Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 21, 2024, 01:01:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: dBPDw begins playing games again...  (Read 378 times)
Mr. Solo

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: Married for 18 years. Separated for 1.

« on: October 28, 2014, 08:46:40 PM »

... .we have been getting along fine. Tonight she texts me and asks me to buy three pumpkins and a carving kit so our three kids could carve pumpkins with "the neighbors." I told her I didn't want to do that because I planned on all of us carving pumpkins together (I can't go where she lives because the neighbors (her friends) are protecting her from me. Yeah right! LOL!). Obviously she was going to be there with them carving but she told me she really didn't care to carve with them and she wouldn't want to carve with me and the kids either. She then said we really never carved pumpkins anyways. NONE OF THAT IS TRUE! It seems like a minor issue but it is how she eventually turns something she knows would offend me into me being the problem for being offended. In addition, she moves the goalposts. If I had tried this, she would've been pissed and been in bed for days because I didn't include her in a special time. But, for this to be done to me, it is okay. I am being too sensitive. It is maddening! I know she knows better but she is able to act like she didn't do a thing. Anyways, she then tells me she just wants to go get their costumes (again, saying carving pumpkins meant nothing to her). Earlier in the conversation, she scolded me for waiting this late when Halloween is Friday. So, I probably made a mistake here, but I told her I was going to get the kids after school tomorrow and take them to get their pumpkins and their costumes because, after all, I have waited entirely too late. I said this knowing she was busy after school tomorrow and couldn't go. I guess that is stooping to her level but, MY GOD! So, she got very angry. After a bit, as always, I apologized for saying I would take the kids to get costumes without her and I was wrong for saying that. Of course, she stops answering/reading texts at that point. It is always so convenient how she puts her phone down or it goes dead just at the right moment to drag everything out. She ALWAYS has her phone. She knows I know this. As I said, she conveniently stops reading texts when the drama is going to be minimized. It is like she wants to punish me by making me wonder when/if she is going to reply. She stopped responding around 6:30pm and just now, at 9:35pm, texted me to say she left her phone outside. I know better. I don't know if I should reply immediately or not? I want to give her a taste of her own medicine (because she needs to use my car tomorrow) and make her sweat it out. But I know that's probably childish. LOL. I guess I will be the bigger person but it really gets OLD. I am always the one to give in. I have to always be the one to say I am sorry first. My prediction is, she went out and bought pumpkins and carved them with the kids and the neighbors despite using the excuse she just didn't want to and she will say she HAD to because I didn't want to get the kids pumpkins to carve tonight. Reality is, she wanted to do it without me all along and this was her way of making sure that happened because it gave her a reason (being angry) to do it without me. I know this sounds crazy and paranoid but it has happened so many times. She will still claim I was being ridiculous. She will act like she did nothing wrong.
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Rapt Reader
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child
Relationship status: married

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 01:38:16 PM »

Hello, Mr. Solo... .I'm really sorry that all of that drama had to happen; how did it end up? Did you ever get to work out the Halloween details? Did the kids already carve their pumpkins and get their costumes? Were you able to go along?

Sometimes the petty back and forth can really complicate things; though it's lousy when we have to be the adult in the relationship and stop the pettiness on our own end, doing that can sometimes calm things down or even nip them in the bud. Have you ever checked out the links to the right-hand side of this page? Have you ever tried the communication tools and techniques mentioned and explained in the The Lessons link to the right?

I really hope you are able to work out Halloween so that it is fun and satisfying for you, your kids, and even your (Ex?) wife 

Mr. Solo

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic Partner
Relationship status: Married for 18 years. Separated for 1.

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 02:52:42 PM »

Hello, Mr. Solo... .I'm really sorry that all of that drama had to happen; how did it end up? Did you ever get to work out the Halloween details? Did the kids already carve their pumpkins and get their costumes? Were you able to go along?

Sometimes the petty back and forth can really complicate things; though it's lousy when we have to be the adult in the relationship and stop the pettiness on our own end, doing that can sometimes calm things down or even nip them in the bud. Have you ever checked out the links to the right-hand side of this page? Have you ever tried the communication tools and techniques mentioned and explained in the The Lessons link to the right?

I really hope you are able to work out Halloween so that it is fun and satisfying for you, your kids, and even your (Ex?) wife 

Today she is acting like nothing ever happened. I do not know if they carved pumpkins or not because any question I ask in regards to last night goes unanswered. The only thing she has said is she wants to go with us to get their costumes. I told her she could. Not answering questions is a favorite way of hers to ignore things that happened. She wrongs me, I speak up, she acts like it never happened, nothing is resolved, and the next time she will do the same type of thing. In fact, this is how she pretty much works. She is as vague as she can be about things and, in my opinion, it is on purpose so if she begins to get painted in a corner, she can wiggle out through some loophole she left open. If she cannot do that she just moves the goalposts. She is very good at maintaining the status quo without having to answer for anything.

I have checked the links and read as much as I could. I am trying to use the tools. The problem is, she has read up on a lot of things too. In addition, I am a social worker who has worked with people with personality disorders in mental hospitals so I have some training. But, because she knows this, any time she thinks I am using "tools" she gets mad, tells me to stop using psychology on her, and shuts down.

It is painful to deal with but she is very good at protecting herself with vagueness, generalities, omissions, etc., so that allows her to wiggle out of things and never have to deal with it. I honestly have a hard time explaining what she does and how she does it. All I know is it seems like a mechanism she uses to escape facing responsibility for anything and everything. If she gets busted then she uses the, "I don't remember," excuse. It is also very difficult for me to deal with because I am on the autism scale (Asperger's). That means I have an excellent memory, can spot patterns and inconsistencies others cannot, and, therefore, have great intuition about things that happen "below the surface." This is a huge problem for her and I think this is why she has learned to be vague or just say she doesn't remember.

She isn't my ex... .yet. LOL. We have been separated since July 15, 2013. I want to work things out but, as I said, I am getting really, really tired. I love her to death but I am starting to wonder if enough is enough. I have been through 4.5 years of pure HELL!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest