Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 12, 2024, 04:01:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Skills we were never taught
A 3 Minute Lesson
on Ending Conflict
Communication Skills-
Don't Be Invalidating
Listen with Empathy -
A Powerful Life Skill
Setting Boundaries
and Setting Limits
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Relationships  (Read 380 times)
Sophie elban

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Dating

« on: August 09, 2021, 05:10:28 PM »

Hi, I hope you’re all doing okay recently:)

I’m quite new to all of this as I’ve not long known about bpd as a mental health illness or what exactly it entails, so since I met my partner I’ve had conversations with him asking him some things and have researched and watched things etc but I’m just learning and trying my best at the minute so there are still a lot of things I’m unsure on.

Of course I understand that everyone is going to be different but I was hoping someone could help me. Obviously I care a lot about him so when he’s sad and expressing it to me(which I absolutely want him to do when he feels he can) it makes me feel sad and like I need to do or say something, but I don’t know if certain things are going to trigger him more or not and I don’t want to seem to be undermining what he is going through and just brushing it off. I feel a bit useless to be completely honest because I’ve got nothing I can offer to him to make him feel happier and that’s all I want.

Also, is it normal that someone with bpd will push you away a lot at the beginning of a relationship? If so, is there generally a time it could take? I know there are stupid questions sorry.
I really don’t know, but thank you for taking your time to read my first post:)
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Cat Familiar
Senior Ambassador

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2021, 07:32:56 PM »

People with BPD both crave intimacy and are frightened by it. That’s why you will hear the term push/pull here frequently.

Take a look at the Tools section at the top of this page for some tips on how to more easily relate to your partner.

“The Four Agreements  1. Be impeccable with your word.  2. Don’t take anything personally.  3. Don’t make assumptions.  4. Always do your best. ”     ― Miguel Ruiz, The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom
skaman24

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Attempting to reconcile slowly

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2021, 10:41:43 AM »

it makes me feel sad and like I need to do or say something, but I don’t know if certain things are going to trigger him more or not and I don’t want to seem to be undermining what he is going through and just brushing it off. I feel a bit useless to be completely honest because I’ve got nothing I can offer to him to make him feel happier and that’s all I want.

Sophie, I wish I knew and researched more about BPD when I first my ex told me about her diagnosis. It would have saved me a lot of heartache and misunderstanding. Consider yourself starting at a great place.

I’ll say two really difficult things:
1. You are not responsible for how he feels. If he is sad, he is sad. You cannot make him happy if he is going through something that is out of your control. All you can do is support him, which brings me to…
2. Validate his emotions. You can tell him that it’s okay to be sad; it’s okay to feel a certain way when you’re going through tough times. Many pwBPD suffer with feeling that their feelings don’t matter. Just the act of validating that they are real and matter is HUGE. But do not try to make him happy. Only he can make himself happy. If he is inspired by you being happy, then fantastic. Support him: be a cheerleader when he works out his own problems; encourage him when he is seeking therapy or bettering his relationships.

A lot of us have codependent habits, and it’s easy to assume his feelings, want to “fix” or “solve” for his feelings, or just let his feelings drive our relationship dynamic. Resist that urge!  Read as many as of the tools on this site as possible, and it will help you. I promise. =)
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest