Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 13, 2024, 02:13:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Things I couldn't have known
Emotional Blackmail: Fear, Obligation and Guilt (FOG)
Am I the Cause of Borderline Personality Disorder?
Escaping Conflict and the Karpman Drama Triangle
I think it's Borderline Personality Disorder, but how can I know?
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to tell other people?  (Read 382 times)
bpdexhausted

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« on: August 16, 2017, 09:09:49 PM »

My close friends are very aware of my tricky relationship with my BPD daughter however because I am also a grandmother (she has 2 children) work colleagues and/or acquaintances will often ask me how my daughter is. I don't want to go into the details and I also have a lot of shame around how things are but I get stumped in knowing how to answer this question. I feel I need a reasonably honest but safe way to respond without feeling tongue tied. I wonder if other parents out there have found a way to respond without dredging up the drama each & every time. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks. BPDexhausted
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
Lollypop

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 07:36:53 AM »

Hi

I once asked somebody about their son, this was years ago. Her son had been expelled and was an absolute nightmare for her. She looked me straight in the eye and said quietly "Thanks for asking but I'd much rather not talk about him right now."

I didn't ask again but I didn't take offense either.

Hope this helps

LP

I did my best. He told me I wasn’t good enough. White
Huat

Relationship status: Estranged

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 01:21:38 PM »

Hello and welcome BPdexhausted:

I, too, am the mother of a (undiagosed-but-highly-probably) BPD daughter... .and grandmother to her two (now adult) children.

Because of the position I held for so many years in our small community, I have been very recognizable. In a small community there are very few "secrets."  Our daughter started acting out when she was 12 and I was shamed/embarrassed for way too many years.  Those feelings held me hostage and threw me into the role of victim.  I'm not a victim!  I happen to be the mother of challenging child.

There is no shame in knowing that you have always done the best you could in raising your daughter.  Our nurturing and their nature combine to bring about different variations in our children.  Even though she may suffer from BPD... .and even though you have tried at times to re-direct her... .she alone has been the one in control of her choices... .not you.  If there is any shame to be had, it is on her shoulders... .not yours.

So, unless those kinds of questions are coming from dear friends who you know are truly wanting to acknowledge your situation and are wanting to offer their encouragement/support,  the only answer you need give to the others is something like, "Life is a work in progress!"... .then change the subject.  You have been polite but dismissive.
bpdexhausted

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 11:01:51 PM »

thanks for your ideas. I like the "work in progress"... .might have to use that one. thanks again
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest