Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 15, 2024, 07:25:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: shame and guilt  (Read 354 times)
SlyQQ

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: January 17, 2015, 10:51:29 PM »

Shame

Shame is the feeling that one is defective or not enough. It is the belief that one is wrong. The underlying fear is being left behind, excluded, or abandoned. Unlike guilt, shame does not immediately feel better by acknowledging it. In fact acknowledging it can seem to confirm shame, and so denial and shame are rarely far apart. When shame is internalized, most actions in a relationship are driven in some way to avoid abandonment, or to speed up abandonment. The ongoing possibility of a relationship ending is almost intolerable.

Internalized shame is widely distributed in our culture. Control is the core defense against shame. With other elements present, shame is a strong contributor to coercive control, or primary aggression.

I have always thought BPD rarely feel true guilt over there actions ( because it associates blame with themselves and it is not part of there emotional vocabulary ) but have always knew there was a strong sense of shame I came across this which seems to epitomize this was wopndering if people tend to agree nwith this
ShadowIntheNight

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Other

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 11:15:29 PM »

At 46 my uBPDexgf could be scolded by her mother and reduced to tears. And tho I don't know for sure, it was her mother's words that led to hers and my demise. So she can easily be shamed by her mother at least. But she is also Catholic, so I know for a fact she feels guilt because regardless about what people may think, she does know the difference between right and wrong. It's just that she feels it doesn't matter if it gets in the way of what she wants.

I was even going to add unless it's illegal, but I have a memory now that even that doesn't matter. We were having lunch somewhere and she told me of how when she and her friends were teens they liked to steal drinking glasses from this particular eatery we were enjoying. She decided she was going to "take" one. I told her let's just buy it, it's probably like $4. She insisted she had to "take" it, that the restaurant expected them to be "taken." At that point we had been together almost 9 yrs. She had never exhibited THAT type of behavior ever. So apparently stealing didn't make her feel guilty. And I've never understood her behavior for that. Matter of fact, I'm going to try and remember to bring it up to my therapist this week.
SlyQQ

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 11:22:24 PM »

I think There is a difference between knowing what is regaded as right an wrong on an external level ( weighing the repercussions ) an an internal level ( guilt remorse wont do it again ) 
HowCouldYou

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 11:37:34 PM »

I agree with your comments on shame SLyQQ. I'll add that guilt can help prevent repeating bad or unhealthy behaviors in "healthy" people, but they don't seem to experience it, and feel shame instead. BPD shame is often "reduced" at least temporarily by acting out or in, in an addictive manner. Of course the addictive cycle is in play and shame is ultimately increased as a result.

Shadow, my wife is older than your's and still cries when her father is even slightly critical or invalidating of her.

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest