Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 16, 2024, 08:52:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BPD reading recommendations  (Read 406 times)
thankful person

What is your sexual orientation: Gay, lesb
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner
Relationship status: Married

Formerly known as broken person…

« on: November 11, 2021, 04:16:19 PM »

Hi all,
These are the bpd books I have read:
- Loving someone with bpd: although I felt less alone reading it, I do not remember learning much from it
- Stop walking on eggshells: although I thought it was good I evidently did not get it at the time, because I didn’t actually understand that you have to stop walking on eggshells until I spent more time on the forum here
- Stop caretaking the borderline or narcissist
- Raising resilient children with a borderline or narcissist
These last two I have found excellent and with the support on the forum, I am finally actually putting changes into practice - it is a frustrating and extremely upsetting process, but I want to continue with it.
So my question is, do you think I would benefit from reading any of these books again, or are there others which might help me?
Thanks in advance.

“Maybe I’ll get it right next time…” from “Estranged” by Guns N’ Roses
RELATIONSHIP PROBLEM SOLVING
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members are welcomed to express frustration but must seek constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Jabiru
Ambassador

What is your sexual orientation: Straight

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2021, 08:05:18 AM »

do you think I would benefit from reading any of these books again, or are there others which might help me?
Those books probably have most of what's needed. Like you say, the harder step is applying it Being cool (click to insert in post)

I think only you can answer if re-reading will help. If in doubt, start reading and you can stop if it's not helpful.

Every year or two, I re-read some books on this and other topics that have been helpful in my life. I read through some important chapters and skim through other chapters that aren't as relevant.
mitten

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2021, 08:23:29 AM »

The same two books were most helpful to me as well - Stop caretaking the borderline or narcissist, and Raising resilient children with a borderline or narcissist (this book is new in the past year or so). 

Although Stop Walking on Eggshells was the very first book I read on BPD and almost everything in the book resonated with me.  It was the big aha!  That's what the problem is! 

I've had to listen to these books (on Audible) over and over again to catch and retain everything.  Part of the problem is I'm mostly driving when I was listening to these so it was somewhat hard to focus and I couldn't take notes, etc.  I've probably listened to each book 3 times in the past year.  BPD is not intuitive, so it takes awhile to really learn all the copying mechanisms. 
zondolit

Relationship status: separated

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2021, 02:18:57 PM »

I've found the books you mention to be very helpful. Alan Fruzzetti's The High-Conflict Couple: A Dialectical Behavior Therapy Guide to Finding Peace, Intimacy, and Validation is another one that I find a bit different, and more challenging, than the others. You might give it a try.
thankful person

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2021, 05:31:23 PM »

Thank you all and Zondo for the recommendation. Mitten I believe you told me about the children book and recommended audible so thank you. My children are still very small but I want to prepare early. I thought it was excellent. The only thing was much of it was about removing the children when the bpd gets stressed. I would love to! But I’m never allowed to do this. My wife is coping well with them actually, she wouldn’t allow me to take them anywhere without her. I got that book on audible and play out in my car, but I don’t get how to get more books. I understand you get one credit a month but how do you get more books?

NotAHero

Relationship status: In the recycling phase

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2021, 01:14:24 AM »

I read all 3 plus protecting yourself when divorcing a BP/NP which I found very valuable. Even if you are not considering separation now it’s good to know what to expect. I wish I read it when I divorced my first ( antisocial personality) I would not still be suffering to this day and probably would not have fallen for a BP few years later.

By the way did anyone read Coparenting with a toxic ex? If so is it any good?
Woolspinner2000
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2021, 05:24:09 PM »

Here is another helpful book that isn't too long:

I Hate You, Don't Leave Me

This was one of the first books out there about BPD. It has a revised and updated edition now.

Wools

There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.  -C.S. Lewis
mitten

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2021, 02:05:35 PM »

I got that book on audible and play out in my car, but I don’t get how to get more books. I understand you get one credit a month but how do you get more books?

I cancelled my Audible membership because I have more books on BPD than I can listen to... haha.  But when you cancel you still get to keep all your books.  You get one credit a month but you can buy more credits at anytime.  You may not be able to buy credits on the app, however (you may have to go into the actual Audible website to buy more, I can't remember). Glad audio books have been as helpful for you as they have been for me!  BPD books wouldn't look too nice on my living room bookshelf... haha. 
thankful person

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2021, 03:58:36 PM »

Thanks not a hero (I don’t know if our relationship will last, I intend to do what I can…) and also woolspinner. I used to think “I hate you, don’t leave me” meant classically needy/clingy. It’s different though, wife has never begged me not to go to work, as I thought she might, but just makes a horrendous effort to make me feel guilty about it. I will put it on my list.
Thanks Mitten, I will keep audible until we move, when I won’t be driving on my own as much. The only book I got so far on there is the resilient children one. I am listening to it again! I pretend I’m in therapy and someone’s telling me I’m not the crazy one. It’s very validating ;)

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest