

I looked up the criteria for elder abuse and while laws vary by state here is what I found;

Physical Abuse—inflicting physical pain or injury on a senior, e.g. slapping, bruising, or restraining by physical or chemical means.
Sexual Abuse—non-consensual sexual contact of any kind.
Neglect—the failure by those responsible to provide food, shelter, health care, or protection for a vulnerable elder.
Exploitation—the illegal taking, misuse, or concealment of funds, property, or assets of a senior for someone else's benefit.
Emotional Abuse—inflicting mental pain, anguish, or distress on an elder person through verbal or nonverbal acts, e.g. humiliating, intimidating, or threatening.
Abandonment—desertion of a vulnerable elder by anyone who has assumed the responsibility for care or custody of that person.
Self-neglect—characterized as the failure of a person to perform essential, self-care tasks and that such failure threatens his/her own health or safety.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest