Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 15, 2024, 05:02:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Virtual counseling  (Read 392 times)
yeeter

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Relationship status: Married

« on: May 10, 2021, 06:59:40 PM »

Looking for resources during divorce:  Supposedly we have agreement to participate in family counseling.  With Covid, these are very overbooked and I am being told July time frame at the earliest for my local counselors.

Then it occurred to me it was likely to be virtual anyway, so it doesnt really matter where the T is located.  (although by July maybe it would open up again)

As you can imagine, a counselor with experience in PD's would be very helpful.

Does anyone have ideas on where to look for such family counseling (or reunification counseling) type services?

Duped_312

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: broken up

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 08:12:58 PM »

Great post and I’ve been trying to find a place too. Problem is I don’t want zoom therapy. I’m over this whole zoom sh^t. I want to sit with someone like a real person and interact about my trauma. Not sit there with landscapers in the background or my dog barking at the tv while I try to communicate something really difficult. 

As a possibility for you, I tried Talkspace a few years ago while a son of mine was sick in the hospital, so there is always that route. I didn’t like the format though and the cheaper plans were really impersonal. If you want real attention, such as video sessions, you pay the price for it. I was incredibly messed up about my sons conditions and my son was essentially dying, and passed away shortly after, so for my very unfortunate purposes it really didn’t hit the mark. Which really sucked. But, I’m not mad at Talkspace generally so if you’re busy and just want some simple “texting” or email type conversation back and forth, it might be worth doing for the interim, until summer rolls around and you can springboard off Talkspace into something more formal. There are lots of niches within the therapy options there so I’m sure you could find a BP and or a divorce support bracket there. Hope that helped?

I’d love to hear if anyone chimes in.  And this might be doubtful, but maybe there is a topic forum here where psychologists provide info or advice on this?
kells76
BOARD ADMINISTRATOR

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 05:16:26 PM »

yeeter, any luck with this so far?

I wonder if licensing may limit you to in-state practitioners. Not sure how that works. But, even so, you could then look at out of town therapists.

I'd suspect it works like interviewing lawyers -- OK, maybe this one isn't for you, but you can still ask "If you were in my shoes, who would you want to be your family therapist"? That's probably what I'd do -- find some provider or practice where I may have a preexisting connection or "in", and just straight up say "We need FT yesterday and cannot wait until July. Who, or what group, would you recommend, even if they're out of town?"

My guess is that you're far enough down the "dealing with PD" road that you could tell pretty easily in interviews, even online, whether a practitioner has the background and experience to handle your situation.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest