Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 14, 2024, 02:55:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Financial hell  (Read 221 times)
campbembpd

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: married

« on: December 12, 2023, 02:37:20 PM »

Hi all, I’m a newbie here. Been married for 25 years, didn’t understand the worsening behaviors and rages in my wife until our therapist mentioned she has borderline traits 5-6 weeks ago.. I found the book “stop walking on eggshells” and never cried so much reading a book…

Finances have been tough almost always.except for when we were first together. We both contributed, she worked full time and it didn’t seem so hard when we were young and weren’t making much money. After the kids were born I was promoted and she was able to quit her job and not work for 10 years. My wife has always hated talking about money and finances and budget is a 4 letter word. I always pictured an ostrich with its head in the sand. I was making great money for many years but it was still not enough. If she wanted to do something, go on a trip, buy something big The worst thing I could say was/is “we can’t afford this” or ask “how are we going to pay for that?”

Now today as it stands overall the rages and behavior is the worst it’s ever been for the past 6 years. I wish I would have leaned about BPD 15 years ago.

Money situation is bad, my company closed and I had to start over somewhere else and am making 50% less then what I did 10 years ago. We’ve had to pull out of retirement accounts to maintain our lifestyle and we’re in debt now.

The cycle would go - When I tried to curb spending and tell her we don’t have the money to go out all the time or maybe we need to not travel so much (we spent $15k or more this year easily, mostly on CCs) she would get mad, upset and would say:

Why don’t we just rip the band aid off and divorce. We’re really not happy.
I don’t feel romanced, you used to buy me massages, gifts, now nothing…
I don’t think we’ll ever be happy again
All we do is fight, how long do we do this for
This isn’t the life you promised me!
I need to feel swept off my feet
I need to be wined and dined

This has happened a bunch of times over the past but so much over the last 6 years when wasn’t making as much. Then I give in, we keep spending what we don’t have then months or a year later she gets mad because we’ve taken money out of savings, we’ve gone into debt and she asks why we aren’t putting money away and investing!

She has worked very part time.  But it, like so many tasks are so stressful for her, she complains how much work she has to do, max 20 hours but often less. She has her own business and has said so many times she needs to hire an assistant, what?. She does cover a car payment because she wanted to buy a certain expensive car after the last one died so she’s able to pay for that. She also will pay for meals out occasionally and takes a couple of girls trips a year. She’s supposed to pay for them but 1/2 of those usually go on the credit card too. Sometimes she’ll get the kids clothes or something.  don’t know what happens to all her money. But she considers it basically discretionary.

She’s agreed to see a financial counselor in the new year. We’re at the max for credit cards and we can keep living like this. I figure she hasn’t listened to me for over 10 years, maybe a 3rd party will help…

I am freaking out about it. I really think this could be the end. She’s never taken responsibility for money and has told me that “setting a budget is lowering the bar”. I have pretty low confidence this will go well. Also she will blame me for putting us in this position, it will be my fault just like everything.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

thankful person

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Relationship status: Married

Formerly known as broken person…

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2023, 05:01:22 PM »

Hi campbembpd and welcome to bpd family. The people here are extremely knowledgeable and supportive and there’s lots of information which has helped me improve my marriage and communication with my wife. The financial issues though, not so much. I also have a wife who adores spending and doesn’t seem to understand the value of money or the reason people work. It doesn’t help that we are in the UK and it’s so easy to get credit and get into debt and then get more credit. My wife has even lamented that if she didn’t own half our house (paid for with my family’s money) the government would help pay off more of her debt. To make matters worse, my wife is jealous of my working so there has always been pressure on me to work less (I’m self-employed). I yearn for simpler times when people worked and earned a packet of cash which you had to choose how much to spend or save. My wife is at home raising our small children so bored and depressed, what better way to spend her time than ordering takeaway deliveries, online shopping, searching for holidays and better bigger houses etc… It’s an area I struggle to set boundaries in. I’ve never been well off but I used to do better for myself. My parents have also helped us out lots despite my wife’s poor treatment of my mother. I also get the divorce threats and complaints that I don’t buy her enough things but I can’t afford it. She wants a car for Christmas. I bought her a guitar which ended up going over budget because she was so happy I felt I couldn’t say no (I do feel that sounds stupid). I can’t afford a car so there’s little point in disappointing her with anything else. I wish you all the best in your journey to hopefully improve your marriage. I’m sorry I don’t have better advice but hopefully others will.

“Maybe I’ll get it right next time…” from “Estranged” by Guns N’ Roses
Notwendy

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2023, 05:26:47 PM »

I am freaking out about it. I really think this could be the end. She’s never taken responsibility for money and has told me that “setting a budget is lowering the bar”. I have pretty low confidence this will go well. Also she will blame me for putting us in this position, it will be my fault just like everything.

The end of your marriage?
If your wife left you because she didn't get to spend all the money she wants, what does that say about her? What about your marriage?

I don't have advice but will share that money issues prevailed in my family of origin. We didn't go without our basic needs but anything extra went to BPD mother and Dad's stress was obvious. He also went into debt at one point.

I know now that there's no way to reason with my BPD mother. After Dad passed away, his considerable savings went to her. She has spent recklessly and has depleted most of them. Fortunately she has a monthly check which will keep her from being without shelter but she spends much more than that. She took out a home equity loan and didn't tell anyone about it. We found out by accident. We moved her to assisted living and sold the house before the bank could repossess it. What was left from the sale after paying off the bank went into her account and she's squandered most of that too.

Dad spent no money on himself. He would buy generics at the pharmacy, clothes on sale at a bargain store. BPD mother has a closet full of designer purses and watches and kept a car she didn't drive We eventually sold the car and put the money into her account. She's drained all her IRA's, most of her savings and the equity in the house that was paid for.

We have tried to reason with her for her own sake. She doesn't care.
She's still considered legally competent and does what she wants with her own money.

I hope you can get a handle on it if possible.

campbembpd

Relationship status: married

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2023, 09:44:23 AM »

The end of your marriage?
If your wife left you because she didn't get to spend all the money she wants, what does that say about her? What about your marriage?

I think this could be the end of the marriage because boundaries and limits are needed and this has been one of the worst subjects. I'm so scared of the rages, the reactions, the lies that will come out with this. And it the fear this will continue again and again. It's hard to see her ever being okay with this, even a year or two down the road. I fear the resentment that will build up from her, not get better. I pray I'm wrong.

It will bleed into so so many things that will trigger her. Her not being able to drink as much alcohol , not being able to go on vacations we can't afford like before, having to actually make adult choices, things need to be an OR choice, not AND (i.e. we can go on a vacation we save for later in the year OR we can continue to spend hundreds a week eating out (we can't afford to keep doing that either). She can go on a girls trip OR she can work less. We can pay off our debt in the next 2 years OR we can eat out a few times a month.). She HATES to be at home so going out for lunches, happy hours, dinners, overnight trips is what she feels she has to keep herself occupied. It's what she says makes her feel 'romanced'. She doesn't do well with any change and this will change a LOT for her. We are going to have to reduce our spending. A lot, it's going to really be a hard one for her...

In the past my attempts to curb spending (which I've always caved on) ended terribly. I pay all the bills, my paycheck goes into a 'joint' account. Which BTW none of her money goes into but once in a while she will transfer over to help cover something. Her money goes into her venmo, paypal and her personal checking. I couldn't tell you what she spends her money on. 

I have told her since we've been in our new state that I barely make enough to pay the bills, there isn't much left over. She would go out and randomly buy stuff and all of the sudden there's money out of the account and not enough to pay a bill. For example she would stop at the grocery store and spend $200 when I just went to the store (I plan all the meals, do the grocery shopping and prepare the meals so I know what we need). Or she would go out for lunch with friends, buy something at a store. When I explained we (not just her) can't just go spend out of the joint account because there isn't money to pay the bills when we do that. We need to have a conversation if there's going to be spending out of the 'joint' account. That made me 'controlling' and wanting to have power over her by controlling the finances.

She says I'm controlling (she uses absolutes like you are always controlling with money)
She texted her mom and sister telling them I've 'cut her off', and tell them I'm being so controlling.

I'm worried a lot about the latter. Her mom has been good about calling me and asking me what's going on. She knows my uBPDw has behaviors and spending issues - she's seen then first hand. But I'm also thinking long term. If we don't make it and our marriage breaks, the things she would say about me to our friends, to her family, to my family. There's not much I would put past her once she feels scorn, considering how bad the rages are and we're married it scares me what she would do if we were to split up.

To give her credit she has contributed some to trips, pays for her and I going out to eat sometimes. She also took on a car payment for her new vehicle. But it is interesting how she didn't have or offer that $700 a month to the family finances before she wanted to get a particular car.

Dad spent no money on himself. He would buy generics at the pharmacy, clothes on sale at a bargain store. BPD mother has a closet full of designer purses and watches and kept a car she didn't drive We eventually sold the car and put the money into her account. She's drained all her IRA's, most of her savings and the equity in the house that was paid for.

I had to laugh because this is me. I spend almost nothing on myself, except what's necessary. I almost never replace clothes until they're worn out. I grocery shop between 2 stores and buy the item wherever it's cheaper after I've planned out the meals for the week so I know exactly what I need to buy. I don't have any hobbies to spend money on. She has quite a few designer purses and has had to clean out her closets several times, removing older clothes in the closet because everything was packed so tight, needed room for new stuff. She regularly goes out to lunch, always seems to have new earrings, accessories or outfits through the months and usually takes 2 girls trips (vacations) a year.
Notwendy

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2023, 10:42:47 AM »

This has been an ongoing situation- I wish I had a solution but I am still dealing with this kind of thing, even though it's not my own finances.

Dad didn't get a handle on it. When he got ill- and eventually passed away- I tried to get my parents to agree to let me have some input to the money left- because I feared BPD mother would spend it recklessly. I asked to have access to one of their checking accounts in case of emergency.  I was very naive about BPD at the time. BPD mother told people I "forced her to take me to the bank to get her money". I was embarrassed. I would not take their money. I didn't want people to think that and so I backed off and didn't look at their bank accounts.

Fast forward- BPD mother has done what I was concerned she would do. Every savings account they had is gone. Dad planned well- I don't know exactly how much but it was a lot. Fortunately he invested some in a trust that brings a monthly income. That income would be enough but BPD mother spends in excess of it.

So, without telling anyone, she took out a home equity loan and drained the equity of her house. We found out by accident when going through some papers with her in her house. In a panic, we moved her out of the house and into assisted living. She now accuses us of forcing her out of the house but we got her out right before the bank would have repossessed it. We then sold the house, and the car, ( which she kept but didn't drive) and all the proceeds went into her account and she's spending that quickly too.

The issue is that, she is still considered "legally competent" and so I have no control over her spending which is out of control. Any attempt to intervene on my part -to protect her from her reckless spending-would be a costly and drawn out legal process with the courts siding against me as she'd accuse us of taking her money. I have spoken to a lawyer about this- and there's nothing I can do as long as she's legally competent.

One might ask- why do I care? Why not let her experience the consequences of her behavior? Because she is elderly, mentally ill, and has medical issues. She can not fend for herself. She needs people to help her- yet she's verbally and emotionally abusive to people who do help her. I am not emotionally bonded to her. It's that I am the next of kin and it's beyond common decency to me to not be involved to the extent that I am willing to be. I do have boundaries with her. He preference would be for me to be her 24/7 servant but I won't do that.

Although I have spoken to her about the possibility of her running out of money, she doesn't care. It's like an addiction. She won't stop until every penny of her savings is gone. My father was wise to set up some monthly income so that her basic needs will be met, and I am grateful for that.

The tension around money in my family has been an issue. BPD mother controls people with money. I don't acccept any money from her and she doesn't offer it.

I wish I had a solution but I don't. As long as there's money in my mother's hands, she will spend it. I do know that if you don't get a handle on it somehow, your wife will probably continue to spend it.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest