Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 15, 2024, 04:35:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Near or in break-up mode?
What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship
Is Your Relationship Breaking Down?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestions on living life during a crisis  (Read 538 times)
thecounterfeiter

What is your sexual orientation: Bisexual
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Long distance, polyamorous

« on: April 11, 2024, 09:44:03 AM »

My parter is in a time of… perpetual crisis right now. I am having difficulty balancing caring for him and everyday life.

I want to be there for him, and support him to the best of my abilities/ limits. This is challenging. When he is really “in the thick of it” he can be confusing, illogical, and just plain mean. I’m working on strategies like: just letting him speak, validation (carefully! He reads a lot of validation as not genuine), calming myself with deep breaths, and upholding my boundaries (leaving the conversation when he won’t stop saying hurtful things to me).

But my big issue is going back to my “everyday life.” I have chores to do, work to do, friend and family commitments. I want to go on walks, read books, do yoga, whatever. But after speaking to him “in crisis mode” I’m so keyed up that I find it really hard to detach a bit and calm down. I find myself ruminating, wondering if I could have handled things better, thinking of ways I could help. I over research, reading message boards and articles (that just tell me all the things I already know! I have read so many books on BPD! It’s just my brain keeps telling me I’m “missing something”).

Any tips for getting out of my head, accepting that I’m doing the best that I can, and finding the calm/motivation I need to actually live my life outside of my role of partner/caregiver?

RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Pook075
Ambassador

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2024, 10:49:15 AM »

Hello and thanks for sharing.

I think the part you're missing is that you always come first.  It's fantastic that you provide support and affirmation, but it's not so fantastic if you're doing it at your own mental health expense.  There has to be a balance there where everyone gets what they need, and you can't listen endlessly to crisis while hoping to keep your own sanity.  I've tried to walk that path with my BPD daughter and it would quite literally drive me insane at times.

For instance, she had plans to 'kidnap' a newborn once a niece gave birth. The niece wanted her to adopt, but my daughter couldn't legally do that.  So she came up with a scheme to just take the baby from the hospital and bring it back to our state.  And I listened to this unfold for days, weeks, months...calmly explaining that the law wouldn't allow that while being completely ignored.  She became so disillusioned that she snapped on me, making demands about my responsibility as the grandfather.  And I just couldn't take it anymore, I was getting sucked into everything and I was a wreck.

Listening with empathy is critical, but there are limits for each of us.  Your own needs come first and that allows you to be much more mentally stable for your partner.  I hope that helps.
thecounterfeiter

What is your sexual orientation: Bisexual
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Long distance, polyamorous

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2024, 03:47:36 PM »

Listening with empathy is critical, but there are limits for each of us.  Your own needs come first and that allows you to be much more mentally stable for your partner.  I hope that helps.

Thanks so much for your reply. I think I just need to practice this (I understand all the theory about self care and limits and putting my own oxygen mask on first - just have trouble actually doing it in practice!). But it’s a really helpful reminder and validation of how important this is. And remembering this helps my partner too is a really good nudge in the right direction.

And WOW. That’s an intense and difficult situation you described with your daughter. I’m so sorry you had to go through that, and I hope everyone involved is okay.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest