Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 03, 2024, 05:42:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What can I expect as the best result of DBT?  (Read 476 times)
Borderlined

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: July 03, 2019, 06:21:25 PM »

Say my wife's therapist directs her to DBT therapy ,and my wife agrees to accept the diagnosis and she applies herself.  In time,what is the best I can hope for?
Right now she is miserable all the time.  Always fighting the world and not understanding it. Do people in recovery get somewhat better? I hate coming home from work. I rather sit in traffic. It's so much more peaceful.

What is the best I can hope for?
I love her so much. I know she has a disorder.  I don't want to leave her. This is no life for either of us
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

formflier
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 07:15:09 PM »

That's such a hard thing to answer.

If she really is applying herself then "the sky is the limit" as far as improvement goes. 

Listen, after reading your comment about peaceful and coming home, I would want you to know that there is likely more change available if you focus on changing the dynamic that putting lots of energy into her, her therapist and all that.

Obviously...lots of details to get into...but what I wrote is a very general "truth" that almost always turns out to be "true".

Would you like to work through details?

Best,

FF

Borderlined

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 05:45:42 PM »

I  would very much  like to hear what you have to say.
Im more than willing to listen .
If I had answers for myself wouldn't be on this board
Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 08:04:52 PM »

I think it's great that your wife is not only willing to accept the diagnosis, but also will do DBT. That's a huge step in the right direction.

You sound like you're somewhat hopeful. With that in mind, I'm going to redirect this thread to the Bettering board, where you can learn strategies that will help support her as she makes changes.

Cat

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
flourdust

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: In the process of divorce after 12 year marriage

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 09:19:11 AM »

As you probably know, a DBT program combines both group and individual therapy and skills-building over several months, possibly longer than a year.

If your wife takes it seriously and applies herself, she may be able to come out the other side with better ability to regulate her own emotions and thoughts and communicate productively. Not perfect, by any means, but improved.

It's also a good idea for you to learn some DBT skills yourself -- the program may have some training for family members or you can buy a workbook. The general skills on emotion regulation can be very helpful for anyone in a stressful situation, such as your home life.

Good luck.

Borderlined

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 08:23:41 AM »

I'm sorry if I misled you, in no way is she willing to accept even the remote possibility of her having BPD. The mention of it sends her to the moon! She says it's for crazy people.  She knows cause she looked it up. That's people like Jeffrey Dahmer who kills and eats people. Clearly she didn't research it in the least.
I have read 4 or 5 books on it now. I'm on my 5th time reading Walking on Eggshells.  How I speak to her does help. Understanding she is ill and there's the wonderful woman beneath it keeps me with her. That and my dogs. They have been the most loving support I could ever ask for. But my life sucks
formflier
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 09:05:36 AM »

The mention of it sends her to the moon! 

How does she take it if labels are dropped and behaviors are described instead?

How does/would DBT go if presented like this .  "Let's work on DBT to increase our skill for (xyz)  " (xyz..enter the skill)

So..it's not as if anyone is "wrong" or "bad".  If "the ability to stay centered" is a good thing...then "increasing" it is a good thing as well..right?

What do you think?

Best,

FF

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest