Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 17, 2024, 05:42:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My issues, or some of them...  (Read 615 times)
Grey Kitty

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2015, 09:11:38 AM »

What I'm dealing with right now is the little voice in my brain telling me I'm being selfish for wanting this, and mean to him for doing it.  My h deals with jealously a lot... .as in being jealous of me for doing things he doesn't have the balls to do... .and I am already anticipating this reaction, "You're just doing this for yourself and you don't care about me.

First off... .your husband is mentally disordered, and has very poor emotional regulation / emotional intelligence. (Yes, that is an understatement). So as a consequence, if he tells you something like "You are being selfish", be VERY skeptical about what he says. Don't challenge him verbally--that is invalidating, and you know that.

But don't believe him either--ask yourself if it is completely true, completely false, or someplace inbetween.

In addition... .I italicized two statements you expect to hear from your husband. Both of those are statements about what you are thinking or feeling, or what your motivations are. He's not a mind reader. If those thoughts exist in your head and are motivating you, they are YOUR thoughts, not HIS thoughts. My recommendation is to NEVER believe anything like this from him. [Aside: this kind of thing from my wife was triggering and pissed me off royally. I implemented firm boundaries that I would not participate in conversations where I was told what I was thinking or feeling.]

May I ask... .were you criticized for being selfish a lot as a kid? Especially in cases where the person accusing you was trying to control you, which is what this sounds like to me.

Excerpt
And I think he's suspicious of me right now.  When I got up this morning, my new phone had been gone through.  I don't have any lock on it or anything, and I've been pretty relaxed about letting him look at what he wants on it.  But I'm getting the impression he is nervous that I've got some beau lined up to run off with this summer.  I have nothing to hide, so I'm thinking being open is the best way to deal with his suspicions.

I'm going to disagree with you about this... .with the caveat that choosing your battles is a good idea, and that giving in on this one, and standing firm on the place to stay this summer sounds good to me... .but here's my take:

He's suspicious mostly because of his own self-doubt and self-hatred. He probably doesn't believe at his core that he is lovable, or that anybody would want to be with him. This leads him to 'natural conclusions' ... .If you say you love him,  you are lying ('cuz he's not lovable)... .You only stick around 'cuz you aren't strong enough to get away, or haven't met other guys to cheat on him with... .You would jump at the chance to get away, and he's got to stop you / manipulate you / control you to keep you. etc. etc. etc. Most likely he isn't even aware of this stuff going on (!)

Anyhow... .given that... .being open won't fill that void inside him, so it won't protect you from his dysregulation or jealousy.

To make things worse... .from his world-view, where those things I mentioned are unquestioned facts, he could easily find something on your phone... .and twist it to match... .and use it as a trigger to blow up at you.

Related impertinent question: I've seen you sign off several topics with "Gotta go" where it sounded like you had things to type you hadn't got 'round to yet. Here is the conclusion I've jumped to... .Do you find yourself having trouble getting some time with enough privacy to post here? Are you afraid of him seeing you spending time on a computer typing something that is private and not his business and getting caught doing it, and facing a dysregulation / rage over it?

Excerpt
I think the change has come about because he now recognizes that I am in control of my body and what I do with it, and he has no say.  My body, my choices.  Take it or leave it.  It's worked for me.  The sex is much better (still not fabulous, his hang ups will always be there, but much more satisfying than in the past).

Doing the right thing (click to insert in post) Having boundaries like that is fantastic.

The part I like the best is that once you realized that you had boundaries and could protect yourself... .you found space to be a lot more giving and generous than you had been. I'm very glad to hear that things are going better.

Excerpt
I'm having a hard time with all this, right now.  I don't want to be selfish.  I don't want to put him through undue pain.  Because he is on his best behaviour right now, he is attempting to set the stage to say, 'there's no reason to leave, we are great together, and you are just being a b___ for doing this.' ... .wait a minute... .isn't this him manipulating me?

I have no doubt he is trying to manipulate you. I strongly recommend you enforce boundaries and refuse to allow this to work. That doesn't justify you trying to manipulate him. There is too much truth in this joke... .

Excerpt
Don't let them drag you down to their level in a fight. They will fight you there... .then beat you with experience!  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

As for whether you are being manipulative or not... .YOU KNOW. Trust yourself and believe in yourself. (FYI, one technique he might use to manipulate you is accusing you of manipulating him. Don't take such things from him at face value  )

I cautioned you about it originally because your motivation wasn't clear from a sentence or two in your prior post. You could take the same action for a variety of reasons... .and while the action would be the same, I would call it healthy in some cases and unhealthy in others... .if that makes any sense to you.

Excerpt
Funny you should mention that, son and I were teaching him to text last night.  He drew pics with the different symbols... .started with a simple smiley face, then a zombie cat, then a lady's body.  Son commented that he was learning quick, he responded with, "I've got an ulterior motive."  Then he bounced his eyebrows up and down when he looked at me... .you men, ya'all think alike!    It would certainly be a new experience, for both of us.   Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

Have fun with this one--Google how to sext / flirt over text with a guy... .when you have quiet time in your apartment by the water some evening. Plot and scheme what you can do which will excite and turn him on at that distance... .make the best of it!

You could even be subversive about it... .let on how excited and happy you would be if he did some other things for you... .in as positive way as you can. (The backrubs sound great... .perhaps you can come up with a way to increase the range of offerings that make you feel loved and aroused he has to choose from.)

This kind of stuff I'm suggesting here... .there is a very subtle line between being manipulative... .and presenting choices or options for him in a way that he can be receptive to them. Trust yourself to find that line and stay on the right side of it. If you notice you had a misstep and half your left foot came down on the wrong side of the line, learn from it, and do better next time.
Crumbling

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2015, 10:16:25 AM »

Both of those are statements about what you are thinking or feeling, or what your motivations are. He's not a mind reader. If those thoughts exist in your head and are motivating you, they are YOUR thoughts, not HIS thoughts. My recommendation is to NEVER believe anything like this from him. [Aside: this kind of thing from my wife was triggering and pissed me off royally. I implemented firm boundaries that I would not participate in conversations where I was told what I was thinking or feeling.]

Good observation.  We've had discussions about this, but no boundaries were set.  I am prepared to take this stand if need be.  Thanks for the reminder to be alert for this.

May I ask... .were you criticized for being selfish a lot as a kid? Especially in cases where the person accusing you was trying to control you, which is what this sounds like to me.

I have a hard time remembering way back as a kid, and evaluating what went on.  T said my childhood trauma is the cause of it.  I do remember being called a selfish brat at times, and feeling really guilty for it.  My mom is a big old giver.  She is always giving stuff to people (both things and her time) all the time, and thinks of herself only when necessary.  She almost died one Christmas eve on our living room sofa, about a dozen years ago or so.  We were all stuffing our faces with all sorts of yummy treats over the holidays, and it put her into a diabetic coma.  We had known for almost a year at that point that she was diabetic, but she had done NOTHING to deal with it.  After this incident, she realized she had no choice but to do something about it.

being open won't fill that void inside him, so it won't protect you from his dysregulation or jealousy.

To make things worse... .from his world-view, where those things I mentioned are unquestioned facts, he could easily find something on your phone... .and twist it to match... .and use it as a trigger to blow up at you.

I actually brought this up, because I have no real idea how to deal with this.  You are right, being open wont fill that void, but what would?  Nothing really, right?  So how do I deal with it?  Acceptance? 

Related impertinent question: I've seen you sign off several topics with "Gotta go" where it sounded like you had things to type you hadn't got 'round to yet. Here is the conclusion I've jumped to... .Do you find yourself having trouble getting some time with enough privacy to post here? Are you afraid of him seeing you spending time on a computer typing something that is private and not his business and getting caught doing it, and facing a dysregulation / rage over it?

That's what is happening when I do this, sort of.  There is no privacy here, and the only time I get to be on this site is when he is otherwise preoccupied.  He knows about this site, but doesn't know who I am on it and what I say.  I've been pretty protective of that info, and it's more about my own protection than having to face his dysreg that I run away and cut my posts short.  I've already explained that this is my support group, and I have a right to be here.  He has seen positive results from me participating in the site, so on some level, he is on side.

Grey Kitty

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2015, 01:55:59 PM »

I implemented firm boundaries that I would not participate in conversations where I was told what I was thinking or feeling.

Good observation.  We've had discussions about this, but no boundaries were set.  I am prepared to take this stand if need be.  Thanks for the reminder to be alert for this.

You don't have to announce any boundaries... .all you need to do is not engage on such things. (And that can be hard enough)

Excerpt
being open won't fill that void inside him, so it won't protect you from his dysregulation or jealousy.

I actually brought this up, because I have no real idea how to deal with this.  You are right, being open wont fill that void, but what would?  Nothing really, right?  So how do I deal with it?  Acceptance? 

That's what is happening when I do this, sort of.  There is no privacy here, and the only time I get to be on this site is when he is otherwise preoccupied.  He knows about this site, but doesn't know who I am on it and what I say.  I've been pretty protective of that info, and it's more about my own protection than having to face his dysreg that I run away and cut my posts short.  I've already explained that this is my support group, and I have a right to be here.  He has seen positive results from me participating in the site, so on some level, he is on side.

As I was hinting earlier... .choose your battles. Getting some space and time apart this summer is going to be a big one, so if you put other ones off for later, I see the wisdom in that.

However... .my suggestion... .is that you have a right to some privacy. (And so does he!) Your own phone. Your own computer. Neither of which he has any right to have access to. You also have a responsibility not to do secret things that would harm your husband.

Over the years I was together with my wife, we went from one email address to two email addresses, one phone to two phones, one computer to two computers. Each time we did it, it was somewhat of a struggle, and my wife was scared and resistant to the change. And each time, after we settled into it, we were both more comfortable after.

The tricky part is that there are many things you could do which might trigger him... .but aren't actually harming him. The chances of him having the insight to figure this out are pretty slim. And that makes it complicated.

The phone thing really has me thinking for you... .

You said your phone isn't locked.

You said you believe your husband was snooping through it.

I'm assuming you haven't discussed any of this with him yet.

I see two approaches for you.

1. Figure out phone security settings and lock the phone.

You can pretend you don't know he was looking, and he has the option to pretend he wasn't looking too. (Even 'tho he's gonna be surprised next time he tries and can't get in!)

... .and if he brings something up, he opened the can of worms--Ask him directly what he needs to do with your phone. (Then shut up and watch him squirm)

Note 1: I think this one is best done right now, as the phone is new... .and as you haven't left for the summer yet.

Note 2: I'm assuming that you don't think you have the right to snoop on his phone and see who he's been talking to and texting with, etc.

Note 3: This doesn't mean you should be evasive about it. There isn't anything really wrong with asking something like "Have you talked to your mom recently?" or (upon seeing you fiddling with your phone) "Who are you texting with?" ... .and being able to satisfy curiosity, while you maintain control over the situation is very different than a license to snoop at any and all times, especially when you aren't aware.

2. Start a conversation with him about privacy.

And that will be an interesting one... .If you just lock your phone, you may end up in this conversation anyway!

Crumbling

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2015, 01:41:05 PM »

Yeah, choosing my battles.  I'm not in a place where I'm ready to do any of that other stuff.

My husband has gone from trying really hard to prove he's perfect to proving he isn't perfect to hating me in the run of two days.  Not sure which was is forward anymore.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest