Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 14, 2024, 10:01:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Always accepting fault - helpful or hurtful ?  (Read 372 times)
LittleBrownBear
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Bisexual
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« on: February 11, 2020, 10:06:59 PM »

I’ve written and deleted this a dozen times...

I need help. Should I always be taking responsibility for an argument? If I’m hurt by something he’s done I’m “painting a negative image” of him, & if he’s hurt by something I’ve done he insistently points out how he was the first one set off & I should take responsibility for it.

Whether an argument is my “fault” or his, he always expects me to apologize. THEN in times when I do swallow my pride & apologize (like tonight) he says it’s not good enough bc he knows that I’m only doing it bc he wants me to.

I’m just feeling confused and hurt and very frustrated. I’m an incredibly peaceful person but  I don’t know how much longer I can take this. I will say - It *is* hard for me in general to accept fault bc it’s hard for me to look at the fact that I may have hurt someone I love; BUT it feels very counterproductive to just let him blow things out of proportion then expect me to clean it up as if I’ve done it?

I’m looking to you to ask what you’ve learned has been the most helpful thing to do in situations like this...from a “health of the relationship” and also “taking care of his  BPD” standpoint. Do I always take fault or stay adamant when I know I’m not in the wrong.

I hope this all makes sense! Thanks for bearing with me
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Gemsforeyes

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Ended 2/2020

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 10:56:57 PM »

Hey Little BB-

Welcome to our community.  It’s a conundrum.  In my opinion, Part of the solution can depend on whether he’s diagnosed or not, and what he understands about BPD if he IS diagnosed; his level of self-awareness, and whether he can sit down and discuss things openly when he’s NOT in a dysregulated state.

Can you give an example of an argument?  Perhaps a she said / he said?

Sometimes we can validate the “feelings” without apologizing for things we have not “done”.

There are communication tools that can help beyond measure - the first I would look at is learning NOT to JADE (Justify, Argue, Defend, Explain); and the second is Validation.  For these Tools, look above under Tools, Workshops and scroll down.

In general, it’s not a good practice to apologize for things you have NOT done... sets a bad precedent.

Your thoughts?

Warmly,
Gemsforeyes
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest