Home page of BPDFamily.com, online relationship supportMember registration here
May 02, 2024, 05:21:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Board Admins: Kells76, Once Removed, Turkish
Senior Ambassadors: Cat Familiar, EyesUp, SinisterComplex
  Help!   Boards   Please Donate Login to Post New?--Click here to register  
bing
Experts share their discoveries [video]
Caretaking - What is it all about?
Margalis Fjelstad, PhD
Blame - why we do it?
Brené Brown, PhD
Family dynamics matter.
Alan Fruzzetti, PhD
A perspective on BPD
Ivan Spielberg, PhD
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trying to make sense of it  (Read 342 times)
wheretostart0

What is your sexual orientation: Straight
Who in your life has "personality" issues: Ex-romantic partner

« on: March 17, 2017, 05:13:45 PM »

So I dated / was in a sexual situation with a quiet waif. At times it felt like it, but It wasn't a real rs. It was good (the first 3-4 months). She always had a lot of red flags but I ignored them. Chased me.

Eventually I gave in emotionally and she knew it. I never told her I love you or anything but I guess she sensed something. Things took a turn and she was withholding everything from me for the next 3-4 months she was distant (obviously another man) and treated me horribly, barely made an effort to spend time like she used to. I wasn't a saint with the things I said to her but this whole period I was contemplating ending it. Tons of lies and nothing made sense during this time. A lot of circular arguments. I never did and she ended it but I definitely stroked her ego as she departed. Then She tried to drag me along as a friend while she was with other men and I made it clear I wouldn't have it.

Yet she kept reaching out... .wouldn't meet me 1/2 way in the figurative sense and meet. this went on for 6 months. With two fights thru text. Both times pulled the same friend card on me. That was 5 months ago.

In that span she's tried to contact me a few times but I won't engage. I made a really long story short but... .

Am I doing the right thing?
schwing
Retired Staff

Who in your life has "personality" issues: Parent
Relationship status: married to a non

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 05:55:07 PM »

Depends on what you mean by "the right thing?"

For people with BPD (pwBPD) the alternating between "good" periods and "bad" periods in a relationship, regardless of whether or not it is "officially" a relationship, is part of the full package.  It doesn't matter what you do or do not do, after being idealized, you will be devalued.

So if you no longer want to be on this kind of roller coaster ride, then you did the right thing.  Some people miss the ups so much that they're willing to tolerate the downs.  The thing is, higher up you go, the farther down you fall.  If you find yourself missing the ups (and downs), it would serve you to look into why.  Because this time around, maybe it's not that hard to walk away.  But next time around (with someone else perhaps?) it might not be so clear cut.

Best wishes,

Schwing

wheretostart0

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 06:13:43 PM »

Thanks for your post.

It was tough to walk away though I must say.
Very confusing stuff.
FallenOne
Formerly Matt.S

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 02:05:36 AM »

Some people miss the ups so much that they're willing to tolerate the downs.

This... This is why I stayed so long. I kept trying to "get back to how we were" and that phrase came up many times in talks/arguments... The more that time went by, the fewer and fewer the good times became, and the worse the bad times got... .But I didn't change anything about who I was from the beginning of the relationship. So what changed?

If you find yourself missing the ups (and downs), it would serve you to look into why. 

I think the answer to that is easy... The good times in these relationships are so good and so beyond what a normal relationship offers, that it literally becomes like an addictive fantasy that you want to keep reliving... That honeymoon and idealization phase is so good and such a rush, that who wouldn't want to feel that all the time?
Can You Help Us Stay on the Air in 2024?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Our 2023 Financial Sponsors
We are all appreciative of the members who provide the funding to keep BPDFamily on the air.
12years
alterK
AskingWhy
At Bay
Cat Familiar
CoherentMoose
drained1996
EZEarache
Flora and Fauna
ForeverDad
Gemsforeyes
Goldcrest