Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 01:41:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to this  (Read 347 times)
chlojo
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: March 04, 2015, 05:20:54 PM »

Hi there, I'm the mother of two beautiful children a boy aged 9 and girl aged 4. I've been in a relationship since the age of 16 with the father of my kids. He is unbelievably difficult and over the last few months I have been speaking to a therapist as I have found his behaviour so tough. My main concern is for my children as they are growing up and witnessing his behaviour and also our families who have experienced such pain he has caused. My therapist initially suggested NP. Once I read about it things started to make sense. She has also suggested BPD. His younger sister has this diagnosis. I feel better in one sense, there is some sort of explanation but I'm afraid, devastated because it seems impossible that things will ever recover or be normal for us as a family.

I've no idea why it has taken me so long to get help and I d don't know why I have put up with so much. I feel quite afraid about staying with this person and also afraid to leave. I'm terrified of the effects all this is having in the children. My son gets heavy discipline from my partner and he shows massive favourtism towards my daughter - there are real double standards. I'm at a loss and just try to get through each day. I feel like I should try to leave but I'm worried about what he might do to himself or that he'd try and take the kids.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 07:14:14 PM »

Welcome

Firstly you are not alone and your situation is not unique. This position of hopelessness you find yourself in has evolved slowly over a long time and is not easily unpicked. It will take time.

Have a good read around this site and you will find lots of advice that make s sense to you. Have  read through the LESSONS. You will not be able to change him in the short term, nbut you will learn the importance on working on you, your values and boundaries, learning how to deal with conflict, or fear of it, more appropriately.

You may or may not save the RS, but you can certatinly get a better handle on it and how to help yourself and your kids.

Don't feel qguilty about taking so long to reach out for help. Many members have put up with this for 20-30 years before realizing they don't hav eto and it is possible to regain control of yyour life and prevent a lot of damage that can be inflicted on kids, and don't underestimate that.

Waverider

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
chlojo
Fewer than 3 Posts

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 12:51:30 PM »

Thanks, this is reassuring. I think the therapy is helping me to re establish my priorities. I have been through what I see is a pattern of being isolated, controlled, emotionally abused and exhausted. 25 years in I'm finding it quite hard to see this explanation of my situation as real even though it ticks the boxes. I just think it's hard to see what I have now as a relationship but my partner doesn't have anyone else. He has alienated himself from his family and has no friends. I have given him a part time job through my company, which is a complete nightmare to deal with. Can you recommend a starting point for me to read? Thanks again
waverider
Retired Staff

Relationship status: married 8 yrs, together 16yrs

If YOU don't change, things will stay the same

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 01:03:26 PM »

Thanks, this is reassuring. I think the therapy is helping me to re establish my priorities. I have been through what I see is a pattern of being isolated, controlled, emotionally abused and exhausted. 25 years in I'm finding it quite hard to see this explanation of my situation as real even though it ticks the boxes. I just think it's hard to see what I have now as a relationship but my partner doesn't have anyone else. He has alienated himself from his family and has no friends. I have given him a part time job through my company, which is a complete nightmare to deal with. Can you recommend a starting point for me to read? Thanks again

Try starting HERE, it links many articles in a logical order.

Keep in mind the process is all about changing us, as that is who we can control, we can't control anyone else. our actions can only influence others.

There is a wealth of information, knowledge and advice here, and it takes awhile for it all to sink in and feel natural.

Reality is shared and open to debate, feelings are individual and real
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest