Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 14, 2024, 04:04:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
How to communicate after a contentious divorce... Following a contentious divorce and custody battle, there are often high emotion and tensions between the parents. Research shows that constant and chronic conflict between the parents negatively impacts the children. The children sense their parents anxiety in their voice, their body language and their parents behavior. Here are some suggestions from Dean Stacer on how to avoid conflict.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dating again; how to explain BPD ex to new/potential partner(s)?  (Read 438 times)
PeteWitsend

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: November 19, 2019, 11:21:58 AM »

Hi all.  was hoping to get a little guidance on this topic.  i've been in a couple short term relationships (more like flings) since I've gotten divorced, and the questions around why I got divorced occasionally come up (some seem curious). 

so specific questions:

1) When I have talked about it, usually not too deeply, I get reactions that have ranged from understanding & sympathy (usually from those who are themselves divorced) to slightly skeptical concern... like I can tell they're thinking "It takes 2 to Tango, Buddy!" and suspecting I share some of the blame

I don't know whether to mention or how to describe what it's like to be in a relationship with a pwBPD.

should I even try, or just leave it as a more general "we just weren't compatible" explanation?

I don't want anyone to think I gave up easily on my commitment (was married 5 1/2 years)

BUT, I also don't want them to think I'm talking about it because I'm still not over it.

2) For those of you in relationships with someone who has a BPD-ex, or have entered into new relationships, how did it come up? 

When did you learn your partner's ex was BPD or possibly BPD if undiagnosed?

Or for those with BPD exes, how did you explain the situation?
worriedStepmom

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Romantic partner’s ex

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 12:58:03 PM »

On our 3rd date we talked briefly about our divorces.  Neither of us knew anything about BPD.  He said something along the lines of - her anxiety was out of control, and he asked for a divorce when he realized she wasn't going to get better because he couldn't let his then-2-year-old be raised full-time in that unhealthy environment.

I was a little skeptical, but he was very sincere, so I gave him a chance and eventually realized how badly he'd understated the issues!   For me, the most powerful statement was (months later) when we talked about our expectations for each other as stepparents. He said "I just want you to show SD what a healthy woman looks like.  I want her to realize she doesn't have to grow up to be like her mom."

You may just need a simple statement like - "My ex has mental health challenges that she refuses to address.  Our marriage was toxic and I couldn't see a path forward to make it better."
livednlearned
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Family other
Relationship status: Married

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 02:15:01 PM »

the questions around why I got divorced occasionally come up (some seem curious)

Something you can say, to run with what you've mentioned is: "They say it takes two to tango and while I can explain to myself what happened, I'm still trying to distill the takeaways in way that others can easily make sense of. I guess what I can say is that I learned a lot about myself from that relationship."

Part of what you're asking is how to have boundaries in conversations that can lead to intimate moments. Using language to go slow is one way to apply brakes if you are the type of person who has a hard time with boundaries.

Excerpt
I don't know whether to mention or how to describe what it's like to be in a relationship with a pwBPD.

Start fresh. Talk about qualities you're working on in yourself to help you be successful in the next relationship. You learned about your values, your limits, what is required to be in a healthy, loving relationship.

Excerpt
I don't want anyone to think I gave up easily on my commitment (was married 5 1/2 years)

This is an opportunity to demonstrate how to others how to treat you. If you don't want to feel judged about something that is so private and meaningful, you can't judge yourself  Doing the right thing (click to insert in post)

If it comes up, and you feel comfortable discussing, why not say, "I take marriage seriously, so going through a divorce was among the most painful, sobering things I've experienced."

Excerpt
I also don't want them to think I'm talking about it because I'm still not over it.

Do you feel you're over it?

Breathe.
mart555

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 02:34:31 PM »

I'd also provide a link to the following books and say "it's more common than you think, they even write books about it because it's so toxic:
Splitting (Bill Eddy)
Stop caretaking the borderline or narcissist..
and a bunch of other books.

MeandThee29

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2019, 07:42:02 AM »

I'm not on the market at all and may never be, but a friend who went through a high conflict divorce recommended Bill Eddy's newer book on dating. She said it helped her frame things in a more concrete way.

I'd run the other way from anyone who says "it takes two to tango." It does because we all have our baggage, but that's a narrow, simplified view. You can't tango with a gorilla who wants to smash you (LOL).
Meandmytwins

Relationship status: Divorced

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 08:37:46 PM »

I recently went through this.  Got divorced  a year ago.  Only went on a few dates (forced myself to go) and then stumbled on an amazing girl who I have been dating for a year now. The question about why the marriage failed always came up. I’m not sure there is a right answer, and my response probably changed depending on who  I was talking to and whether or not I felt like divulging anything    . If I had no interest in my date, I wouldn’t give her much.  No reason to.  What I said to my now girlfriend was something like, “There are some people that mostly see things in black and white, and have a hard time understanding that there are lots of shades of gray in between. Ultimately, it became very hard to compromise on almost any issue, including our kids.  The more complex life became, the more it became obvious that it would be impossible to partner together effectively.  And so I made the best choice for myself and for my kids, and Im 100% confident it was the best decision for the family.” 
   My girlfriend now knows everything and she is totally supportive and all in.  So this is one approach, but more than one way to skin a cat.  What you prob don’t want to do is over share and ramble on too much.  Might be a huge turn off to your date. 
dt9000

Relationship status: Separated

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2019, 02:49:05 PM »

I have found that people don't really 'get it' until they see the pwBPD in action. Whether they are friends, family or a new romantic partner. I've tried to explain the disorder in detail, told horror stories of my marriage, and handed out articles on BPD; but no one truly gets it until they see my BPDex in action. Then they are like, oh I see what you've been dealing with all these years.

So today my first response is to say 'it's complicated' or to borrow a phrase from my attorney "we experienced unhappy differences". If someone is looking for more info I may talk about how I tried for a long time to make it work but couldn't. However that doesn't explain the smear campaign, legal issues and custody struggle. I've realized that true friends and the 'right' romantic partner will understand, and will accept pieces of the story over time.

I'm in a new relationship and around the time of our third date, my BPDex called my new interest and raged at her over the phone for about 30 minutes. My ex did enough stalking to find her phone number, home address, age, family members, place of employment, criminal background (she had/has none), etc. My new interest then called me and we had a long discussion about BPD. LOL! I don't think there is anything one can do to prepare someone for a phone call like that. It's just not something people outside of the BPD community would believe.

dt9000
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest