Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 16, 2024, 07:22:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Validation not working  (Read 435 times)
Dibdob59

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: July 07, 2017, 12:46:50 AM »

Hi

Long post - sorry.

I have been on this board before and am currently struggling to communicate again with my adult BPDS 33.

My BPDS has an 8 year old son who has been exhibiting some behavioural difficulties for many years. I suspect my GS has Aspergers or is on the Autism spectrum but he has never been diagnosed. He is a very bright, kind, loving, articulate boy but likes to question others (including adults and teachers) when things do not make sense to him. He cannot tolerate illogical situations and does not seems to understand other people's emotions. I suspect this is where he is getting himself into trouble at school.

Anyhow I got a text last night from my BPDS saying my GS is in trouble again at school and there is going to be a meeting involving the head teacher, my GS and "someone else". My son was clearly agitated. I asked him if he was the someone else and he said he was not and he did not know who the third person was.

I know that excessive questioning can put pressure on my BPDS but felt concern for my GS who really needs support from the school and not being stigmatised as a "naughty child". I am a teacher myself and have taught many Aspergers children and it is easy for schools to give up on them.

I tried to gently tease further details from my BPDS but he was angry. He said the school is "crap" and his son needs to leave. My GS has been at the school for 4 years and is fairly settled there. My son is no longer with my GS mother and she lives five minutes from the school and does not drive. She will not want my GS to move schools and I can foresee arguments between my BPDs and his ex brewing over this, as blaming each other for my GS problems has happened in the past.

I tried to validate in the text messages. I could not understand why there was an apparent important meeting taking place at the school involving an 8 year old child but no parent. My son kept repeating he would not contact them to find out what was going on as he was too angry and it was better for them that he does not speak to them.

I am frustrated for my poor GS who needs a parent who can support him. I know it sounds judgemental but it's so unfair on my GS. According to the school they have tried to speak to his mother but she ignores the situation, so my son really needs to be there for his little boy.

I told my son that I understood his frustration with the school and agreed that they were not being clear. I asked if there was a special needs coordinator at the school who could give clarificatiin.

My BPDS text reply said I was to stop being so understanding and trying to diffuse the situation. That it was normal for people to kick off when schools do something like this as it is not in his son's best interests. He said he will have something to say about it and my GS needs to leave the school anyway.

I am so exhausted trying to communicate with my BPDS and to be honest I am very sad for my GS who needs a parent in his life to be there for him in this situation. As usual my son made it all about him and it is about a little child who needs his daddy to be there for him

Not slept, hacked off.  Thoughts please?

Thanks
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Lollypop

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 03:18:32 AM »

Hi dibdob

Goodness that's such a worry for you. I can see how difficult this situation is and, for what it's worth, I'd be feeling exactly the same.

My rule about problems in school was to nip them in the bud. If my child came out of school with an issue with a teacher I'd go straight in to talk it through rather than let my child worry overnight. Obviously it's too late for that approach and he's your grandchild, not you son.

Excerpt
Anyhow I got a text last night from my BPDS saying my GS is in trouble again at school and there is going to be a meeting involving the head teacher, my GS and "someone else". My son was clearly agitated. I asked him if he was the someone else and he said he was not and he did not know who the third person was.

It's a bit like Chinese whispers isn't it and so frustrating for you. No wonder your son is agitated but neither of you know the facts. It's so easy to come to the wrong conclusion. It's easily resolved by one of his parents going into school and politely asking. From what you've said GS's mother isn't interested in finding out. Left alone presumably the meeting will take place and it will soon become clearer to you all. .

Excerpt
I tried to gently tease further details from my BPDS but he was angry. He said the school is "crap" and his son needs to leave. My GS has been at the school for 4 years and is fairly settled there. My son is no longer with my GS mother and she lives five minutes from the school and does not drive. She will not want my GS to move schools and I can foresee arguments between my BPDs and his ex brewing over this, as blaming each other for my GS problems has happened in the past.

Your son is trying to protect his son and that's admirable. To be honest, this is their responsibility and beside raising your concerns to both of them I can't see what more you can do. It's easy to foretell the future with doom. Just because your son says he wants to move schools doesn't mean that it will happen. The school staff are used to dealing with conflict and once there's some communication going on things may quickly change.

Excerpt
I tried to validate in the text messages. I could not understand why there was an apparent important meeting taking place at the school involving an 8 year old child but no parent. My son kept repeating he would not contact them to find out what was going on as he was too angry and it was better for them that he does not speak to them.

This sounds like a wise choice by your son. It's not one that you wanted to hear and I can feel your frustration. Remembering where the responsibility lies, your son and his ex will learn from this situation. It's a potential meeting, the problem is that nobody knows what it's about. This will soon become clear and if the school does something in a manner that isn't supportive of your GS then that is a different story. Nothing's happened yet.

Excerpt
I am frustrated for my poor GS who needs a parent who can support him. I know it sounds judgemental but it's so unfair on my GS. According to the school they have tried to speak to his mother but she ignores the situation, so my son really needs to be there for his little boy.

I told my son that I understood his frustration with the school and agreed that they were not being clear. I asked if there was a special needs coordinator at the school who could give clarificatiin

Your GS has a dad that loves him and cares about him. It's not fair that your son has BPD and struggles with these challenges. Your GS is only 8 and there's going to be many more challenges as he grows up. You're doing exactly the right thing by trying to effectively parent your son so he learns from you. It may feel that your son isn't listening but he is, some of it gets through. By demonstrating to your son that you believe he can do this, that your are there to emotionally support him is a wonderful thing. You've given him good advice about the support co-ordinator, hopefully he'll remember.

Excerpt
reply said I was to stop being so understanding and trying to diffuse the situation. That it was normal for people to kick off when schools do something like this as it is not in his son's best interests. He said he will have something to say about it and my GS needs to leave the school anyway.

My DS says a lot of things when he's highly emotional. I take a lot of things with a pinch of salt. Your son wants action, he wants to protect his son, he wants the best for him. It sounds as if he wasn't feeling validating and he may have escalated. It's so very hard to try and reason when my DS is anxious, actually it can't be done. The only time he can listen is when he's calm so I validate and then wait, normally to the following few days. Then I try again.

Of course youre exhausted and feeling sad. Who wouldn't be? It's important to recognise that FOG, fear is my biggest problem. My mind rumbles around like a washing machine and I can leap from one terrible scenario to another. The potential meeting hasn't  happened yet, nobody knows what it's about and it will become clear one way or another, it's important to try and stay in the present if you can.

Hugs to you.  

Please let us know how it goes.

If you can give everybody a hug, particularly your gorgeous GS.  We all are doing our very best, we can all try a little harder.

LP

I did my best. He told me I wasn’t good enough. White
MomMae

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 08:13:15 AM »

Hi Dibdob59,

I am so sorry for the worrisome and frustrating situation that has brought you back to the forum.  I totally understand your concerns and can imagine how you are feeling.  I know I just would not be able to sit quietly back and not at least try to advocate for my grandchild were I in the same position.  You are doing an excellent job of voicing your concerns while validating all concerned parties without escalating the situation.

Excerpt
I know that excessive questioning can put pressure on my BPDS but felt concern for my GS who really needs support from the school and not being stigmatised as a "naughty child". I am a teacher myself and have taught many Aspergers children and it is easy for schools to give up on them.

You would be the perfect advocate for your grandson in this situation.  Being a teacher, you understand the system and have an abundance of experience with children.  Above all you love your grandson and would ensure that the decisions being made are the ones that are the best for HIM.  In my opinion, and I am sure yours, there is no way that a meeting regarding your grandson should be taking place without a family advocate being there for him!  Is there any way that you could gently persuade your son to allow you to be that advocate for your GS?  Or to accompany him (your son) to the meeting - it would be scary for a pwBPD to attend such a meeting.  Not to take over the parenting role, but to at least be there as a set of ears to hear what is being said and decided, as well as an informed participant. I truly hope that your son and the child's mother will allow this.  It tears at my sole to think of any child being in that position all alone... .I can't imagine how it feels when it is your beloved grandchild.

Excerpt
I am so exhausted trying to communicate with my BPDS and to be honest I am very sad for my GS who needs a parent in his life to be there for him in this situation. As usual my son made it all about him and it is about a little child who needs his daddy to be there for him

I understand the total exhaustion of trying to communicate and reason with an adult child with BPD.  I truly hope that your son will allow you to be there for his child.

MomMae

Dibdob59

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 12:48:07 PM »

Thank you Lollypop and MomMae

You have both taken the time to send me helpful and considered replies. You also validated me, something I give but don't often receive. It made me feel heard but not judged.

BPD breaks my heart every day. I struggle to shed the feeling that the other shoe is always about to drop and my screaming 'why' at the heavens just gives me a sore throat and scares the ducks on our isolated stretch of water!

Sometimes I find it all so overwhelming. It never ends and I struggle to cling on to hope when I see yet another generation being affected with some supposed problems. What if it's not Aspergers but BPD?

As you say Lollypop, I must be present as I don't know what will happen and, like you, my mind runs away with horror stories.

MomMae, although I really want to be an advocate for my GS the 'I must stop fixing' part of me feels the need to step back and allow my son to parent fully. I hope he can stay calm enough to do this. I want no more than for them than to have peace in their lives.

Thank you both very much.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest