Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 17, 2024, 01:56:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where I get stuck--  (Read 406 times)
HoneyB33

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: June 23, 2016, 08:15:26 PM »

I wanted to start a thread in light of where I am struggling the most. I was just reading someone's thread about how they are so frustrated by how long it's taking them to heal, and I feel much like them. But I found the reason I felt that way was pretty different. So the question: Why am I stuck?

I'm stuck because I lost myself in this. I drank the poison of their projections, along with their discard of me, and totally came crashing down in my beliefs about myself. I feel like I lost my entire sense of self-worth. So while I'm in this place of learning my self-worth at a much deeper level, I also feel like I can't get it back. I use to be pretty confident about my beliefs, how I feel, etc... .But this totally felt like it robbed me of that.

I guess you could say that I am stuck the most because I keep believing these lies about myself, and keep thinking I did something wrong. Learning that BPD ppl project and believe things when they paint you black, that are not true, has really helped. But I guess that poison is in deep now.

I feel stuck because of what my ex did to me. I was so vulnerable and in need, and she shoved me off a cliff. And then tried to make me believe I deserved it. I have never met something so cruel. In a way, I even believed these things deeper about myself because of how she acted. Like she was SO cut off from me, I thought the only way that could possibly be true is if I had truly done something so terrible.

So why am I stuck? I'm stuck because of the cruelty of this person. When I literally could have just walked away and moved on, she brought a nightmare into my life. Why am I stuck? Because she made me feel wrong for needing anything for myself. Because she shoved me into believing that I had done something horrible, and deserved what was happening to me.

And I'm stuck the most because I am still struggling to believe in myself. It's like I don't know if I am to go up into believing in myself more, or "down" into something I was "wrong" for. And I feel so lost on this in-between. Not knowing if I did something wrong, or if I need to be stronger against ppl telling me I did something wrong. And I guess what bothers me the most now, is that I can't get myself out from these accusations. I am more and more every day. But I'm stuck the most because I can't seem to gain clarity enough about myself, if that makes sense.

Lilyroze

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 11:07:53 PM »

The act of healing will look different for each of us. There is no need to rush—nor a clear timetable for traveling through the unique terrain of hurt, loss, or healing. A traumatic life event, or deep heartbreak or living with the raging and hurt of BPD's are all wounds that have the potential never to leave us. The scars remain to remind us of what we’ve felt, whom we’ve loved, and how we’ve grown. They become part of the fabric of our lives.

Knowing this though you can now realize you are special, unique and didn't deserve that treatment. No longer accepting it can put you on the road to healing, loving yourself, recovery and putting energy and time into you.

Your goals, and the things that can help you accomplish them

Have you anything special planned or things you would like to do now?
steelwork

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 07:55:24 AM »

I think I understand. This is not something is I experienced in my r/s so much but more after. (Because Mr. Hyde didn't come out until after.)

Here is a thumbnail of what happened with me, which may not seem relevant, but bear with me.

Not to get too far into it, my ex waited for me to leave someone else, and I took too long. He knew I was with someone else when we got together, and that leaving the other person would not be easy, and I'd never made him any promises. He had every right and reason to move on, but instead he clung to me and hid his anger until he'd secretly lined up someone else, and then dumped me suddenly and with maximum venom. I have always felt I was a compassionate person (and in fact it was one of the things he said he loved about me), but after he dumped me he let me know he "saw me for what I was" and that I'd been letting him dangle for two and a half years. He wasn't making up the broader facts, but he was distorting them, and also not making any attempt to understand my point of view. (I won't bore you with my point of view.) B

His feeling of victimhood was real, magnified by abandonment fears, and I was primed to take on all the blame and guilt. I was devastated about losing him, and I thought everything was my fault and I was a horrible person. Before I met him, I'd thought of myself as a good person, and yet here I was with my life in runs, and I had hurt two people I cared about, and it just absolutely unmoored me. Who WAS I? I could not figure out which way was up, for the better part of a year. I just kept bouncing between self-loathing and feeling victimized.

I'm not a religious person, but I think there is a lot to "Love your neighbor as yourself." The wisdom of this is not just about how you love other people, but also about how you love yourself. To be a good person in the world, you have to start with yourself. I am working hard on this. I've had to work really hard to understand how I got in a situation where I was stuck between two men. I almost understand now. I can start forgiving myself and doing better in the world.

Thanks for bearing with me.

I'm not saying you did anything wrong. But all it takes is a kernel of truth, and that's enough to make it hard to see which way is up. It's a sore, vulnerable spot, a wound that won't heal on its own.

I guess you could say that I am stuck the most because I keep believing these lies about myself, and keep thinking I did something wrong.

So I ask, what are the lies you're believing?

Is there any truth to them? Even a tiny, distorted kernel of truth?

Can you forgive yourself for that tiny kernel?

Excerpt
I feel stuck because of what my ex did to me. I was so vulnerable and in need, and she shoved me off a cliff. And then tried to make me believe I deserved it. I have never met something so cruel. In a way, I even believed these things deeper about myself because of how she acted. Like she was SO cut off from me, I thought the only way that could possibly be true is if I had truly done something so terrible.

The thing she made you believe about yourself was that you were too needy? Is that it?

Is it wrong to rely on the person you love?

Can you think of any reason you might feel a kernel of shame about that?

I am just spitballing. Because I think if you are stuck with what feel like false beliefs, you have to dig into what you brought to the relationship that made you vulnerable to those false beliefs.

Does that even make sense?
kc sunshine

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 08:24:03 AM »

This is an amazingly helpful thread-- thank you all

seenr

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2016, 11:22:38 AM »

Getting stuck because you lost yourself is extremely hard to understand. Two years in to my relationship with my ex I was dazed, wondering who I was and what the hell happened.

I know how you feel and it can be crippling to lose the other person and yourself.
vortex of confusion

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 11:56:40 AM »

I don't have any words of wisdom. I wanted to chime in and say "me too!" I feel like I am stuck. When I do feel like I have made progress, it seems like I am moving at a snail's pass.

I have been on these boards for almost 2 years and don't feel like I have made that much progress. I can look back and see that I have made a lot of progress. I finally worked up the nerve to kick him out. It got a second job and my own bank account. I am so ready for all of this to be over and done.

I am still looking for any nuggets of wisdom I can get to help me along in my journey! Thanks for this thread.
seenr

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 12:22:05 PM »

On the topic of being stuck I have no plans for tonight or tomorrow and may not meet anyone for the next 24 hours but I am learning that is OK.

I went to the gym today, am watching some sport and just feel content.

I think back to before the exwBPD and I would have been out partying. The plus side is these days I am fitter, look healthier and probably more attractive.

Stuck, but every cloud has a silver lining :-)
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest