Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 29, 2024, 01:06:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 dates and 2 major red flags  (Read 390 times)
B1987

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Broken up

« on: August 13, 2021, 03:06:45 AM »

I have been going over my r/s with my ex gf and thinking of some of the huge red flags that I overlooked. 2 of the worst actually came on the first and second dates and thinking about them, I cannot believe I saw her again let alone lasted 4 years with her! I actually shudder to think of them but I'll share them with you here.

1st date - 1st  Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post) - my ex gf invited me to hers for a drink after we had been talking and texting for a month, in this time it felt (to me) like we'd already built a strong connection and that something beautiful was forming. When I got to her house about 7pm, she'd clearly been drinking, she wasn't drunk but she'd at least had a couple  Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post) Nevertheless, she looked so attractive and was immediately flirty, playful, warm, welcoming and seemed completely at ease with me, I couldn't believe how quickly we seemed to gel. She carried on drinking and after a couple of hours was pretty drunk. Now for the really weird part - she decided to order pizza and when the pizza guy arrived she went to the door to meet him, she didn't know but I stood near her in case she needed a hand but she couldn't see me. She then proceeded to drunkenly invite the pizza guy in to join her!  Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post) Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post) Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post) Fortunately, the pizza guy was very professional and did not want to come in even though she offered several times. She then asked for his number but he just gave her the pizza company number on the box. After he had gone, she then tried calling him on the number whilst sat next to me! At the time, I let it go as I just thought she was nervous about meeting me and had had a little too much. Little did I realise I was already becoming enmeshed! It was such a weird experience and I'd never stand for that again!

2nd date - 2nd  Red flag/bad  (click to insert in post) - I arranged to go out with her to the village where she lived for drinks. There were 2 or 3 bars/pubs that we were going to visit. When we got to the first bar, she immediately began running up to groups of men, hugging them, kissing them on the cheek, buying them drinks, letting them buy her drinks, laughing and joking with them as if they were long lost best friends. After she'd done this with one group of men, she run to the next area of the bar and do it with another group of men. I hardly saw her and she never spoke to me during the entire night! It was horrible seeing her throwing herself at these guys, I'm sure some were exes, some just knew her and some seemed like they couldn't even remember who she was. One of the strangest moments was when she pulled a young man on to the dance floor and forced him to dance with her, but all she while she had a confused look on her face as if he was the one who had pulled her on to the dance floor. After a few hours, I tried my best to get her home but she said she was staying out until at least 3.00am. I eventually just left and went home as it was a horrible night. She text me the following afternoon to apologise and I forgave her as despite all this, I was still falling for me! Her beauty and innocent charm attracted me so much it was scary.

After this, things calmed down somewhat but it was still the typical BPD r/s with other horrifying red flag moments still happening occasionally over the years. These extreme incidents kind of dropped off and made way for the everyday drama, conflict, mood swings and walking on eggshells etc. We had a ton of good times and I miss her dearly but whenever I think back to those first two dates, I cannot believe I didn't see how troubled she was and break it off - never again!

Thanks for reading.
Cromwell
`

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2021, 06:01:09 AM »

it's one of my own byproducts of looking back and the so called benefit of hindsight. I had a tendency to make mental notes rather than doing or saying much. I wonder if you have any regrets B1987 of a belief you could have done something differently/better in these scenarios?

It's easy after an accumulation of events for me to say "I should have spared myself the trouble and just left at the first sign of problems". The reality is that these situations were not relationship breakers by themselves, more in the box of hard to understand behaviour. My ex with BPD did not in the vast majority of times directly behave in a hostile or even crazy way towards me personally. A lot of things got labelled as quirkiness of personality, or if there was some malice detected, id give it the benefit of doubt if not able to 100% prove otherwise.

Learning lesson has been to call out stuff like this and try to resolve rather than let it pass. If it isn't possible to do this in a reasonable adult way, it then becomes a red flag that the relationship is most likely not suitable to me.

In other words, they are only red flags to me if they are fully accepted as such at the time rather than post relationship modifications. Thanks for sharing your experience has been beneficial to reflect upon my own. Best wishes
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest