Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 20, 2024, 04:05:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Survey: How do you compare?
Adult Children Sensitivity
67% are highly sensitive
Romantic Break-ups
73% have five or more recycles
Physical Hitting
66% of members were hit
Depression Test
61% of members are moderate-severe
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting Worse  (Read 343 times)
Jej

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner

« on: December 17, 2016, 03:20:03 AM »

Hello all, sorry to post again so soon after my first post.  I'm really struggling in this relationship now with my BPD partner.  It feels like everything is my fault, everything I do or say to make things better is being rejected.  There are constant snipes, he just won't even answer my questions now about us or about my feelings or a way forward to make things better.  He just says that I don't listen and that I have hurt him, and he's not moving away from that.  I am getting nowhere, and nothing back.  It's very lonely, and sad, and we have children to bring up in the middle of all this.  I'm at work now nearly in tears because I'm so sick of the daily struggle, put downs, anger, criticism.  I am at the end of my tether with this all, and really don't feel like he is going to get better.  It is easier for him to blame me, he says I have made his condition worse.  I can get that, I understand how as I can be quite pushy, but it's like he's refusing to see that the condition is causing chaos in all aspects of his life, and that it is controlling the lives of everyone else as well.  He looks at me most days like he hates me, the rest of the time he ignores my presence and stares at his phone.  He does interact with the children though.  I hate what I am writing here about how I am treated.  Starting to dislike myself for staying in such an impossible situation.  I know no one can sort this for me, but I am extremely sad, and trying desperately to find a way through to keep the family unit together. Thanks.
PLEASE - NO RUN MESSAGES
This is a high level discussion board for solving ongoing, day-to-day relationship conflicts. Members may appear frustrated but they are here for constructive solutions to problems. This is not a place for relationship "stay" or "leave" discussions. Please read the specific guidelines for this group.

Naughty Nibbler

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 11:42:05 AM »

Hey Jej:  

I'm so sorry you are having problems communicating with your partner.  Validation can be a good tool (minimally, don't invalidate).  There are several communication techniques that can help make things better. Have you tired validation and SET?  It can be tough.  You have your own needs to be understood and validated.  Could your partner feel invalidated?  Sometimes, the first step in making progress with a person with BPD (pwBPD), can be with validation.  It can be even more significant to not invalidate. 

Click on the links (words) below to get to some articles/tutorials for various skills to try.  I don't want to overwhelm you, so just take it a subject at a time.  It can be helpful to bookmark each link, so that you can get back to it easily.  

SETTING  BOUNDARIES

VALIDATION

VALIDATION - DON'T INVALIDATE

AVOID CIRCULAR ARGUMENTS

SET

WISE MIND

SETTING  BOUNDARIES

Validation and SET might be good strategy to try for your next conversation.  Read the lessons and let us know what you think.  Perhaps you can reflect on a recent conversation with your partner. Would you have said something differently, if you tired these skills?  Can you give us an example of what you have tried in the past that didn't work.

Jej

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 05:14:56 PM »

Thanks for these links, I'll read through and see if it can make a difference. He accused me earlier of not talking to him. I was very upset the other night with something he'd done so just went to bed. I often do this to get out of his way. Tonight I tried to make conversation to address his concerns and he hardly even spoke to me, at one point didn't respond at all. It just feels like mind games. All show in public, or ok if he wants something, in private he treats me like I'm worthless. I'll read the links, but starting to get so resentful I even wonder why I should try any more. Thank you.
Naughty Nibbler

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Sibling

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 08:42:49 PM »

Hey Jei:

Hang in there.  Sorry if I overwhelmed you with links and information.  Just take it a link at a time, a category at a time.  Your thread is something you can keep coming back to.  The links below have information about "The Silent Treatment".  You might find the information helpful, now that he isn't talking to you.  People with BPD are very sensitive.  In normal situations, you both probably would have greeted each other this morning, as if nothing happened the night before. 

The validation lessons, might be somrthing to concentrate on first.  It can be most important to NOT invalidate.  We learn by our mistakes.  After you read the lessons on validation versus not invalidating, you might want to review what was said the other night.  Is there something you could have avoided saying (or an expression perhaps), that served to invalidate? 

LINKS TO INFO. ABOUT THE SILENT TREATMENT

https://bpdfamily.com/message_board/index.php?topic=68733.0;topicseen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzoRNh-TK38

https://blogs.psychcentral.com/therapy-soup/2014/11/the-silent-treatment-and-what-you-can-do-to-stop-it-cold/

Jej

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 01:51:03 AM »

Thanks again Naughty Nibbler, I will have a look at the links.  To be honest things are just going from bad to worse, we've had a particularly bad time of late, and whatever I do, it doesn't take away the feeling that I am unhappy in this relationship.  I have become very resentful after years of not being treated very well, and am not sure I have it in me anymore to keep giving.  It is very one sided, it feels as if my other half doesn't care for me or my well being at all. I am in fact facing my own health scare now, and not once has he asked to see how I am.  I'm getting angry at always being second best, always being second to his emotions.  Thanks again. Jej
LightnessOfBeing

Relationship status: Married and regretting it. He went massively downhill immediately after the wedding.

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 08:48:42 PM »

Hi Jej,

I'm so sorry you're going through this; I am, too, and many others here have been right where you are:

Excerpt
I have become very resentful after years of not being treated very well, and am not sure I have it in me anymore to keep giving.  It is very one sided, it feels as if my other half doesn't care for me or my well being at all. I am in fact facing my own health scare now, and not once has he asked to see how I am.  I'm getting angry at always being second best, always being second to his emotions. 

It's very painful to be in a one-sided relationship. I can't count the number of times on the boards I've run into this same issue, people venting about this very thing, they feel that the relationship is radically unequal, with the Non (non-disordered partner) having to endlessly accommodate the unfair behavior of the pwBPD, with effectively zero expectation of having their own needs met.  PwBPD can be so self-involved that it becomes absolute solipsism. These ostensible "partnerships" feel like nothing of the kind. After years of trying to find ways to make these pairings more equitable, and to have their own needs shown any interest by the pwBPD, a lot of Nons (myself included) have failed to turn up anything effective; for some of us, it comes down to either 1. Accepting that the relationship will always be one-sided if the pwBPD remains untreated, and remaining in the pairing anyway, or 2. Deciding that we want something more than a one-sided relationship, and getting out.

The thread quoted below does a good job of reminding Nons about "realistic expectations". In sum, we can't have the expectations we might usually have of what constitutes a relationship:

"A person with BPD is emotionally underdeveloped and does not have adult emotional skills ... .if you are in this type of relationship it is important to have realistic expectations for what the relationship can be in terms of consistent respect, trust and support, honesty and accountability, and in terms of negotiation and fairness, or expectations of non-threatening behavior." 

So we really can't expect any of the things we've come to think of as constituting the basic premise of relationships (respect, trust, fairness, interest in us/our feelings, etc). If we decide to remain with the pwBPD, we have to accept that the only kind of relationship possible with them might be radically different from the kind of relationship we're used to, or want for ourselves.

"Borderlines need a person who is a constant, continuing, empathic force in their lives; someone who can listen and handle being the target of intense rage and idealization while concurrently defining limits and boundaries with firmness and candor".  Essentially, to remain in this type of relationship, we must accept the role as emotional caretaker ... .The non basically has to be the adult and expect, especially pre-recovery, to be the 'bigger person' most times. This entails taking it on the chin, so to speak."

Doesn't sound much like a "relationship" does it?

What I would say, for whatever small comfort it can be, to your current situation is this:

1. No matter how vehemently he insists that "you've made his condition worse",you are not responsible for his behavior. That's FOGging, pwBPD often try to make Nons feel like the dysfunctional behavior is their fault. It's not your fault, Jej.

Excerpt
I hate what I am writing here about how I am treated.  Starting to dislike myself for staying in such an impossible situation.

Please don't dislike yourself for staying. Beating ourselves up is the last thing we deserve. I can truly relate - I still can't quite believe that I'm in the relationship; I have no history of being a person who willingly accepts mistreatment. But I have to forgive myself and practice loving self-kindness. I have to try to get to a place where I'm either finally ready to weather the emotional and financial storm of leaving my BPDh, or where I can accept what is basically a shadow of what a relationship is supposed to be. Don't be hard on yourself. You're in an extremely difficult situation. Nons sometimes need to do some therapy work to figure out why we're letting the mistreatment happen, i.e. why we choose to stay, and gain the strength to make changes, but right now, self-acceptance and self-love are key.

I myself have tried in vain to find a local BPD Nons support group locally - perhaps you might have better luck? If you have friends, don't be shy about leaning on them. When things go bad with a pwBPD, it is a profoundly stressful, sad, heartbreaking situation to be trapped in, and support matters. (I'm actually thinking of starting a Skype group for folks here, there's a need for more support, as many of us don't have local support groups, or access to an individual therapist.)

I'm sorry about your health scare, and hope it turns out to be nothing major. 

Others have been where you are - so many people are going through the same anguish. You are not alone, and, strangers though we are, please know that I care.   

Jej

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 12:42:46 AM »

Thank you LightnessofBeing, for such a long, detailed and supportive reply. Your words are so helpful and true, and I am actually crying as I sit here and read them. Your response means a lot as its a very lonely and confusing place to be. I don't think anyone can truly understand it until they have lived through it. I will read your reply again when I have more time and will let your advice sink in, as I know deep down I did not cause this and I have only tried to do my best by all involved. Thank you x
LightnessOfBeing

Relationship status: Married and regretting it. He went massively downhill immediately after the wedding.

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 02:31:22 PM »

Excerpt
I don't think anyone can truly understand it until they have lived through it.

This is so true. That's part of what feels so lonely about being in the crucible of a marriage to a pwBPD. When we don't have people in our lives who truly understand what we're going through, it can be profoundly isolating. (And this existential - or semiotic? - isolation is, I think, exacerbated by the fact that the pwBPD her or himself completely invalidates our beliefs about the situation, holds an opposite view of the reality of their and our behavior.) To that end, please feel welcome to PM me any time if you want to. It being the internet, people are often wary of invites to personal communication (which is a shame, really), but I'm a normal person, just making an ingenuous offer of 'tea and sympathy', as it were.

Hang in there x

Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest