Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 16, 2024, 04:28:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How would a child understand?
Shame, a Powerful, Painful and Potentially Dangerous Emotion
Was Part of Your Childhood Deprived by Emotional Incest?
Have Your Parents Put You at Risk for Psychopathology
Resentment: Maybe She Was Doing the...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Back again: managing BPD mother while TTC  (Read 349 times)
anyplacesafe

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: married

« on: May 30, 2017, 06:57:14 AM »

My spouse and I want to have a baby. We are both women so obviously there's a need for medical assistance! I thought my parents would be so pleased, especially since there has been some (not very welcome) joking about grandchildren, and since I'll be the one carrying it. But now suddenly my mother is being all weird and it's giving me flashbacks to wedding prep and her constant assertions that she was being/feeling left out/sidelined. We had our first doctor's appointment today and I feel strongly that she expected to be there and is angry with me. Whenever she asks for information she is just grumpy and unenthusiastic and sounds all affronted with the responses. What makes me angry is that she is now all "well what about your Career?" when previously she didn't seem to mind about that.

She does have some major stresses in her life at the moment that are not to do with me, but I do also feel strongly that she has escalated hugely since I told her we were going to TTC. If matters follow their normal course, at some point soon we will be in a situation where she will have a meltdown and be all "I wasn't going to say anything, but you've really hurt my feelings and you're making me ill!" and I just don't feel I can cope with any of that at all to be honest. I feel panicky and desperate.
OddOneOut

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 10:24:42 AM »

First of all, you're TTC! How wonderful! How exciting! How stressful!

I thought I couldn't conceive and although my mother knew how devastated I was, when we finally got pregnant her response was "Ohhh noo... ." and then awkward, passive-aggressive silence. Her involvement has cast a dark cloud over every important moment in my life. She even tried to sabotage the birth, putting me and the baby at risk!

Mom has a pattern of criticizing me for not being/doing certain things but then when I do them she reacts negatively and tries to sabotage. I think it's because doing things takes my attention away from her. Mom will criticize me for things because it's a weak spot that can be exploited, not because she actually wants it to change.

You would think, since your mom was teasing you about not giving her grandchildren, that she therefore wants grandchildren. That would be logical. I can see why you would feel disappointed that your parents don't share your excitement in a proper, supportive way.

It seems to me that my mom is threatened by the baby and maybe your mom is too? He takes all of my parenting energy and she cannot be prioritized over him. I just don't have any energy left and when she wants me to care for her on a level that isn't appropriate from daughter to mother, I think about my son and how he needs everything I've got. I won't take what is for my son and give it to her. My husband and I joke that she wants to be the only baby... .but I think it's sadly true.

You don't need this extra stress right now. You're already under enough stress TTC! You can't have this kind of stress when you get pregnant and especially not when you have the baby. You'll need all of your mental energy and lots of support to cope with the demands of a baby and the major life changes.

Also, this is an amazing and exciting time in your life. You deserve to be over the moon! If you and your spouse want to share this with people they should feel honoured and privileged to be able to share it with you.

Is it possible to get some distance or put some boundaries around exposure to your mother? She may be concerned about her health, but yours is super important too!

anyplacesafe

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: married

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 11:14:35 AM »

Congratulations on your son! Ugh, yeah, a lot of what you said rings very true.
First of all, you're TTC! How wonderful! How exciting! How stressful!

I thought I couldn't conceive and although my mother knew how devastated I was, when we finally got pregnant her response was "Ohhh noo... ." and then awkward, passive-aggressive silence. Her involvement has cast a dark cloud over every important moment in my life. She even tried to sabotage the birth, putting me and the baby at risk!

What the heck? I am so sorry that happened! Congrats on becoming a mum, in any case, but just what the heckffff. What was her explanation/justification (if one ever came) for how she responded? How did she try and sabotage the birth?

It seems to me that my mom is threatened by the baby and maybe your mom is too? He takes all of my parenting energy and she cannot be prioritized over him. I just don't have any energy left and when she wants me to care for her on a level that isn't appropriate from daughter to mother, I think about my son and how he needs everything I've got. I won't take what is for my son and give it to her. My husband and I joke that she wants to be the only baby... .but I think it's sadly true.
Yeah, I can absolutely see that. How does your husband deal with her? How much time do you spend with her? Re: boundaries, I am really trying to enforce one boundary at the moment. My dad is working away from home, and she is staying with him but doesn't like the house (which certainly doesn't come up to her very very exacting standards of hygiene and cleanliness, but which I managed to arrange for them to stay in for free, via a friend). I feel that the onus is on me to have her to stay, but

1) I have 2 job interviews in the next 2 weeks (the remaining time away) & need time to prepare; I am then going away on a trip, so everything's getting quite tight.
2) I can't commit (explicitly or implicitly) to having her to stay every time my dad works away
3) I resent having to substitute for my dad's absence
4) When she's around, the household revolves around her, invariably.

Urgh. But I feel like I'm being really cruel.
OddOneOut

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 11:26:05 AM »

Excerpt
What the heck? I am so sorry that happened! Congrats on becoming a mum, in any case, but just what the heckffff. What was her explanation/justification (if one ever came) for how she responded?

Thank you! She just said she was shocked and confused. Not sure how that makes sense.

Excerpt
How did she try and sabotage the birth?

On the day of the birth I hadn't slept or eaten for over 24 hours and we were looking at a long and complicated labour. I was in bad shape and nurses were concerned I wouldn't have the energy to push, which is one of the most common risks. After several hours I had an epidural and was told to sleep so I could get some energy for show time. My husb explained all of this to my mother, told her he would keep her informed at every stage, and that she could see me after I'd slept. She came right to the hospital, lied to staff about who she was and told them she had an emergency and had to speak to me that minute. She came in and expected to be entertained. It was like I wasn't in the hospital in labour . We told her I had to sleep, she stormed off in a huff, and I had to proceed knowing my mother was angry at me. Of course, I didn't get a wink of sleep after that, which meant that I would be going into labour with the strength of a wet noodle. It was a super traumatic day and we ended up having to get an emergency c-section.

A few hours after the surgery I was trying to get a little rest with the baby. Mom called reception in a panic. She had an emergency and they had to wake me up immediately to contact her. They told me she was frantic. I called her but she didn't answer her phone! We sat there worrying about what could be more serious than major abdominal surgery and the birth of a child.
She showed up a few hours later in full drama mode. She'd broken up with her boyfriend and the world was coming to an end. Instead of resting or rejoicing in our first moments with our child, we had to listen to her go on about all the weird reasons she decided to break up that day. They were strange reasons indeed (he loved his children more than he loved her, he didn't take her out to restaurants enough, etc.) Her drama had taken up the entire day.
As you might guess, this seemed to only be a fake break up. We're not sure if the whole thing was just a story. She "patched things up" with her boyfriend that night.

All I know is that the birth of my child was one of the most mentally and physically difficult things I've ever had to do. We had put so much into trying to prevent things from going wrong and my mother just flew in there and created instant chaos. If we have a second, we will have to wait until after the birth to let her know. I hate that she'll be angry but, evidently, she'll be angry either way. 

Excerpt
How does your husband deal with her?

He avoids dealing with her as much as possible. Sometimes she tries to triangulate with him and he will not participate. He tries not to interact with her when I'm not around. He gives me a lot of support and validation after we observe an episode together. It's been therapeutic having someone there who sees what's going on and doesn't mind talking about it. Also, because of past experience, I don't allow any negative talk from my mother about him.

How is your spouse managing in the situation? Does she have any experience with PDs?

Excerpt
How much time do you spend with her?

We see her about once or twice a month and we try to make sure there are lots of boundaries to minimize our stress (ex: that it's easy to leave and we leave if we're uncomfortable, that visits are short, that we're not visiting past nap/bedtime or otherwise sabotaging the baby's wellbeing etc.)

Excerpt
Re: boundaries, I am really trying to enforce one boundary at the moment. My dad is working away from home, and she is staying with him but doesn't like the house (which certainly doesn't come up to her very very exacting standards of hygiene and cleanliness, but which I managed to arrange for them to stay in for free, via a friend). I feel that the onus is on me to have her to stay,

Wow! You arranged for them to live in a house for free? You are a miracle worker! That is amazing and way above and beyond what you need to do for your parents. Do you think the parent/child roles might be a little reversed and that you're finding yourself responsible for them in ways that maybe parents are responsible for their children?

What's worse is that even though you've done something extraordinary for them, your mother is unhappy and demanding more?

You feel the onus is on you... .once again, I'm wondering if this is because of being made parent to your parents. Your mom is a grown ass woman who doesn't even have to be responsible for her own living arrangements. Her busy daughter is doing it for her. The least she can do is take the tiny bit of responsibility of staying in the place you've arranged for her.

Excerpt
but

1) I have 2 job interviews in the next 2 weeks (the remaining time away) & need time to prepare; I am then going away on a trip, so everything's getting quite tight.
2) I can't commit (explicitly or implicitly) to having her to stay every time my dad works away
3) I resent having to substitute for my dad's absence
4) When she's around, the household revolves around her, invariably.

1. You need to set some time aside to prepare for your interviews. Make it clear you won't be engaging with her during that time (tell her you won't be answering the door or your phone to anyone if necessary), and promise yourself and your future little family that you will stick to it. Your parents HAD their time. They had their youth, they had their kids, they've lived their lives. Now it's time for YOU!

2. You can't and you shouldn't have to commit to having her stay with you. She's imposing, you have a spouse, it's inappropriate, and I hope the time comes that you can sleep comfortably knowing you've already gone way above and beyond for your parents. She's an adult and fully capable of making her own home. You've given her lots to work with.

3. There's a lot about this in books... .about PD parents making their children their substitute partners. I can relate to this. It's inappropriate and it's not your job. As an adult she can and should seek the support and connection she needs from her partner and/or friends. Also, you have your own responsibilities toward your own partner. It's much better for you if you can save your relationship energy for her 

4. Ugh... .I hear you... it's like emotional vampirism. My mother is the same and I'm telling you... .once we had our child it became a lot more difficult to tolerate. Trying to meet the intense needs of the baby while meeting my mother's intense needs for attention would leave us absolutely exhausted. We would burn right out. Now is a good time to start nipping this in the bud!

Excerpt
Urgh. But I feel like I'm being really cruel.

You're obviously a very sweet and empathic person.

I think I grew up thinking my mom is a victim and needs taking care of. Maybe your mom has trained you to think this way about her too? In moments of weakness I try to remind myself that she's an adult and my parent and what she's asking from me is the care she doesn't even provide her own daughter. There may come a point when you're a new mom and you'll find you need all of your energy for your actual child and your spouse. You'll see the contrast between the helpless baby in your arms and the capable adult woman your mother is and you just won't be able to take care for her in that way anymore.

Good luck in your job interviews and have a fantastic and restful vacation!

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest