Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 13, 2024, 09:29:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grief and/or depression  (Read 480 times)
Tincanmike

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« on: December 05, 2013, 07:24:54 PM »

Hello again to all. I upgraded today from a mental health therapist to a Psychologist.  Therapists help, but I needed a more in-depth evaluation of what the heck is going on with me, post-borderline relationship.  In the span of an hour I learned a lot and took one important thing home with me. The following article/link describes it well.  It seems we are all missing/grieving the good (not negative) things from our relationships.  And it also seems we are all pretty damn depressed. Knowing the difference might help. It helped me. Comments welcome!

www.psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2011/02/23/the-two-worlds-of-grief-and-depression/

santa

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 08:59:04 PM »

I think exhaustion is a factor too. At the end of my relationship, I was just mentally spent. I think when the relationship just beats you down, when it's finally over, the emotions of a break up on top of everything else that you've had to deal with in the relationship just puts you at kind of a twilight zone for awhile.

Mine is wearing off, but it's taken awhile.
bpdspell

Relationship status: Married.

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 09:29:08 PM »

Tinacan,

One valuable thing I learned from my therapist is that when you're "hysterical it's historical." A lot of the grief and depression we experience after the breakup are improperly healed scabs that were already in place that are ripped off by our BPD exs.

Yes we are grieving the mirroring and idealization that we got from them as well but also our triggered hurts that live in our deepest most wounded vulnerable places are also exposed like an open nerve of a toothache.

My Childhood abuse, neglect and grief we skillfully repressed; or so I thought until my BPD ex was able to penetrate my tightly guarded emotional walls. When my ex abandoned me I wanted to die because he did to me exactly what my mother and father did: detach without care or concern.

Spell
State85

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 09:43:08 PM »

Reading this it is funny how so many non's are in therapy... but those pwBPD are probably not!
santa

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 09:53:28 PM »

Reading this it is funny how so many non's are in therapy... but those pwBPD are probably not!

LOL

"Battle not with monsters lest ye become a monster." - Nietzsche

RecycledNoMore

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 11:50:22 PM »

Thank you so very much

I was having such a difficult time, wondering if maybe I had depression to contend with alongside all my rollercoaster emotions in this ride we call recovery... ., it was clarification for me, that I am/ can, get through this

I was terrified of contemplating the notion I might have had depression, I kept thinking, " do I, dont I, sometimes I dont feel so bad, sometimes I feel great about myself and where Im headed", it comes in waves as the article suggests Idea
winston3

Relationship status: Just friends again

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 06:31:00 AM »

This is the third time that I've been to therapy after being let go by my exBPD. Life feels like it has no meaning sometimes. Nothing feels as good without them around. Winter is the worst.

You can't listen to a lot of your favorite songs, you can't eat certain foods, you can't wear certain clothes... .I've had issues sleeping in the same bed. At work you're less productive. You're not attracted to anyone new. The days go on and on.
Tincanmike

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 07:09:54 AM »

Thank you so very much

I was having such a difficult time, wondering if maybe I had depression to contend with alongside all my rollercoaster emotions in this ride we call recovery... ., it was clarification for me, that I am/ can, get through this

I was terrified of contemplating the notion I might have had depression, I kept thinking, " do I, dont I, sometimes I dont feel so bad, sometimes I feel great about myself and where Im headed", it comes in waves as the article suggests Idea

I too feel pretty damn good and confident some days, and very closed off and down others. Depression can be treated, grief takes time. Losing my wife was like a death in a way, but even worse in that she is still there. It's like I'm suddenly watching her on some tv show with a whole new life.  Accept the grief, treat the depression that comes with grief and loss. Keep your head up and take care of yourself!
Pretty Woman

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

The Greatest Love is the Love You Give Yourself

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 07:32:41 AM »

Tin Can,

I am still exhausted. 

I got replaced right before Halloween.  But before then I was always tired.  I was so depressed IN this relationship.  I didn't trust her and felt stuck. She did me a huge favor. 

winston3

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 07:43:11 AM »

Tin Can,

I am still exhausted. 

I got replaced right before Halloween.  But before then I was always tired.  I was so depressed IN this relationship.  I didn't trust her and felt stuck. She did me a huge favor. 

I got replaced right after Halloween. 

It's true, isn't it. You can say that you got replaced. What's creepiest is how they forget you... .everything good that you did for them. Suddenly you're just this thing to project their past pains on. The guy looks like me, has a lot of the same interests, etc., And you can tell that he is going to fall right into the trap.
Pretty Woman

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb

The Greatest Love is the Love You Give Yourself

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 08:21:55 AM »

Winston,

Even worse... my birthday was the next week.   

My ex replaced me with a 5'2 runner with greasy stringy hair and bad breath.

I am a curvy gal but fairly attractive.  Used to get mistaken regularly for Sharon Stone even without makeup... .now Lisa Marie Presley. 

My ex is nothing special.  She is attractive but clingy and possessive.  Two weeks before she dumped me she was watching my every move when we'd go out.  My friends said she was very controlling. 

I look at her lopping off my balls (ha ha) as the ultimate control move.  She blocked FB, her number and email.  This is a week after dumping me and saying she loved me very much and we would be best friends. 

?

I challenged the best friend part.  First you tell me we have nothing in common but we are best friends? I told her I refused to be her fallback. 

I think that's when she realized I was on to her. 

She has to eliminate me.  Her new girl is in our social circle... .someone I considered a friend.

God, I need better friends. 

I agree with you.  Is amazing how you are completely erased like you never existed.  That's probably the hardest part.  Even if they treated you like complete shyt how they can move on so quickly... .

The thing is were they ever really there in the first place?

winston3

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 08:32:01 AM »

Winston,

Even worse... my birthday was the next week.   

My ex replaced me with a 5'2 runner with greasy stringy hair and bad breath.

I am a curvy gal but fairly attractive.  Used to get mistaken regularly for Sharon Stone even without makeup... .now Lisa Marie Presley. 

My ex is nothing special.  She is attractive but clingy and possessive.  Two weeks before she dumped me she was watching my every move when we'd go out.  My friends said she was very controlling. 

I look at her lopping off my balls (ha ha) as the ultimate control move.  She blocked FB, her number and email.  This is a week after dumping me and saying she loved me very much and we would be best friends. 

?

I challenged the best friend part.  First you tell me we have nothing in common but we are best friends? I told her I refused to be her fallback. 

I think that's when she realized I was on to her. 

She has to eliminate me.  Her new girl is in our social circle... .someone I considered a friend.

God, I need better friends. 

I agree with you.  Is amazing how you are completely erased like you never existed.  That's probably the hardest part.  Even if they treated you like complete shyt how they can move on so quickly... .

The thing is were they ever really there in the first place?

Maybe my exBPD was more kind overall than yours. ugh that sounds rough. I literally mean though (about erasure) have you had a conversation with your exBPD where they talk about themselves and maybe a few negative memories involving you but otherwise they can hear nothing but the "news report" from you? Anything else is like a stressor to remind them that hey - you used to exist and you used to have fun with them.

And I'm sorry to hear that your ex makes you feel like you weren't even there in the first place. But you were. This was something that you experienced and that you haven't erased. Maybe that can help you to historicize it and clean the pipes out (in your head) a little.
RecycledNoMore

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 03:24:59 AM »

but even worse in that she is still there. It's like I'm suddenly watching her on some tv show with a whole new life. 

Yes, this exactly for me too, but its like a car crash, sometimes I cant look away.
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest