Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 22, 2024, 06:31:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Before you can make things better, you have to stop making them worse... Have you considered that being critical, judgmental, or invalidating toward the other parent, no matter what she or he just did will only make matters worse? Someone has to be do something. This means finding the motivation to stop making things worse, learning how to interrupt your own negative responses, body language, facial expressions, voice tone, and learning how to inhibit your urges to do things that you later realize are contributing to the tensions.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What it feels like being "over it".  (Read 380 times)
Sappho11

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent

« on: November 03, 2021, 02:30:02 PM »

A couple of weeks ago an online oracle spat out a message along the lines of: "You will come in contact with a piece of fabric, whose smell will remind you of something. It will be quite unsettling; not just the smell, but also the way in which you'll encounter this piece of fabric, which will be quite inexplicable."

I immediately thought of my BPDex's shirts, but since I had been meticulous in getting rid of my ex's belongings, I completely dismissed this "prophesy" as entertaining nonsense.

As you may know, I'm currently moving house, and guess what? Today I moved a chest of drawers, and underneath (!) there was one of my ex's t-shirts. The chest doesn't have legs, so I do wonder a bit how the shirt got there. I have very little stuff in my drawers so it's strange that I should have missed it.

Anyway. I thought of that random oracle message and smelled the shirt. But there was nothing disturbing about it. It was just a musky man smell, not unattractive, and completely detached in my mind from my memories of my BPDex. I might as well have been smelling a stranger's shirt. Which he was, in a way.

I threw it away along with a teaspoon of salt, the way the Japanese do it.

In other news, for the past six months (it's almost been half a year now!) I had been avoiding the train station where he lives. Which was silly, because it's a convenient place to change lines. Today (before I found the shirt) I decided that enough was enough, and that I was going to change trains where I damn well pleased, and if he was there, I was going to ignore him; if he were to come up to me, I was going to tell him to leave me alone, that my heart was engaged elsewhere, somewhere were it is understood and appreciated. So I changed trains at that station, and nothing at all happened. As was to be expected.

This morning I also happened to see my narcissistic ex-best friend. It's now dawning on him that my moving away will also mean my moving out of his reach for good. Ever since I cut him off two months ago, my life has taken a huge turn for the better – to an unprecedented degree. I feel I've lived more in the past two months than I had in the ten years before that time combined. No wonder I was so miserable for years, if not decades!

If you're struggling with detachment, let me tell you that there is nothing, I repeat, NOTHING to be afraid of. If you're afraid of loneliness, it's only because you've been surrounded by people who didn't appreciate you for most of your recent years, if not your entire life. But there ARE good people out there who will love you and appreciate you for all that you are – people who will be delighted to have you in their lives. These are your people. Find them. It will mean having to get dressed and having to leave the house. It will be daunting to talk to strangers. But trust me, it is all completely worth it. And this is from an introvert.

I never thought it was possible, until I cut out the last emotional vampires in my life – who I once thought were the bedrock of my existence. They weren't. It was they who kept me small and tethered for years, weighed me down, and belittled my greatest achievements out of envy and spite. It took a BPD relationship for me to figure this out. And I'm grateful that it happened. The destruction of these very foundations was the necessary precursor to the joy and growth that is happening now. I couldn't see it at the time, and I resisted it, but now, at the other end of tunnel – boy, am I glad that everything went down the way it did. No regrets.

Much love to you all.  Virtual hug (click to insert in post)
Ad Meliora

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Single

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2021, 12:18:35 AM »

It will mean having to get dressed and having to leave the house.

Dealbreaker--I'm out!  Laugh out loud (click to insert in post)

Good steps.  I imagine it will look different for everyone.  Some people may decide the best thing is to have a better relationship with themselves, some will be better at the dating game, and still others will leave the house without pants on, get arrested, and meet new friends in jail.   Smiling (click to insert in post)

“The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.” ― Mark Twain
grumpydonut

Relationship status: Broken up

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2021, 06:24:54 PM »

Excerpt
others will leave the house without pants on, get arrested, and meet new friends in jail.

Yep, can confirm that this is what happens.
Goosey

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2021, 08:06:32 PM »

I bought pants today. Was rifling through my small pile of folded work clothes and thought “I may need some decent jeans”.
   Believe you me that’s a big step. Just the thought of a day of no mental regurgitation of the past.
   I want one day to feel mentally free. My Irish thinks that may never happen.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest