Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 20, 2024, 05:25:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BPD Wife  (Read 445 times)
Marino40
Fewer than 3 Posts

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: January 09, 2018, 02:45:34 PM »

Married 10years. We have 3 kids. We have been very lucky to be committed to raising our kids and possibly expanding our family. Unfortunately daily life for me is a constant struggle to maintain emotional stability with my wife. I never know what is going to set her off. One day it can be a past event and the next can be that I placed the groceries in wrong location. She has been threatening divorce for two years now but I know it’s her defense mechanism and manipulation. I’ve learned or trying to ignore it. Tragically she has now resorted to saying it in front of the kids when she’s having a bad day. I constantly get told that reason for her discontent in our marriage is my sarcasm and defensiveness. Yes I can play in the gutter when I don’t have the fortitude to see past it. It’s not EASY! Years ago I approached her with the idea that she might be BPD but it was not received kindly to say the least. I have been to a handful of marriage counselors but each discredits BPD and say I have to be more understanding of her feelings and improve our communication. Wife comes to sessions and either charms her way out or plays victim to me as if she has no responsibility in causing any issues.

Does anyone have a long game strategy on how to deal with this? Or ways to approach wife?

Thank you!

I’
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

notyetbroken

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 05:42:35 PM »

Sorry no answers, but just a question as this comment "I never know what is going to set her off." resonated deeply with me. Can you figure out what things intensify her degree of anger? My wife is currently stressed and overloaded, this seems to be a huge trigger.
Tattered Heart
Retired Staff

Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 12:41:39 PM »

Hi Marino,

I'm sorry that you are having difficulty in your marriage. I think one of the hardest parts of being in a relationship with someone with BPD is that you are constantly on guard for the next attack so you walk around trying to make sure nothing is out of order or upsets them. THis is how we start walking on egg shells. It creates intense stress for ourselves and for our pwBPD.

When your W gets angry about something little, how do you respond to her? What do you say?

Our workshop on The Dos and Dont's of a BPD Relationship is chalk full of info on ways to change your reaction. Could you share a more specific example of what happened and we can help you work through a different approach (for next time)?

Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life Proverbs 13:12

Marino40
Fewer than 3 Posts

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 09:08:39 PM »

To notyetbroken- anything and everything can set her off. I never know what will set her off. I will say if it’s a repeat “offense” then I get more of an earful. Some I chalk up to having manage life with kids but more often than not she overreacts over the most mundane things. #mycrazylife... .good luck!

To Tattered Heart - thank you for your post. My reactions the majority of the time are consolatory. Trying to keep peace with W and not create conflict in front of kids. Unfortunately my fear is that kids will grow up seeing a father who’s constantly demeaned and without authority. I’m the sole provider for our family and I would like nothing more than my kids to grow up in a loving stable family like I did. In my frustration I find myself having more resentment towards W and reacting negativity which obviously causes W more wackiness and things spiral downward. (Current status - kicked out of house ... maybe for night?... .#anotherday)
I hate BPD... I love my wife so much but she’s possessed by it! It sucks.

DaddyBear77

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 10:51:07 PM »

Wow, Marino40, so much of this resonated with me. I am so sorry to hear you're going through this. It really, really sucks. I hope that wherever you're spending the night tonight, it's at least warm and somewhat comfortable. As your hashtag implies, tomorrow IS another day. It sounds like you've been here a time or two?

My daughter is 4 years old. You mentioned the phrase "possibly expanding our family" and that stood out to me, so I'll share this anecdote. It's so strange to describe this but maybe you'll understand it - I don't think I've ever described this here on the boards before - anyway, the process of conceiving our child was a surreal mix of making love on demand, spending the rest of the night and most of the morning fighting, getting a couple hours of sleep, and then driving and hour or so to a fertility clinic for testing, still emotionally raw from the night before ... .and then, 3 years later, discussing the possibility of doing it all over again! I must be insane! Oh wait... .  Smiling (click to insert in post)

In all seriousness, the kind of hope that we bring to a marriage where it seems like we're the only one hoping, it's a really really difficult thing. It does, however, make clear one of the most important points I've learned here: If there's going to be a change in our relationship, it's highly likely that it will need to come from you. If we expect someone who's had basically the same reaction for 10 years, to suddenly stop, without any real introspection, self awareness, and serious help, well, I think someone said once, that's the definition of insanity, right?

One of the things that I had to figure out first and foremost was the lesson on Ending Conflict. We have the power to change our reactions, no matter what our pwBPD does, says, thinks, shouts about, etc, etc. You've probably already figured out that sarcasm and defensiveness doesn't help much. Go figure. I really, really wish it did, though, because I'm really good at both. The idea that these things don't help also ties into what you may be hearing from marriage counselors - technically speaking, "full blown" BPD diagnosis is rare, so it's not surprising that you get the sense the therapist is "discrediting" that idea. But more importantly, telling someone with BPD that their husband (or wife) is right, you DO have BPD, is one of the quickest way to end a session. Been there. Done that. The therapist that really has their act together will actually push hard on YOU to be more understanding or her feelings (we call that Validation and improve communications (again, you're going to have to do a lot of the work on communication skills here, especially at first.

Hopefully this gives you a good perspective, because believe me, I've been there. I get it.

Get some rest tonight wherever you are, Marino40, and tomorrow, maybe we can find some ways to help you start a #brandnewday

~DB77
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest