Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 20, 2024, 09:38:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to know when to leave the marriage  (Read 446 times)
flameofnd
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: August 13, 2018, 07:59:56 PM »

I'm separated from my husband of 34 years. I believe he has high functioning BPD, he has been jealous our whole marriage of my family, and has accused me of many affairs. I left him a month ago, after he left black and blue finger prints on my arms. He know I wanted to leave so a 2 hour visit to my sister set him off. After all these years he know knows he has a problem. And is getting help. He is a good man if he could keep under control.

My question is how do I know if the relationship is over, he promises everything he will keep going to therapy and  be on medication for the rest of his life.  I have been gone a month and I don't miss him. How do I know if the relationship is over for me. We talk everyday a few times a day, I have had to set a limit of only 4 phone calls a day.
pearlsw

"Be kind whenever possible, it is always possible"

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 08:57:07 PM »

Hi flameofnd,

Welcome

Sorry you are experiencing uncertainty in your relationship!

There is a very supportive community here who can help you on your journey and you work through these issues!

It is not always easy to know. All relationships are different, unique to us and our partners. That said, how do you feel about it? Are you leaning towards getting back together or starting to see you prefer to be apart?

Would you ever feel safe again after this incident where he left fingerprints on your arm?

How does it go when you talk with him? If he continues to get help does that make any difference in your interest level in the relationship? Do you feel love for him?

wishing you peace, pearl.

Walk on a rainbow trail, walk on a trail of song, and all about you will be beauty. There is a way out of every dark mist, over a rainbow trail. - Navajo Song
RolandOfEld

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 10:41:43 PM »

Hi flameofnd, joining pearlsw in welcoming you! I'm in a very conflicted place myself with my partner of 11 years and understand your feelings.

Seconding pearls that that the physical violence issue is one to consider very deeply.

It is wonderful he has realized his problem and is getting help. I think it's less a question of asking whether the relationship is over and more about examining at this point what you can and cannot accept.

A helpful question to ask yourself getting started would be, even if he was 100% cured tomorrow, would you be able to move past what has already happened? Or, if its likely he will be unhealthy in some form of another for the rest of his life, could you accept that?

Sending you strength,
RolandOfEld

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 07:47:25 AM »

Roland and pearl have added some important thoughts about questioning your own feelings about this relationship.

You know that he's a good man but you've seen patterns throughout your marriage that have been troubling. At a month away from him, you don't miss him and wonder if his promises to continue with therapy and medication will be enough for you to want to remain in the marriage.

How are the phone conversations going? And that you've had to set a limit on how many times he calls--are you feeling overwhelmed by him and would you prefer to have some days when you don't speak with him?

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest