Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 16, 2024, 08:24:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why can't my BPD adult child connect with her new baby?  (Read 572 times)
Sadmom2003
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: Married

« on: January 19, 2023, 10:14:38 PM »

I'm am heart broken about the lost relationship that my daughter and I had already so watching her be so detached from her prefect baby while choosing a terrible relationship that's full of abuse is too much. 

Anyone else experience this? My daughter is 20 grandson is 4 month.  State has been involved due to get mental instability and he likely will be adopted by a family friend eventually.  He's being showered Wythe love and its perfect. Just not his mother's love. 
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Notwendy

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 08:37:30 AM »

An adoptive mother's love is a mother's love. It sounds like this baby is being showered with love and that is wonderful.

Being able to conceive and give birth to a child makes someone a biological parent. While we hope that parent would also be a loving and caring parent, that takes more than biology.

I am a middle age adult child of a BPD mother who is not connected or loving to her children. She's not capable of this due to her own emotional issues from BPD.

As a child, I could see that my friends' mothers acted differently towards them than mine did towards me. I thought somehow it must be my fault and my mother also blamed me for her behavior. I thought that maybe, just maybe, if I was good enough, my mother would love me.

As an adult, I feel sad for my BPD mother and the emotional suffering she deals with- this suffering that is due to her own emotional distressed caused by BPD. She is so overwhelmed with her own feelings- there's just no emotional bandwidth available to pay attention to anyone else.  I also believe at some level, this is difficult for her as well. Just as I could see my friends' relationships with their mothers- she sees her friends' relationships with their grown children and grandchildren and wants this too. I understand this, and I tried my best to make this possible for her, until she began her own emotional drama with my children and I had to have boundaries. I don't want her to feel sad, I never wanted to do that but I will not allow her to behave towards my children the way she does with hers.

For you, I know this has to be difficult- to wish your daughter could love her child. I wish my mother could love her children too. But she can't. Thankfully, other people gave me that love a child needs- my father's family and even my friends' mothers were role models for me. If your grandchild has the chance to grow up in an emotionally stable and loving home, letting him have that could be the greatest gift of love to him.

PearlsBefore

What is your sexual orientation: Confidential
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 03:57:59 AM »

The best resource on understanding the lack of traditional maternal attachment and concern that comes with BPD, is certainly Dr. Christine Ann Lawson's book on BPD motherhood. A must-read for anyone who foresees prolonged contact or care of a mother with BPD with young children.

That said, in my own case, a dBPD in my life came to the attention of state caregivers due to issues with her children and was assessed with a BASC-3 PRQ test by a psychiatrist who found her maternal attachment was in the bottom 1% percentile of mothers referred for psychiatric testing.

If you have more questions, feel free to PM.

Cast not your pearls before swine, lest they trample them, and turn and rend you. --- I live in libraries; if you find an academic article online that you can't access but might help you - send me a Private Message.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest