Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 20, 2024, 03:36:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any suggestions on daily work for myself?  (Read 435 times)
Vols4555

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: September 21, 2018, 10:57:01 AM »

Paragraph header  (click to insert in post)

It is a constant cycle with me... .I start reading my literature and feel better about myself and that I can survive her behavior (primarily for
My Kids) and then I stop reading and get comfortable and want to leave bc she is irrational, can’t control her emotions, won’t change and it feels
Hopeless.

I tried to have a conversation this week about chores... .in hopes of trending to more vital topics to our marriage in my eyes and she literally gaslighted the entire conversation for 2 hours and we accomplished nothing and basically she said she is refusing to try anything new (even with me saying we will get divorced if we can’t change).

But back on topic... .is there any daily work that y’all put in that helps you stay level and on top of the situation. I will still mess up even if I do daily work but at least it will improve my odds!
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 03:18:02 PM »

then I stop reading and get comfortable and want to leave bc she is irrational, can’t control her emotions, won’t change and it feels
Hopeless.

first and foremost, stick with your support group. make it a major part of your lifestyle. dont halfway commit if you want to solve major obstacles.

second, interact with the support group. respond to others. youd be amazed at how working with others can help you see yourself, and help keep you in problem solving mode.

third, if you arent, see a therapist and make a strong commitment there. in my mind, its a critical component of support and staying centered.

what happened in the conversation about chores? how did you approach it? what was said?

as general advice, i would stay clear of linking a discussion of chores to vital topics in your marriage... .thats a connection no one wants to make. its best to approach relationship issues in times of calm... .and over a period of time. dont hit everything at once, and try to stretch each topic over a period of days so each of you have time to reflect, and in particular, do a whole lot of just listening.

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Vols4555

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 08:33:52 PM »

I outlined all the chores and made a rating system so we could assign tasks to each other.  I guess I approached it kind of aggressively bc I felt like my life has become unmanageable and I feel like she doesn’t take me seriously or gaslights if I don’t convey the importance to me.  Her addiction/escape is horses so her family and our house falls by the wayside from time to time (I work full time and she is a housewife).  I wanted to work up to scaling back on horses so we could spend more time together (hence starting with chores bc as you can tell, less horses is going to be difficult).

In typing all this out, I can see that my thought process was probably not a good way in talking to someone with BPD.
Harri
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 11:58:21 PM »

Hi Vols.

It is okay if you started a bit too strong.  it happens.  Slow it down though.  We have an article that I think may help in terms of expectations of yourself and for your wife: What Does it Take to Be in a Relationship

Interacting with a person with mental illness often involves doing the opposite of what makes sense to us.  Learning about the disorder and what drives the beahviors can help you make better choices and ease communication.  when you are ready, check out the communication tools we offer here.

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
Vols4555

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 05:44:23 AM »

Thanks, Harri!

I have been diving into this message board all day and it helps.  Makes you feel like you aren’t alone, which it is easy to feel that way with a BPD spouse, and there is so much great info on communication.  I will try to practice better boundaries, communication, and remembering that I control me and that’s all I can do.
Harri
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 01:20:29 AM »

That is great that you are finding the info helpful.  You definitely are not alone in this. 

I am going to repeat some of what Once removed said and say: One of the benefits of coming here and posting regularly is that as you read and help others,, you can get answers and insight to your own situation.  Don't underestimate the support and learning that can happen in an online community like this.

Work out some problems here.  Practice using tools like S.E.T. and Don't JADE and see if you can link boundaries to your personal boundaries.  The collective wisdom here is another incredible tool.  You have a lot on your plate so take it slow but keep working at it.

"What is to give light must endure burning." ~Viktor Frankl
once removed
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 04:13:59 PM »

any update? has anything transpired since?

and I think it's gonna be all right; yeah; the worst is over now; the mornin' sun is shinin' like a red rubber ball…
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest