Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 15, 2024, 09:28:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Option C  (Read 2323 times)
formflier
Retired Staff

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2022, 07:58:18 AM »

But one of the patterns with strong BPD behaviors is that one strategy doesn't last long.  It's like that dutch boy with his finger in a dike, a leak will pop up elsewhere.  

Amen to this. 

If we take as an axiom that whatever you might say will certainly not "fix" the situation and most likely won't "help", then you are really left with "how do I minimize my input to the conflict".

"Kicking the can down the road" and "handing it back to them" are good places to start when devising strategies.

1.  Hey...this sounds important, let me get us a glass of iced tea and then I can focus on what you are saying.

2.  Hey...how is this discussion going to improve our relationship?  (important to sound curious...not confrontational)

Make sure you have 4-5 responses based on each of these that are ready to go, so your responses don't get stale and because BPD will quickly adapt.

Best,

FF

SaltyDawg

Relationship status: Moderately High Conflict Marriage (improving)

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2022, 10:22:05 AM »

FF,  Thanks for the wonderful suggestions.

15years

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2022, 05:41:08 AM »

It's ok to control yourself, to numb yourself during a discussion with her. But we should not confuse controlling ourselves with being mindfully observant of what is happening inside of us, as it is happening. If you don't feel anything, and is just...silent, numb... This raises a flag in my mind...it sounds more like dissociation than mindfullness. Which means you aren't processing your feelings. In turn, those stay stuck within you under the guise of stress and rage.

Thanks for this post. I'm extremely busy at work right now (have been for a year actually due to badly planned and executed changes in the organization), and at home I rarely have time for myself. So, I have little time to write here or be mindful. The work situation was fine and exciting at first but now it's beginning to wear on me. I used to have time over for browsing the internet Smiling (click to insert in post)

15Y, you've been here for nearly a year.  We've provided you with many suggestions and approaches.  Thank you for listening... and trying.  But one of the patterns with strong BPD behaviors is that one strategy doesn't last long.  It's like that dutch boy with his finger in a dike, a leak will pop up elsewhere.  What does he do when all 10 fingers and 10 toes are tucked into the leaks?  That's similar to your dilemma.

We've been there, done that.  Some of us have lesser issues to deal with and have managed to continue in the marriage, and can be found on the Bettering board.  But what about those here who have faced worse problems, even abuse?  If nothing seems to work for you, or not very long, we've been there, done that too.  Many here, myself included, eventually concluded there was no choice for our own welfare (and that of the children) but to end the relationship.  Separation and, if married, then Divorce.  We don't advocate that as a quick option before tools, skills and strategies are attempted, but as a final option.

Here's what I wrote to another member here, likely you read it.

I mention this because at some point, if all else fails, don't forget that this option has been taken by many here.  The distance apart has allowed us to regain a measure of stability, composure and relief.  The resulting custody and parenting schedule has helped the children to discover what a normal home life ought to be with a reasonably stable parent, even if not 100% of the time.

Add to this that time is ticking and the children grow up and I'm missing out on being the dad I want to be. At the same time, it still feels like such an alien thought to break the family.

Being open to every perspective leads to being indecisive. I wonder if that's just my personality or if it's immature of me.

Amen to this. 

If we take as an axiom that whatever you might say will certainly not "fix" the situation and most likely won't "help", then you are really left with "how do I minimize my input to the conflict".

"Kicking the can down the road" and "handing it back to them" are good places to start when devising strategies.

1.  Hey...this sounds important, let me get us a glass of iced tea and then I can focus on what you are saying.

2.  Hey...how is this discussion going to improve our relationship?  (important to sound curious...not confrontational)

Make sure you have 4-5 responses based on each of these that are ready to go, so your responses don't get stale and because BPD will quickly adapt.

Seems a bit fake to act calm and collected and curious when I'm upset. But maybe this is a situation where trying to fake it til you make it could be useful?
ForeverDad
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: separated 2005 then divorced

You can't reason with the Voice of Unreason...

« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2022, 02:47:55 PM »

Add to this that time is ticking and the children grow up and I'm missing out on being the dad I want to be. At the same time, it still feels like such an alien thought to break the family.

Ponder this... Isn't the family already broken?  Or at least seriously in peril — and not by you?

Was the unsinkable Titanic not sinking after it sliced along the iceberg?  Once 5 of 9 compartments were breached, it was effectively sunk, it just hadn't gone down yet.

Being open to every perspective leads to being indecisive. I wonder if that's just my personality or if it's immature of me.

We all kept trying long after others would have given up and faced the alternatives.  (I myself did not take that final action until all my other options failed and both I and my parenting were at risk.)  For all we can know or surmise, our relationships were sought out by our spouses for that very reason.  Have you read The Bridge or The Backyard Black Hole?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2022, 02:53:56 PM by ForeverDad » Logged

formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2022, 04:59:51 PM »

But maybe this is a situation where trying to fake it til you make it could be useful?

Well...maybe.  Maybe look at it this way.

There is really nothing you can do to "fix" this.  Therefore do the minimum harm and give them time to self soothe...let time expire.

Basically..it's about you getting as "out of the way" as you can.

Best,

FF

Manic Miner

Relationship status: married

« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2022, 09:49:50 AM »

Seems a bit fake to act calm and collected and curious when I'm upset. But maybe this is a situation where trying to fake it til you make it could be useful?

This is true for me as well. I tried something similar and texted my W in hope to prevent escalation. I said 'interesting, I totally understand that you are upset, but I will need time to think about it and will post tomorrow.'

Her response was sarcastic one - gee, I see they (therapists, support groups?) have taught you a lot how to respond nicely. Smart. See you later.

Knowing my W very good, this was a thoroughly sarcastic response. She is highly intelligent and she recognized the responding patterns of how therapists and support groups, like this forum, teach. It's beyond me how she knows all of that, yet fails to apply a fraction of the knowledge to herself.

At that time I felt - oh nice, another hole in the boat that needs fixing with yet another type of patch.
formflier
Retired Staff

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2022, 03:28:39 PM »

This is true for me as well. I tried something similar and texted my W in hope to prevent escalation. I said 'interesting, I totally understand that you are upset, but I will need time to think about it and will post tomorrow.'

Hey...I see where you were trying to go with your response, yet I suspect what set off your wife was saying that you understood and also identifying her emotional state.

"Hey babe...this sounds important.  I'll give this my full attention this evening and will share my thoughts tomorrow."

Do you see how my suggestion "feels" different?

Best,

FF

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest