Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 12, 2024, 03:06:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Could it be BPD
BPDFamily.com Production
Listening to shame
Brené Brown, PhD
What is BPD?
Blasé Aguirre, MD
What BPD recovery looks like
Documentary
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to do For you Thought for the day  (Read 408 times)
co.jo

« on: March 16, 2014, 03:33:00 PM »

I just had a thought- so many people are advising parents to take care of ourselves, find something to bring us pleasure, etc. No one has mentioned this obvious idea-learn an instrument! I am a music teacher, and also learned to play the organ a few years ago. Learning an instrument is almost like a meditation in that it requires all of your brain, and takes you away from the cares of the moment. Bonus- it's fun! No instrument? No problem! solid (and heavy) old pianos are usually available in online ads for cheap to free, and we all have an instrument that is free- our voice. Take lessons, join in a choir, heck if we all lived in the same city we could be the BPDP Choir!

Guarantee you will feel better after making music.
Our objective is to better understand the struggles our child faces and to learn the skills to improve our relationship and provide a supportive environment and also improve on our own emotional responses, attitudes and effectiveness as a family leaders
jellibeans

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 04:10:21 PM »

I think that is a great idea... . I have no musical abilities but some people might have this this talent slide and they rekindle it again.

I would really love to figure out a way to get Valerie Porr to come some place and give a talk... . I know everyone is so spread out but I think it would be great if we organized a retreat of some kind... . I am Austin Texas but we could pick some place central... . even Vega would be a good place because there are always deals on travel... .
pessim-optimist

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Child

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 10:47:16 PM »

What a good idea!

I have to say that my musical abilities are limited also, but I can sing along if someone holds the tune. My husband is musical, but has given up on music over the years through all the stress in his life, so lately we have started to re-kindle the love for music a bit in a laid back way - we look up our favorite music on youtube (you would not believe all the things you can find there!) and we sing along or just listen - and you are right! It's uplifting and it takes up your mind's focus... .

I know, it probably sounds really cheesy - especially to a real musician... . But what the heck - it works!  Smiling (click to insert in post)
Thursday

Relationship status: married for one month (!)

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 06:04:03 AM »

I don't play an instrument but I do like to listen to great music and try to do so when I can. I like Pandora and have it on my phone... . and my nonDD gave me this little gizmo that allows me to listen to Pandora with my phone but through my truck's speakers.

jellibeans- if your talking about going to Vega, the star, count me in. I'm guessing you meant Vegas, which would be fun too.   

thursday
BioAdoptMom3

Relationship status: Married for 28 years

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 10:05:11 AM »

WOW, I so agree with you!  I really appreciate this reminder because I do play organ and flute, and love to sing, but never seem to take the time to just sit down and play.  You are right in that it is a great distraction and so relaxing.  When I am especially stressed I love to put in my favorite CD and sing along, though again, I usually only do that when I am in the car.  I need to make a more conscious effort, for myself, to enjoy the music!  Thanks so much for this uplifting post!
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest